It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I found a channel on youtube featuring college and pro players throwing live batting practice to each other. Trevor Bauer and a few others. The camera work is great . Watch the video and decide if that scrawny, unathletic little pissant Bernstein wouldve been able to hit what theyre throwing up there. Best video Ive seen on what its like to face a mlb pitcher.

https://youtu.be/1cMGEvwsjM4

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:10 am 

To be fair, he limited it to a batting cage throwing 95 to the same spot and unlimited swings

On the other hand, you get pretty fatigued swinging 50 times

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
To be fair, he limited it to a batting cage throwing 95 to the same spot and unlimited swings

Agreed. A regular guy can hit a couple in a 95 cage. It'll hurt bad though because a regular guy can't generate enough bat speed. Even with a metal bat. The stinger goes up both arms up into the shoulders. It's awful.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
The chinamen is annoying as shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
badrogue17 wrote:
I found a channel on youtube featuring college and pro players throwing live batting practice to each other. Trevor Bauer and a few others. The camera work is great . Watch the video and decide if that scrawny, unathletic little pissant Bernstein wouldve been able to hit what theyre throwing up there. Best video Ive seen on what its like to face a mlb pitcher.

https://youtu.be/1cMGEvwsjM4

cool video, despite the chinerman. when you first get a glimpse of Bauer's pace it reminded me of first time in little league facing the pitcher with a mustache cracking the catcher's glove in warm ups and being in the on-deck circle and realizing there's no hope but to swing-bunt.

Hard to say how the pitchers were approaching this, but Freeland I thought had the best stuff/most difficult pitches to hit. Bauer's pitchers were straight line lasers to the spot. Maybe/likely Bauer not torquing his arm/wrist/whatever to generate movement. Freeland's pitches jumped around in the zone with less apparent effort. Maybe if Freeland got away from Coors Field as his home field--Freeland's OPS against is 100 points higher at Coors vs away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:28 pm 

Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Agreed. A regular guy can hit a couple in a 95 cage. It'll hurt bad though because a regular guy can't generate enough bat speed. Even with a metal bat. The stinger goes up both arms up into the shoulders. It's awful.

I dont believe that for one second. A "regular" guy like Bernstein wouldn't even bat the bat off his shoulders against 95 in a cage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
WS Dave was able to turn on 98 mph and got some with OK contact in a cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leitq2viZqI

Bernstein would shit his pants and leave the cage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I noticed he finally put on some batting gloves. Way too painful without them. And when he wears down and the bat speed drops...."I'm done". Even gloves won't save you. I'm telling you, even a big leaguer who pokes a fastball one handed for a duck snort, it hurts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I dont believe that for one second. A "regular" guy like Bernstein wouldn't even bat the bat off his shoulders against 95 in a cage.

Correct. I know Bernstein said "Batting Cage" at 95. He said this when he was in his early 40s I think. Said he could hit it. His reasoning was simple "It's just about timing", Bernstein said. Yes, Bernstein. No shit. Goes without saying it's about timing. But you couldn't have done it when you said you could. You still have to see it in a half of a second. Gage it. And get the fucking bat around. You claimed you could have done that at 40? No. I don't think you could have done it at 25 either. Some non pro baseball players could do it. Just saying not you, Dan Bernstein.

And yes, I suppose one would think the fear factor of being hit goes away when it's from a machine. In theory. But I'd still be scared that the machine would malfunction and hit my ass. The fear factor is something Bernstein wouldn't admit to.

I remember drinky saying they were gonna set up Bernstein going to a batting cage and actually try to hit 95. They never did it. That would have been a good radio bit to do that live on the air with somebody doing the play by play.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:10 am 

There are plenty of videos out there of regular guys trying to hit 95 in a cage with a machine pitching .
Bernstein wasn’t gonna be able to hit it .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:32 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Dave played college baseball

I thought Carl looked pretty good

Notice how Dave steps further and further away from the plate after he sees that first one. I think he apprised himself pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:41 am 

and Bernstein isn't 5'8.5"