It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
read a few articles and heard a few conservations on MLB radio. in regards to the cubs:

david robertson to the mets. a package deal with contreras was/is also being considered - considering the mets' C injuries and light hitting catchers. the mets' side claims it makes sense to send the cubs the 11th pick of the 2013 draft, 1B dominic smith and a top prospect. poor-hitting smith has been sent back down by the mets, but he could provide cover and competition at 1B for the cubs' mervis/rivas next year. if smith can hit close to what he was hitting 2 years ago, he'd be the starter. interesting. the mets acquired C perez and 1B vogelbach from the pirates on friday, so, this might have already fallen through.

contreras to the astros/rays. makes sense to me, both maldonando and zunino can't hit their way out of a paper bag. make it happen. the rays got C bethancourt from the a's a few weeks ago, but contreras is a superior hitter.

even if hendricks was healthy - unless he was shutting everyone down....montas of the a's, mahle and castillo of the reds are the top starters being sought by the buyers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I don’t see any vision with this rebuild. Is there any chance they are good within five years?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:50 pm 

yeah, i don't see a defined roadmap....but 5 years is a long time and i believe the cubs will challenge for the division by 2024.

you never know, if the cubs package contreras and hoerner in a blockbuster, i believe that would tell you that the cubs will get one of the free agent ss in the off-season. with hoerner, bad luck for the cubs that judge would be the top ACE non shortstop free-agent. turner, correa and bogaerts...i don't see the cubs making a big signing this off-season. arenado? he'll be 32, i think. joe musgrove P?

otherwise, with heyward and his money ending after 2023 - a few signings and 2 prospects blossoming into MLBers, 2024 can be the return of competitive baseball from the cubs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:53 pm 

I can’t see them moving Hoerner, as I think they see him as their 2b moving forward assuming they spend on a FA SS

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:56 pm 

i like hoerner too...if so, then madrigal is a bench player by the time the cubs may challenge in 2024. hoyer doesn't like tipping his hand, but if he did trade hoerner in a blockbuster, he'd definitely be tipping it. if that happened, a roadmap is partially visible and there's a 99.9% they're getting a free agent ss.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:03 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
i like hoerner too...if so, then madrigal is a bench player by the time the cubs may challenge in 2024.

I think they have seen enough of Madrigal to know he is either a bench player or not on team

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:32 pm 

yes, didn't impress this season at all - but he was the starting 2B on a 2020 playoff team.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I don't know what their vision for the left side of the infield is but I am pretty sure Cristian Hernandez is a very big part of it. Its hard to just assume a guy who only has like 25 games in the AZL is going to be a cornerstone of the future but he is supposed to be that good. He has the potential to grow since he is so damn young and could be 3B. Nico will eventually be at 2b.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:49 am 

yes, heard about him, never seen him play. i'm thinking that wisdom will not be anywhere near the cubs by 2024. i'm thinking the link between now and 2024/25 at 3B will be bote and depending on how the cubs view hernandez at SS or 3B, either him or an upgrade over bote at 3B by 2024/25. i'm not sure about prospect triantos at 3B - if hernandez is considered only as a SS, then the cubs will not likely sign a SS this off-season and move hoerner to 2B. hoerner really blossoming as a hitter, great to see. hopefully, stays healthy.

the braves just lost adam duvall for the season, likely in the market for an OF. ian happ just finished his monday bernstein interview.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Fuck Nick Madigral. Another bad bill of goods from the White Sox, stop trading with them. At least that shit heal Kimbrel was a dud for them too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:54 pm 

wow...tampa, kiermaier and zunino out for the season. yesterday, it was adam duvall of the braves, out for the year. hoyer's got to be taking that phone into the bathroom with him.

not sure which direction the marlins will go, likely stand pat - ss chisholm out for at least 6 weeks. they do have a treasure chest of pitching.

red sox not happy with their OFers...kike is on the DL, verdugo has been a bust and jackie bradley jr. is their j-hey. C vazquez is having a good year at nearly 32, other C plawecki hasn't hit for anything. red sox could be another club looking for both a C and OF. also, not the best relievers on boston. we'll see if they are willing or reluctant buyers. they should have hoyer's number on speed dial.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:36 pm 

When the Cubs trade Contreras it would be nice if they received one MLB ready player in return. I’m not saying they need to get Mike Trout, but at least a minor league guy who has nothing left to prove at the minor league level. Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn’t, but I’ve about had enough of trading players for a raft of 155 lb 17 year olds playing in high A ball.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
It kind of worked out in the Lindor trade. Minor league lottery tickets are generally the way to hit a home run in a trade.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Wily is a rental. No one is trading a mlb ready prospect for a rental. They were damn lucky to get PCA for Baez but that was because he was hurt. The best they can do for Wily is probably going to be San Diego since they can include Hosmer and his contract and up the return. They got 2 MLB ready players from the Sox last year and we have all seen how that worked out.

The scouting seems to be quite a bit better. Most of the guys they got back last year from the core sell off have all done very well. They should be able to get some more quality prospects with all of the merchandise they have to sell.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Wily is a rental. No one is trading a mlb ready prospect for a rental. They were damn lucky to get PCA for Baez but that was because he was hurt. The best they can do for Wily is probably going to be San Diego since they can include Hosmer and his contract and up the return. They got 2 MLB ready players from the Sox last year and we have all seen how that worked out.

The scouting seems to be quite a bit better. Most of the guys they got back last year from the core sell off have all done very well. They should be able to get some more quality prospects with all of the merchandise they have to sell.

Mets would love to have that one back. Big haul for a guy who wasn't having a good year and going into free agency.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 am 

if they want to go lower rent at catcher, the White Sox are currently keeping three with Zavala out of options and playing the best baseball of his career.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:03 am 

The Giants will probably be dumb and keep him, but there are a lot of stories about Rodon getting dealt. He'll be on the fa market next year could see the Cubs sign him just to troll the White Sox.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:51 pm 

Quote:
The Yankees are set to acquire outfielder Andrew Benintendi from the Royals, reports Jack Curry of the YES Network. Royals to get 3 minor leaguers in return.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:47 pm 

wow, benintendi's 3 HRs to the yankees returns 2 prospects and 1 lottery ticket. not bad, for a 3 HR likely rental. i guess the yankees want to win games 14-5, not 13-5. joey gallo on the outs, aaron hicks was the target of early season boo-birds.

Quote:
Turning to the Royals return, they’ll bring in a trio of lower minors arms. Way, Sikkema and Champlain were each ranked among the Yankees top 30 prospects at Baseball America, with Way topping the group at #13 in the system. Kiley McDaniel of ESPN concurs that Way is the headliner of the return, tweeting that he looks like a possible mid-rotation starter.

A fourth-round pick in 2020, Way has spent this season at High-A Hudson Valley. He’s worked 72 1/3 innings of 3.73 ERA ball, striking out an above-average 27.6% of opposing hitters. The 22-year-old righty (23 next month) has posted strong ground-ball numbers throughout his early pro career, and he’s walking a career-low 9% of batters faced. Way’s control has previously been spotty, but BA credits him with a mid-90’s fastball and a promising sweeping slider.

Sikkema was the 38th overall pick in the 2019 draft. The canceled minor league season in 2020 wiped out his first full professional season, and he missed all of last year on the injured list. That confluence of factors means he’s made just 15 appearances as a professional, but he owns a 2.48 ERA with a huge 38% strikeout percentage and a strong 6.3% walk rate through 36 1/3 innings in High-A this year. BA praises his strike-throwing ability and suggests his lower arm slot adds some deception to his delivery. He’ll have to be added to the Royals 40-man roster at the end of the season or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft.

Champlain was a ninth-round draftee out of USC last season. The 23-year-old has spent the entire year with Low-A Tampa, posting a 4.30 ERA with a 30.5% strikeout rate against a 6.2% walk percentage in 16 outings against generally younger competition. Baseball America credits him with a mid-90s fastball and a promising slider.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:40 am 

Not much pop, but 2.4 WAR and OBP of .385. If yanks grab either Montas or Castillo it will be a successful deadline for them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:54 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Ian Happ and Seiya Suzuki will both be 28 6 days apart in August. You know what you have in Happ. SS looks like he won't be a total bust. But, his ceiling looks like it was overestimated. It may never exceed Happs. Also why is Happs high character & extensive charity work deemphasized? Also there seems a big media push on Contreras' leadership. Werent there rumblings that it was lacking in the past? Him telling Morel to take a breath was priceless bs. Apparently Ross told it to him in the ws.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:59 am 

whitesoxfanfrank wrote:
it will be a successful deadline for them.

it almost always is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:14 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Ian Happ and Seiya Suzuki will both be 28 6 days apart in August. You know what you have in Happ. SS looks like he won't be a total bust. But, his ceiling looks like it was overestimated. It may never exceed Happs. Also why is Happs high character & extensive charity work deemphasized? Also there seems a big media push on Contreras' leadership. Werent there rumblings that it was lacking in the past? Him telling Morel to take a breath was priceless bs. Apparently Ross told it to him in the ws.

i'd give suzuki more time, happ has had time, including getting sent down here and there. i'm surprised the yankees 'settled' for benintendi, when happ and other OF are available.

i do believe the cubs will fleece either the rays, astros or padres for contreras. those clubs are desperate for a hitting C. we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:16 am 
100000 CLUB

Make the Angels an offer.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/343 ... ls-trainer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

Give the Angels what they want.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/angels-not ... 13430.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:45 am 

Naquin to the Mets. Was linked to the White Sox past several days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:28 am 

speaking of the mets - expert on mlb radio this morning insisting that the mets will get contreras. rays, astros, padres and mets....hoyer can hold their feet to the fire. astros might give the cubs P urquidy and a prospect, i'm thinking the mets would have to give dominic smith and 2 bona fide prospects.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:13 pm 

Castillo going from Reds to Mariners

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:34 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Career era & whip

Luis Castillo 3.62 - 1.20 (M's give up #1, 3, 5 prospects)
Marcus Stroman 3.65 - 126
Jose Quintana (CWS) 3.51 - 1.25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:41 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Steep price. Mariners are built on pitching and defense, which is a pretty good idea for 2022 playoffs.