All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rule Changes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
How do you propose to reduce walks and strikeouts - your main beef with baseball in the 2020s, per your first post - without fundamentally transforming the core concept of the sport?

I don't have an issue with rule changes as a concept. At one time you could soak a runner.

If the best strategy for winning games renders watching said games unwatchable, that needs to be addressed.

I don't think Jaw Breaker's solution is too radical if it solves the problem. But I'd start by simply enforcing the existing rulebook strikezone- letters to knees- and see what happens.

Bad. I don't need to wait and see what happens.

What do you think will happen?

Hitters can't even bunt because it's SOOOOO HARD. They can't hit the other way. All they do is zone in on what they can hit and look at every other pitch. Ks will be up, RS will be down. HR will be down. You want to wait 3 years to see what happens, that's a different story.

I'm not against it, just for 3 years institute it everywhere else first.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
How do you propose to reduce walks and strikeouts - your main beef with baseball in the 2020s, per your first post - without fundamentally transforming the core concept of the sport?

I don't have an issue with rule changes as a concept. At one time you could soak a runner.

If the best strategy for winning games renders watching said games unwatchable, that needs to be addressed.

I don't think Jaw Breaker's solution is too radical if it solves the problem. But I'd start by simply enforcing the existing rulebook strikezone- letters to knees- and see what happens.

Hitters can't even bunt because it's SOOOOO HARD. They can't hit the other way. All they do is zone in on what they can hit and look at every other pitch. Ks will be up, RS will be down. HR will be down. You want to wait 3 years to see what happens, that's a different story.

I don't think so. Strikeouts are up because hitters get into bad counts trying to coax walks and because of a cultural imperative to "see" pitches. If you open up the strikezone that will force the batters to get up there and swing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:48 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I don't think so. Strikeouts are up because hitters get into bad counts trying to coax walks and because of a cultural imperative to "see" pitches. If you open up the strikezone that will force the batters to get up there and swing.

And they'll fail for quite a while. Years of Lab just doesn't go away with a little spring training. There will be multiple 20 game winners and a record sub 3 ERAs. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, but you have to ease it in. Somehow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Point missed. The structural damage Vegan has pointed out, likely can't be fixed.

The first thing that should be done is knock this drudgery down to 120 games. Less is more. The TV money is drying up as it is, it won't hurt them in that aspect.

The point is, the length of the games isn't the problem for people who actually like baseball.

A 4 hour game is fine. From the little spring training I watched the actual game is more interesting with the faster pace.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:46 am 

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Point missed. The structural damage Vegan has pointed out, likely can't be fixed.

The first thing that should be done is knock this drudgery down to 120 games. Less is more. The TV money is drying up as it is, it won't hurt them in that aspect.

The point is, the length of the games isn't the problem for people who actually like baseball.

A 4 hour game is fine. From the little spring training I watched the actual game is more interesting with the faster pace.

I disagree. Four hours is ridiculous for virtually everything imo. Watching a Buerhle pitched game was glorious. Watching a Cleveland game managed by the Human Rain Delay could be horrible, even with all their talent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
I disagree. Four hours is ridiculous for virtually everything imo. Watching a Buerhle pitched game was glorious. Watching a Cleveland game managed by the Human Rain Delay could be horrible, even with all their talent.
4 hours can seem fast if the pacing of the action is right. Waiting 50 seconds for a pitch which then gets fouled off and they do it again is a grind.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:59 am 

Brick wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
4 hours can seem fast if the pacing of the action is right. Waiting 50 seconds for a pitch which then gets fouled off and they do it again is a grind.

It can, but overwhelmingly does not. As almost a rule four hours is too much for anything. Games, movies, concerts or even three star dinners.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Even a hypothetical game of James Baldwin v. Yu Darvish wouldn't take 4 hours. The problem is a combination of increased bullpen substitutions, TV commercials, and replay. The twitter post is valid, though....they're not gong to bring in new fans with the proposed changes. What they are doing is pissing off the people that actually like baseball.
Pitch clock is fine. Call the legit strike zone....that would be a huge improvement. Shit-can replay / challenges and limit bullpen substitutions and the game will move into a reasonable pace.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:33 am 

All periphery fixes. Time, bases, shifts. Ball on bat is the fix. Early and often. Pitch to contact and see how good the defense is. That was the essence of baseball from the gitgo. The strike out artist was a treat, not a generality. The Home run was a treat, maybe even essential for some teams, but not all 30 of them. No diversity of play. All cookie cutter baseball. If you don't play cookie cutter, you get whomped. That's where we're at.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:47 am 

Nardi wrote:
All periphery fixes. Time, bases, shifts. Ball on bat is the fix. Early and often. Pitch to contact and see how good the defense is. That was the essence of baseball from the gitgo. The strike out artist was a treat, not a generality. The Home run was a treat, maybe even essential for some teams, but not all 30 of them. No diversity of play. All cookie cutter baseball. If you don't play cookie cutter, you get whomped. That's where we're at.

Nardi...I do agree with you that bat on ball is the answer, but there is no way to "ease" that in. The strike zone enforcement needs to happen. It will take time for teams to adjust and evolve to it, but it just needs to happen. Strike outs are fine...the game is still moving. The real problem is the dead time. That's what is killing the game. I'm sure everyone is different, but the ridiculous bullpen changes is what gets me to find something else to do.

Replay has been a failure in just about every sport using it. There's no way to do it quickly...that also has to go. It's just not worth the wasted time.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:54 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Nardi...I do agree with you that bat on ball is the answer, but there is no way to "ease" that in. The strike zone enforcement needs to happen. It will take time for teams to adjust and evolve to it, but it just needs to happen. Strike outs are fine...the game is still moving. The real problem is the dead time. That's what is killing the game. I'm sure everyone is different, but the ridiculous bullpen changes is what gets me to find something else to do.

Replay has been a failure in just about every sport using it. There's no way to do it quickly...that also has to go. It's just not worth the wasted time.

Replay is like taxes and the remote control. Once you have it, you never let go. Bullpens are a sweatshop, no doubt. But teams are locked in on protecting their investment in starters. Not to mention their agents. If you knock the season down to 120 games, it's a whole new ballgame in that area.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:55 am 

Nardi wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Replay is like taxes and the remote control. Once you have it, you never let go. Bullpens are a sweatshop, no doubt. But teams are locked in on protecting their investment in starters. Not to mention their agents. If you knock the season down to 120 games, it's a whole new ballgame in that area.

I completely agree on 120 games for regular season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Hey JORR, if you like 4 1/2 hour 9 inning games, and I know you like horse racing...you're gonna love this

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1127236417900490752?lang=en

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:26 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Hey JORR, if you like 4 1/2 hour 9 inning games, and I know you like horse racing...you're gonna love this

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1127236417900490752?lang=en

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
More balls in play would be excellent, but short of eliminating the ability to get an out via the strikeout, I think it's just about impossible to legislate that more balls be put in play. IMHO, the only thing that gets that to change is if one prominent player, or a small group of prominent players, enjoy tremendous success eschewing homeruns and focusing on getting on base and taking as many extra bases as possible.

I disagree with those who argue that true baseball fans don't care if the game goes long. There are 162 of these things. If we get a Buehrleesque game the clocks in at under two and a half hours, everyone can relax, they'll be another game tomorrow. Four hour games are fine for the World Series, I don't need them on a Tuesday in May.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Warren Newson wrote:
More balls in play would be excellent, but short of eliminating the ability to get an out via the strikeout, I think it's just about impossible to legislate that more balls be put in play. IMHO, the only thing that gets that to change is if one prominent player, or a small group of prominent players, enjoy tremendous success eschewing homeruns and focusing on getting on base and taking as many extra bases as possible.

Agree. Baseball is somewhat susceptible to "the next big thing." I wanna see the Big Red Machine or the 90s Braves. Or more teams like the Dodgers (they have purchased a lot of stars, but they also draft and develop players well, despite giving up on PK14) or the small-ball, pitching-rich Indians. Tired of the softball, no-defense, can't-run-the-basepaths, I-own-a-useless-glove teams. Some have suggested that most of this is the result of the infusion of Latin American players, but I doubt it; they can be coached, too.

I keep waiting for another Greg Maddux to come along so they can re-train pitchers to actually pitch and not blow out their arms.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
On pti Nomar Garciaparra and Mike Hargrove's names came up in reference to the time clock rule. NG '99 - '00 365 426 .601 1.028 155. Hargrove had an amazing career .396 obp over 6694 pa in 12 seasons.