It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A-Rod
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:51 pm 

Knowing Boras, don't be shocked if A-Rod gets a contract even bigger than the last one he signed. When he signed the 10 year, $252M deal with Texas, it was exactly double the next highest contract is sports (at the time, KG had a $126 deal). Boras wanted to be able to say he negotiated a deal that was double the previous high. My guess is he's shooting to get over the $252M. 8x$32M would do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:01 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Somebody on ESPN this morning said something about ARod trying to get some ownership of the Yankees. That's just freakin' insane. If that started going down and I'm an owner, I get the hell out fast.

If I have to start giving my team away to every good employee that comes along, forget it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:13 pm 

Soriano just got 8 years, and he's 31 and not nearly the player that A-Rod is. I'm not saying I would endorse it. Just don't be surprised when it happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:18 pm 

I have to admit, the thought of Cuban becoming the Cubs' owner makes me giddy, but it sounds like there are too many obstacles for him to over come (namely Selig and the rest of the MLB owners). I would bet that he would do everything to make a splash if he bought the Cubs, and there would be no bigger splash than signing A-Rod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:40 am 

Cuban + Cubs = Daniel Snyder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:10 pm 

So what will Canseco say about A-rod?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:52 am 
1000 CLUB

Gee Nas, that sounds so familiar. People didn't believe that Bonds, McGuire, Palmeiro, et al at did them either at first. Innocent until proven guilty of course. But with so many baseball players (a majority?) using roids between 98 and 02, the amazing thing will be if it is eventually proven that A-Rod, Griffey, Frank and the other so far untouched by scandal HR hitters actually DIDN'T do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:19 am 

Quote:
I would love for Cuban to become the owner because I know he would try to get him. If Boras wasn't his agent uncle Jerry might even try. He overpaid for Belle and he paid MJ $30M a year.

Yeah, but Michael Jordan is the only athlete in the history of any sport who was probably underpaid at $30M a year.

Host of Chicago Bears Review
http://chicagobearsreview.mypodcast.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:53 am 
1000 CLUB

I don't know whether A-Rod has or has not done roids. But visible signs like muscle mass and head size are just a few of the many indicators of roid use. When I read that more than half of the sluggers in baseball did them in one form or another over a five-year period, they are all somewhat suspicious to me, regardless of what they look like. We buried our heads in the sand for years about this stuff. I'm not about to be naieve again and suggest just because someone hasn't had sudden increases in muscle mass they are definitely innocent.

And the argument that if Canseco has something on A-Rod he wouldn't wait until a second book to announce seems to be a knee-jerk defense of A-Rod. Many, many people have first revealed things in books. It's the way Canseco is making a living. He's not the first to do that. Why reveal something so important to the media and make zero money out of it? Not the way the world works. A long line of political officials and athletes have revealed important issues first in books. That doesn't make them bad guys or any less honest.

Also, while Canseco and A-Rod never were on the same team, they did, according to reports, work out together for some time in their home town of Miami.