It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:57 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
:lol:

Holy shit this is hilarious.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... ?gnt-cfr=1

Hall of Famer Goose Gossage wants to punch MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred, stick Brian Cashman in a trash can

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Hall of Fame pitcher Goose Gossage is sitting in a booth in the breakfast eatery, a golf cap pulled down low, his traditional Fu Manchu mustache still covering most of his mouth, and talking about anything and everything that is wrong in the game of baseball.

“People ask me all of the time what I’m doing these days,’’ Gossage says, “and I tell them, 'Nothing but burning bridges.' "

Oh yes, and he spent the two-hour breakfast with USA TODAY Sports detonating each and every one of them.

Gossage, who spent 22 years in the big leagues, experiencing all eight of baseball’s work stoppages until this year’s lockout, blasted virtually every facet of today's game today, including commissioner Rob Manfred.

“I hate that mother (expletive),’’ Gossage says. “You know how much I hate him? I called (Hall of Fame chairman) Jane Forbes Clark before the induction last year and said, 'Jane, I don’t know where you stand with this guy, but I may punch Rob Manfred right in the (expletive) nose and spatter his (expletive) nose all over his (expletive) face right in the lobby of your hotel.

Then again, now that Gossage thinks about it, he may not even be at the Hall of Fame induction this summer.

“I probably won’t go," he says.

It’s his way of protesting the induction of David Ortiz, who tested positive for PED use in 2003 when MLB administered anonymous drug tests. Ortiz’s positive test was leaked in 2009 to the New York Times.

“If we start letting guys in that used steroids, you’re saying it’s ok for our kids to do it then because the stars did it,’’ Gossage says. “That’s why Congress got involved in the first place because baseball wasn’t policing it. We never should let (Barry) Bonds or (Roger) Clemens in, either.

“These guys have already been rewarded monetarily. They’re laughing all of the way to the bank on something that enhanced their performance. Come on, you don’t break the greatest record of all time (Hank Aaron’s 755 home run record) having the best years of your career when you’re in your 40s.

“They’re all phonies to me.’’

Former Yankees pitcher Rich
Gossage, 70, renting a home in Scottsdale for the spring with his wife, was just getting started.

He talked about fighting the urge of throwing New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman in a trash can, believes that Pete Rose should be permitted in the Hall of Fame if baseball embraces gambling, calls MLB managers puppets and coaches glorified babysitters, wants for Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner to sell the franchise, insists that most of today’s GMs are nothing more than Ivy League nerds who don’t know baseball, says baseball is making a mistake if it implements an automatic strike zone with robo-umpires and ridicules today’s players for their lack of fundamentals and inability to beat the shift while batting.

“It breaks my heart to see what has happened to this game,’’ Gossage says. “They tore my heart out and cut it up. ... They ruined the game. I can’t even watch a baseball game."

Gossage, who was a Yankees guest instructor during spring training, is no longer invited after publicly expressing his sentiments a few years ago. He didn’t hide his exasperation with the reliance analytics in the game, and blamed Cashman for embracing the methodology.

“I was going to pick him up one day in the clubhouse, and throw him head-first in a trash can," Gossage says. "All you would have seen is his feet. And there’s nothing he could have done about it."

It’s little different than his sentiments towards Steinbrenner, questioning whether he even likes baseball, or that the Yankees are no more than a business investment.

“Hal ought to sell the Yankees,’’ Gossage says. “He doesn’t want to be there.’’

Well, considering that Gossage no longer is invited to the Yankees’ Old-Timer Weekend, let alone spring training, there’s a good chance he may never cross paths with Steinbrenner, Cashman or any of the Yankee executives again.

And he doesn’t care if he ever sets foot again in the new Yankee Stadium after tearing down the original.

“I swear to God on my Dad’s grave,’’ Gossage says, “‘I couldn’t care less if ever see Yankee Stadium again. ... They were playing in the greatest cathedral of them all, and they tore it down. It was a shrine. It ain’t the same field. It ain’t where the boys played.

“I used to walk into that stadium and the hair on my neck would stand up. You could feel the spirits in there. Now, it’s just a place for all of these corporate mother (expletives)."

Gossage blames most of today’s GMs for the state of today's game, including last season when there were 2,664 more hits than strikeouts, the lowest batting average (.245) since 1968 and an inability to generate rallies, relying primarily on home runs and walks.

“They have no idea about the human element," he says. "Just look at the scouting. They’re getting rid of all the scouts and are relying on computers. The old executives were smart baseball men because they learned the game from those guys.

“And these coaches now, they’re not coaching. All they do is babysit. They’re glorified babysitters with a pension. And you have a nerd in the manager’s position because it doesn’t take anything to manage. You can get an idiot off the street to manage. It’s all numbers. They get the lineup card from the front office, bring in seven or eight relievers in, and the game comes to a grinding halt."

Gossage is fired up, reaches towards a salt shaker on the table, and says, "I feel like throwing (expletive) right now."

He pauses, puts the shaker back down, and tells you there’s absolutely nothing funny about his diatribe.

It’s just Goose being Goose, believing he’s speaking for all of those who are afraid to do so.

“I can’t believe the things I’m seeing when I try to watch a game,’’ Gossage says. “Look at all of the shifting going on. They are giving you a free base, and you’re not going to take it? What kind of baseball is this? I remember we shifted on Boog Powell one series. He bunted like five times straight for hits. We stopped shifting."

Oh, and don’t get him started on the automated strike zone that could soon be on its way.

“Just looking at the screen with the (expletive) strike zone on it,’’ Gossage says, “bugs the (expletive) out of me. If I want to go to a video game, I’ll go to the arcade.

“What they’ve done to the umpires are a travesty with all of this replay. Those umpires do a fabulous job. It’s the human element. Why are they trying to take the human element out of the game? That is wrong.’’

Then again, if baseball is embracing gambling, no one wants to be the home-plate umpire and miss a call in the late innings and be accused of intentionally altering the outcome.

“Hell, if baseball does, might as well let Pete Rose in,’’ Gossage says. “That’s the only thing that would ever bring the game to its knees is if they thought it was being manipulated by gambling. Well, there’s more of a chance now than ever. It just opens the door.’’

Gossage shakes his head, grimaces, takes his coffee cup, gulps down the last drop, and gently puts it down.

His anger has subsided, but his passion is still burning. He loves the game of baseball, saying he was put on this earth to throw a baseball. His baseball career may be over, but it won’t stop him from speaking his mind to whoever wants to pull up a chair and listen.

“It’s just so sad to see what’s happening,’’ Gossage said. “I wish I could do something about it, I really do, but all I can do is say what I believe.

“The game was never broken, so why did those (expletives) try to fix it?

“Now, they’ve ruined it.’’

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:27 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Pretty accurate. He and jack mcdowell a breath of fresh air.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:19 am 

pizza_Place: John's
whistler wrote:
:lol:

Holy shit this is hilarious.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... ?gnt-cfr=1

Hall of Famer Goose Gossage wants to punch MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred, stick Brian Cashman in a trash can

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Hall of Fame pitcher Goose Gossage is sitting in a booth in the breakfast eatery, a golf cap pulled down low, his traditional Fu Manchu mustache still covering most of his mouth, and talking about anything and everything that is wrong in the game of baseball.

“People ask me all of the time what I’m doing these days,’’ Gossage says, “and I tell them, 'Nothing but burning bridges.' "

Oh yes, and he spent the two-hour breakfast with USA TODAY Sports detonating each and every one of them.

Gossage, who spent 22 years in the big leagues, experiencing all eight of baseball’s work stoppages until this year’s lockout, blasted virtually every facet of today's game today, including commissioner Rob Manfred.

“I hate that mother (expletive),’’ Gossage says. “You know how much I hate him? I called (Hall of Fame chairman) Jane Forbes Clark before the induction last year and said, 'Jane, I don’t know where you stand with this guy, but I may punch Rob Manfred right in the (expletive) nose and spatter his (expletive) nose all over his (expletive) face right in the lobby of your hotel.

Then again, now that Gossage thinks about it, he may not even be at the Hall of Fame induction this summer.

“I probably won’t go," he says.

It’s his way of protesting the induction of David Ortiz, who tested positive for PED use in 2003 when MLB administered anonymous drug tests. Ortiz’s positive test was leaked in 2009 to the New York Times.

“If we start letting guys in that used steroids, you’re saying it’s ok for our kids to do it then because the stars did it,’’ Gossage says. “That’s why Congress got involved in the first place because baseball wasn’t policing it. We never should let (Barry) Bonds or (Roger) Clemens in, either.

“These guys have already been rewarded monetarily. They’re laughing all of the way to the bank on something that enhanced their performance. Come on, you don’t break the greatest record of all time (Hank Aaron’s 755 home run record) having the best years of your career when you’re in your 40s.

“They’re all phonies to me.’’

Former Yankees pitcher Rich
Gossage, 70, renting a home in Scottsdale for the spring with his wife, was just getting started.

He talked about fighting the urge of throwing New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman in a trash can, believes that Pete Rose should be permitted in the Hall of Fame if baseball embraces gambling, calls MLB managers puppets and coaches glorified babysitters, wants for Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner to sell the franchise, insists that most of today’s GMs are nothing more than Ivy League nerds who don’t know baseball, says baseball is making a mistake if it implements an automatic strike zone with robo-umpires and ridicules today’s players for their lack of fundamentals and inability to beat the shift while batting.

“It breaks my heart to see what has happened to this game,’’ Gossage says. “They tore my heart out and cut it up. ... They ruined the game. I can’t even watch a baseball game."

Gossage, who was a Yankees guest instructor during spring training, is no longer invited after publicly expressing his sentiments a few years ago. He didn’t hide his exasperation with the reliance analytics in the game, and blamed Cashman for embracing the methodology.

“I was going to pick him up one day in the clubhouse, and throw him head-first in a trash can," Gossage says. "All you would have seen is his feet. And there’s nothing he could have done about it."

It’s little different than his sentiments towards Steinbrenner, questioning whether he even likes baseball, or that the Yankees are no more than a business investment.

“Hal ought to sell the Yankees,’’ Gossage says. “He doesn’t want to be there.’’

Well, considering that Gossage no longer is invited to the Yankees’ Old-Timer Weekend, let alone spring training, there’s a good chance he may never cross paths with Steinbrenner, Cashman or any of the Yankee executives again.

And he doesn’t care if he ever sets foot again in the new Yankee Stadium after tearing down the original.

“I swear to God on my Dad’s grave,’’ Gossage says, “‘I couldn’t care less if ever see Yankee Stadium again. ... They were playing in the greatest cathedral of them all, and they tore it down. It was a shrine. It ain’t the same field. It ain’t where the boys played.

“I used to walk into that stadium and the hair on my neck would stand up. You could feel the spirits in there. Now, it’s just a place for all of these corporate mother (expletives)."

Gossage blames most of today’s GMs for the state of today's game, including last season when there were 2,664 more hits than strikeouts, the lowest batting average (.245) since 1968 and an inability to generate rallies, relying primarily on home runs and walks.

“They have no idea about the human element," he says. "Just look at the scouting. They’re getting rid of all the scouts and are relying on computers. The old executives were smart baseball men because they learned the game from those guys.

“And these coaches now, they’re not coaching. All they do is babysit. They’re glorified babysitters with a pension. And you have a nerd in the manager’s position because it doesn’t take anything to manage. You can get an idiot off the street to manage. It’s all numbers. They get the lineup card from the front office, bring in seven or eight relievers in, and the game comes to a grinding halt."

Gossage is fired up, reaches towards a salt shaker on the table, and says, "I feel like throwing (expletive) right now."

He pauses, puts the shaker back down, and tells you there’s absolutely nothing funny about his diatribe.

It’s just Goose being Goose, believing he’s speaking for all of those who are afraid to do so.

“I can’t believe the things I’m seeing when I try to watch a game,’’ Gossage says. “Look at all of the shifting going on. They are giving you a free base, and you’re not going to take it? What kind of baseball is this? I remember we shifted on Boog Powell one series. He bunted like five times straight for hits. We stopped shifting."

Oh, and don’t get him started on the automated strike zone that could soon be on its way.

“Just looking at the screen with the (expletive) strike zone on it,’’ Gossage says, “bugs the (expletive) out of me. If I want to go to a video game, I’ll go to the arcade.

“What they’ve done to the umpires are a travesty with all of this replay. Those umpires do a fabulous job. It’s the human element. Why are they trying to take the human element out of the game? That is wrong.’’

Then again, if baseball is embracing gambling, no one wants to be the home-plate umpire and miss a call in the late innings and be accused of intentionally altering the outcome.

“Hell, if baseball does, might as well let Pete Rose in,’’ Gossage says. “That’s the only thing that would ever bring the game to its knees is if they thought it was being manipulated by gambling. Well, there’s more of a chance now than ever. It just opens the door.’’

Gossage shakes his head, grimaces, takes his coffee cup, gulps down the last drop, and gently puts it down.

His anger has subsided, but his passion is still burning. He loves the game of baseball, saying he was put on this earth to throw a baseball. His baseball career may be over, but it won’t stop him from speaking his mind to whoever wants to pull up a chair and listen.

“It’s just so sad to see what’s happening,’’ Gossage said. “I wish I could do something about it, I really do, but all I can do is say what I believe.

“The game was never broken, so why did those (expletives) try to fix it?

“Now, they’ve ruined it.’’

HawaiiYou wrote:
Pretty accurate. He and jack mcdowell a breath of fresh air.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Gossage's sports views are the total opposite of if you lumped all the vile Score hosts together.

I'd love to hear his social views. Venture to say he has a deep love of our country, and is a strong supporter of the police.

In the liberal media's eyes he's a pariah. In the real world his views would mirror most taxpayers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:04 am 

Shut up and pitch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I appreciate his fire and pashun, but he's only about 50% accurate on his rants :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Yes a trash can is exactly where that satanic gnome elf Brian Cashman belongs. I miss stoneroses.

stoneroses86 wrote:
“Douchebag of the Week” is just not a sufficient enough time frame to describe the pathetic job performance of this horrible, evil, vicious excuse for a man. I demand an immediate formation of the “Douchebag Hall of Infamy,” with this bitter elf to be the first inductee. He is worse than Hitler. At least Hitler pretty much admitted that he was evil – after all, it is difficult to hide one’s evilness after killing a few million people. No, this Satanic Gnome Elf says to fans of the most Glorious franchise: “I am working so hard to make us better.” BETTER?!? YOU GAVE UP ON THE SEASON YOU RAT BASTARD SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!

Sure, you ask, is it not a bit extreme to compare Satan Elf to a mass murderer? I ask, is it any less horrible to kill one’s dreams? Yes, the concentration camps were bad. But so is decimating a bullpen!!!!

It is a very good thing I no longer live a short drive away from New York you scallywag. I would shove my fist so far down your throat you would likely never speak again from the growth of scar tissue from the ensuing grievous wounds to your teeth, gums and throat. Maybe I would retrieve your larynx as a souvenir. Do you think I am kidding? I would give you the name of a hobo in Providence, Rhode Island who could confirm this story. But he is dead and I do not know his name anyhow. So you will have to take my word for it. TRY ME BEYOTCH!!!!!!!

YOU ARE A LOSER AND A QUITTER!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
vitoscotti wrote:
Gossage's sports views are the total opposite of if you lumped all the vile Score hosts together.

I'd love to hear his social views. Venture to say he has a deep love of our country, and is a strong supporter of the police.

In the liberal media's eyes he's a pariah. In the real world his views would mirror most taxpayers.

My God you are an idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Can someone bullet point the main ideas? Based on what Vito said, I sure don't want to spend that much time reading what that unhinged boomer has to say.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
DAC wrote:
Can someone bullet point the main ideas? Based on what Vito said, I sure don't want to spend that much time reading what that unhinged boomer has to say.

In summary...

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
DAC wrote:
Can someone bullet point the main ideas?

Of what Gossage said? Or, why the consensus opinion is Parkins & Spiegel is one of the Score's all-time worst shows?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
First Van Morrison now Goose Gossage. Whats with the old men yelling at clouds lately? Is there someone sneaking something into their Maypo?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Darkside wrote:
First Van Morrison now Goose Gossage. Whats with the old men yelling at clouds lately? Is there someone sneaking something into their Maypo?

Well Van Morrison has been an angry DB for decades. What I find amusing is how this crazed, angry attitude is both appealing to a certain segment of the board and also somehow considered a predictor of their political beliefs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Well Van Morrison has been an angry DB for decades. What I find amusing is how this crazed, angry attitude is both appealing to a certain segment of the board and also somehow considered a predictor of their political beliefs.

Van Morrison really lost in about a year ago. You should check out his new instant classic "Why are you on facebook". I thought it was an SNL parody song when I first heard it. But no... it's real.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:47 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Shit finds it's level.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:53 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Same goes for u.

Ur as square and predictable as it gets.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Trump Pies delivered by fwank

Thanks, Goose.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Cheap Charlie wrote:

Thanks, Goose.

Goosenheimer might be exaggerating just a smidge. That's not to say Boog couldn't bunt. Anybody can bunt. Because it's easy.