It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 World Series
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Cheaters always win.

Don’t be jealous…

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
It seems like a throwback because of pitching--not just good pitching, but we're not seeing pitchers lifted halfway through the third.

Maybe shoulda left Wheeler in

This.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Dusty wins world series after 2003 Cubs fucked him! Fucking Hee Soap Choi!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:27 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The devaluing of team's best pitchers (starting) is tainting the game. Hats off to Wheeler for speaking up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:27 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Got tricked into a HBP and groundball base hit and he's yanked. I know the laptop probably said "yank him", but there's 10 more outs to get after Alvarez.

Hey laptop, who the fuck is going to get them all?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I find it impossible that great manager Rob Thompson made a mistake. I was assured he was a great manager and great managers don’t make those mistakes.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:15 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
I find it impossible that great manager Rob Thompson made a mistake. I was assured he was a great manager and great managers don’t make those mistakes.

Rock and a hard place if he thought he needed a shutout. Turns out he did need a shutout. So he needed a K or a DP in that specific AB. I myself, would have been fine with a tie after that inning, so I'd have left him in. I'd be wrong too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:24 am 

Fact of the matter is the Astros slumped the Phillies offense. 3 runs in 3 games and that's all there is to it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
badrogue17 wrote:

That was predetermined by the geeks. Their plan didn't have any flexibility, and it cost them the World Series. Sometimes you have to account for the variable that you are seeing. Wheeler had a low pitch count, and he was owning the Astros.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nardi wrote:
Fact of the matter is the Astros slumped the Phillies offense. 3 runs in 3 games and that's all there is to it.

Yeah they did the same thing to the Red Sox last year after it looked like the Red Sox had control of the series. Kudos to them.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:59 am 
100000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Rock and a hard place if he thought he needed a shutout. Turns out he did need a shutout. So he needed a K or a DP in that specific AB. I myself, would have been fine with a tie after that inning, so I'd have left him in. I'd be wrong too.

Alvarez was lost and shaking his head the at bat before. There's a chance Wheeler gets out of that inning without giving up a run. Then Dusty may feel the pressure of a Game 6 that's owned him and a WS win that has eluded him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:08 am 

Nas wrote:
Nardi wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Alvarez was lost and shaking his head the at bat before. There's a chance Wheeler gets out of that inning without giving up a run. Then Dusty may feel the pressure of a Game 6 that's owned him and a WS win that has eluded him.

I didn't catch that. It's one of the important things managers do, or should do, is pay attention to body language.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
vitoscotti wrote:
The devaluing of team's best pitchers (starting) is tainting the game. Hats off to Wheeler for speaking up.

Brought Alvarado into two high leverage situations after pulling the starter and got burned both times.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:42 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Fuck the astros and fuck Dusty.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I don't remember John Smoltz being as insufferable with the minutiae in the past. Blah...blah...blah.They had to be under orders to have as little dead time as possible. The broadcast team had to set a record for amount of words spoken.

Smoltz gave a brainwashed gem giving insight into how the game is going downhill talking about pulling pitchers in the top of the 5th no score. "Hitters are thinking if we can only scratch a run and then let our bullpen hold it". NOT it's the starters game until they lose command and or struggle.

Then after the HR Smoltz weasel talked to cover himself "the more you see a reliever in a series the better your chances are of hitting him."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:20 am 

Pitching strategy is full of contradictions. Don't let a starter compete a third time against a batting order. Put in the guy who's faced the order 3 times in the series.

Also, is the point of paying starters 15-30 million to get to the playoffs or to win in the playoffs? The answer is obviously the former. There's a double standard when you don't dance with the one that brung you as far as the starters, but you do with relievers. The problem with laptops is they compare apples and oranges. Relief is a small sample of short stints. It is not as predictable as the laptop thinks it is.

But what do I know. Organizations universally do it for a reason. They are not out there trying to lose games and destroy baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The Snell game was only 2 years ago, also in a series losing game 6. With all the shit the Rays rightfully took you may have thought the tide would turn with starters. Nope.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
My only real problem with Dusty is him having his little kid son at the post-game press conferences. I don't think he's a great manager and I don't think he's bad.
This Astros team was stacked and IMO looked to be the best in baseball. They earned the win. As a whole, I absolutely loved the post-season. Lots of great games.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:52 pm 

Nardi wrote:

that would imply the score is what determines the winner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

BigW72 wrote:
My only real problem with Dusty is him having his little kid son at the post-game press conferences. I don't think he's a great manager and I don't think he's bad.
This Astros team was stacked and IMO looked to be the best in baseball. They earned the win. As a whole, I absolutely loved the post-season. Lots of great games.

If he hasn't had a great career, how do you define great? I'm not sure there's been 30 managers who have been better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:15 am 

Nas wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

If he hasn't had a great career, how do you define great? I'm not sure there's been 30 managers who have been better.

Credit for constantly adapting. There's gotta be some wisdom there despite what comes out of his mouth from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:38 am 
100000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
Nas wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Credit for constantly adapting. There's gotta be some wisdom there despite what comes out of his mouth from time to time.

That motherfucker doesn't forget anything. I listened to his marathon post-game speech, and he was rattling off shit that happened 30+ years ago like it happened yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:53 am 

Dusty has been around so long, I didn't even recall that he played for the Braves...for EIGHT years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:55 am 

Nas wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Nas wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

That motherfucker doesn't forget anything. I listened to his marathon post-game speech, and he was rattling off shit that happened 30+ years ago like it happened yesterday.

Nardi is correct....the 2022 Dusty did not manage like the 2003 Dusty. We have no idea how he really is with the players, but he certainly didn't get in the way of this team. I'll have to agree, Nas....his resume is quite undeniable.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Nardi wrote:
Got tricked into a HBP and groundball base hit and he's yanked. I know the laptop probably said "yank him", but there's 10 more outs to get after Alvarez.

Hey laptop, who the fuck is going to get them all?

you're pushing your luck, buddy -- that's from my laptop...says it has 3 words for you from its laptop pals: Equifax, Experian, TransUnion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:30 am 

A furniture store owner (Jim McIngvale) in Houston had a promotion whereupon the Astros won, he would completely refund every customer who spent at least $3k on mattresses this year. He "offset" the risk by betting $10MM on the Astros in the preseason and June. The guy won $75,000,000 and is having a refund party next week.

Maybe he can invite Dusty along with the Astros already coming to further piss off the few that are irrationally angry at Dusty's great win and validation. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Irrational? Please.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
BigW72 wrote:

yes, it was bernstein that flew that flag in 2003. over and over and over. the human shield. bernstein wouldn't go in that direction if 2003 happened last week. agreed, astros surprisingly saw altuve slump, but that line-up can pick up 3 slumping hitters. the phillies have a very good club, i liked them early....saw them scuffle badly under girardi and wondered when the phillies would pull the plug on him. i had the phillies losing the series in 6. hitting-wise, the phillies couldn't pick up hoskins and castellanos, while segura was an overall disappointment.

as far as dusty, i bet his club, so doesn't make sense to play and cheer for a club if you want their manager to lose. his recent comments were par for the course in america - he purposely left them open-ended, in the worst sense. regardless, it didn't bother me to see him 'finally' win.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:08 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
A furniture store owner (Jim McIngvale) in Houston had a promotion whereupon the Astros won, he would completely refund every customer who spent at least $3k on mattresses this year. He "offset" the risk by betting $10MM on the Astros in the preseason and June. The guy won $75,000,000 and is having a refund party next week.

Maybe he can invite Dusty along with the Astros already coming to further piss off the few that are irrationally angry at Dusty's great win and validation. :D

"Irrational" would indicate that Dusty came to the Cubs in 2003 and was the consummate professional. That was not the case. His teams underperformed and he was kind of an asshole. Now....I think he took a bit too much blame for the 2003 collapse, but this is the same guy that sat there and blamed a fan for losing a game.

Dusty proved in the end he is very good at managing. Kudus to him....but his behavior while with the Cubs is entirely on himself. I can completely understand why people turn their nose up at him just as they do an asswipe like Todd Hundley or Milton Bradley. Dusty was a complete douche while he was here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:14 am 
100000 CLUB

I may be the only Cubs fan that was bothered by 2004 more than 2003. The 2003 team overachieved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next