It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
This team would have been in the expanded post season last year, they lost some key guys and signed bad vets..worst team ive seen in my lifetime.. they will finish with less than 45 wins.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
312player wrote:
This team would have been in the expanded post season last year, they lost some key guys and signed bad vets..worst team ive seen in my lifetime.. they will finish with less than 45 wins.

How many times they play the Cubs ? That’ll at least be a season split .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

I remember the Orioles once started the season 0-20. Something like that. It was the early 90s. That was a shit team. Don't know what they finished at. I'll look it up tomorrow.

Horse shit teams are fun at some point. Even if you are a fan of them.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
when the bookies stop using the moneyline and have to use a runline when the reds play, you know you are crappy. the past 2 days the brewers were -1 1/2 runs at -140. covered twice, easily. almora jr. started in CF for the reds today.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:42 am 

312player wrote:

You're a Cubs fan right? Lots of teams to pick from over the years.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
What they have done is embarrassing. They continually ship out good players that did not need to be traded and without getting much in return.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:24 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I'll take the under on 118 loses.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
This coming after comments from the owner's son earlier this year that the only way to make the team both competitive and profitable is to move it.

I know the owners and players got the deal that was available this year, rather than the ideal deal, but this tanking issue is still destroying the game. Both the Reds and the A's entered tank mode this year, and it seems like one or two teams do the same thing every year.

Relegation won't work, because once a team like the Reds is relegated, it will never climb out of the lower division. They either need to set a salary floor or just contract about five or six teams.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:20 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
The Reds are fine. They are not that terrible and certainly not an all-time terrible team.

8 of their next 11 are vs PIT.

Things will even out.

Losing Winker was a huge loss.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
the reds do have a very good one in catcher tyler stephenson. just came back from a concussion and smashing the ball around. given the reds' mngt.'s track record...they seem to be the cheap grocery store for the more ambitious clubs. their pitching is hideous, votto seems done, india is injured, acquino fell off a cliff, while almora is starting in CF and moran is their starting first baseman...enough said.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
they need to get Brennaman back

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:11 pm 

Bagels wrote:

And Pete Rose.

Maybe Zombie Joe Morgan as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:31 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
What they have done is embarrassing. They continually ship out good players that did not need to be traded and without getting much in return.

its probably a plan. money would dictate some teams tank on purpose. cant talk about it, but it clearly happens

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:27 am 
100000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Bagels wrote:

And Pete Rose.

Maybe Zombie Joe Morgan as well.
Well the one you thing you have to understand is that when you are talking about a zombie, its kind of like a second life. Now this second life isn't likely to be quite as good as the first. Now in terms of bases, like me for example at second base, that's when second is indeed the best. Sometimes, zombies might be red. Not as red or as powerful as the Big Red Machine, which I was a part of, but still pretty close.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Reds pitcher throws a no hitter and they still lose.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

Observer wrote:

Technically its not even a combined no hitter because the Reds didn't pitch nine innings.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:14 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Observer wrote:

Technically its not even a combined no hitter because the Reds didn't pitch nine innings.

And somewhere Andy Hawkins has bad memories revisited.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
whistler wrote:
The Reds are fine. They are not that terrible and certainly not an all-time terrible team.

Things will even out.

Even after today's loss, they have won 6 of 10. As I predicted, they did good in those 11 games.

They are now 9-26, which is not historically bad, and will continue to improve their win %-age.

I am the Steve Stone of these boards.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
whistler wrote:
whistler wrote:

Things will even out.

Even after today's loss, they have won 6 of 10. As I predicted, they did good in those 11 games.

They are now 9-26, which is not historically bad, and will continue to improve their win %-age.

You posed naked in your youth?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:27 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
They are better offensively than the White Sox.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:22 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
whistler wrote:
whistler wrote:

Things will even out.

On pace for 40 wins

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:46 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Once the guys get a couple days off, they'll be fine. This long, grueling season has been tough on our fellas.
The violence of running and throwing takes it toll

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:07 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Once the guys get a couple days off, they'll be fine. This long, grueling season has been tough on our fellas.

Like I said in that Sox game thread the other night, I'm not gonna whine about the terrible Sox defense. The defense isn't a surprise. The team was built that way with the apparent understanding that the bats were so damn good that the defensive lapses would be rendered insignificant. That all becomes a real problem when your team OPS is lower than that of a team that is in consideration as the "worst of all time."

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:37 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Like I said in that Sox game thread the other night, I'm not gonna whine about the terrible Sox defense. The defense isn't a surprise. The team was built that way with the apparent understanding that the bats were so damn good that the defensive lapses would be rendered insignificant. That all becomes a real problem when your team OPS is lower than that of a team that is in consideration as the "worst of all time."

Baseball isnt a game that is meant to be judged in such a small sample size. It is not even memorial day yet.

There is no way the Sox offense stays worse than Cincy.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:44 am 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Baseball isnt a game that is meant to be judged in such a small sample size. It is not even memorial day yet.

You wouldn't think so, but it's a funny game.

Anyway, the 2022 White Sox just seem like a misbegotten team. When they get good starting pitching, they have no offense and/or the bullpen blows it. When the offense is good the pitching is terrible. Shit just isn't lining up. And then there are the injuries. And while I don't like manager talk, LaRussa seems to make a lot more inexplicable and statistically unsound decisions than the average guy.

If I have to guess, I'll say it will go like this: at the end of the season when the Sox finish second in the division or make an exit in the first playoff round, there will be enough good things where Steve Stone can say, "blah, blah, blah, one of the best bullpens in the game, a budding superstar in Robert, big steps forward for Cease and Kopech, it's a tough game, even the Yankees and Dodgers don't win every year." He'll conveniently omit that Sox fans have seen a single season in our entire lives where the team won a postseason series.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:23 am 
100000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
I agree, but Memorial Day is getting very close. The knee jerk retort of "Its still early" only holds water for a few more days. Those same people will surely say, "its only June, they have 100 more games left." "Its the All Star break, still plenty of time." "Its August, still 40 games left to make up ground."

Meanwhile 86 wins and a four game division series later, the Sox will have made zero progress towards the ultimate goal. In fact, should that end up being the case this season, I would say that's a step backwards.

Injuries, manager, players not living up to expectations, lack of free agent signings, IDGAF. Find a way to win another World Series, or just go to perpetual rebuild/tank mode like the Reds and Pirates.

I agree with Jorr above. I would love to be wrong, and so would he. Please, White Sox, blow our minds. Make us eat a shitload of crow.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:59 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:
I agree, but Memorial Day is getting very close. The knee jerk retort of "Its still early" only holds water for a few more days. Those same people will surely say, "its only June, they have 100 more games left." "Its the All Star break, still plenty of time." "Its August, still 40 games left to make up ground."

Meanwhile 86 wins and a four game division series later, the Sox will have made zero progress towards the ultimate goal. In fact, should that end up being the case this season, I would say that's a step backwards.

Injuries, manager, players not living up to expectations, lack of free agent signings, IDGAF. Find a way to win another World Series, or just go to perpetual rebuild/tank mode like the Reds and Pirates.

I agree with Jorr above. I would love to be wrong, and so would he. Please, White Sox, blow our minds. Make us eat a shitload of crow.

Frank, the thing is the expanded playoffs change everything. It's early a lot longer when almost 1/2 of the teams make the playoffs. We're going to see a whole bunch of mostly average teams make the playoffs with paltry win totals. What makes the Sox different is they are an immensely talented team. If this Sox roster is healthy on day 1 of the playoffs it's going to be one of the top five most talented teams in the playoffs. When healthy, they might just have the best pitching in the league.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:03 am 

One year ago today the Braves were 2 games under .500 and I am sure their fans thought the season was toast as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:06 am 
100000 CLUB

While I get the expanded (read; watered down) playoffs, I take issue with this;
One Post wrote:
What makes the Sox different is they are an immensely talented team.
The 2004 Cubs were so talented that they had no weaknesses, and what did they win?

The way the Sox rebuild has gone and with what the players have said and their attitudes over the last 2-3 years, this season is a complete failure if the Sox are not playing in the World Series. That's the bar. Win the pennant, or its a failed season. There is not a third outcome for 2022. I've been consistent in saying this since the ALDS ended last October.

Talent or not, the Sox have not played like a Championship team for the vast majority of this season, however young it may be.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:21 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I hate saying this here, but this is reminding me of Tony Larussa's best year here, 1983. I remember flying to New York in the first week of June and a guy laughing and saying the Sox weren't any good.

And then they were. At least until that horrible Friday night. :eye: