It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

Holy shit. Now ESPN is having audio problems on this broadcast and my picture is scrambled.

Thank god they got 756 clean. That would have been embarrasing for ESPN. The reccord with a screwed up broadcast. It almost happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:29 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Holy shit. Now ESPN is having audio problems on this broadcast and my picture is scrambled.

Thank god they got 756 clean. That would have been embarrasing for ESPN. The reccord with a screwed up broadcast. It almost happened.

The home run record has been scrambled also, so it's fitting.

We will look back on this record one day in the same light that we look at McGuire's 70 home runs. We probably already do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

I got the home run clean on my TV. Picture and audio didn't go bad until a half hour later.

The anouncer apologized for the audio just recently and they put the technical difficulties logo on the screen just now.

Jon Miller got to be there for the call on SF radio. He usually misses Sat and Sun of Giants games because he travels for the game of the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:28 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
RodeoVann wrote:
Since I am old enough to recall, when Aaron hit his homer to break Ruths record, the dodgers on the field shook his hand as he rounded the bases, I noticed the Nats players seemed to walk away.

I was glad to see the Nationals almost completely stonewall him while he rounded the bases and during the celebration.

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:55 am 

i watched live as he passed ruth, and when he tied aaron.

for some reason it was fitting that i did not see him break the record.

i had gone to bed, after watching his first at bat--i knew he was going to get it, but i just didn't feel like staying up to watch it. looking at the reply it happened in the 5th so that must have been around 10:30 or so. but i was sleepy.

what was his speech?

nevermind, i'm sure i'll hear it all day long on ESPN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:00 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Beardown wrote:
I'm glad a fan got the ball. Good for him. That will go for a million.

Will it? Anyone remember what the ball that broke Maris' record went for versus the final home run ball that year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:42 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I just can't believe that Montreal doesn't have a team anymore. :(

In all seriousness, I am happy that I was awake to see it live. Regardless of my opinion of Bonds, I still wanted to have the chance to see it live and be able to say that I was able to witness something like that. I'm sure that the steroid talks will go crazy now (if they haven't already). I would guess that something significant will come out of those talks within the next couple of months. My only hope is that Bonds will retire after this season and go hide in a hole somewhere until the next revelation about his drug use. I know the guy wants to hit 3000, but it would probably be in his best interest to leave now and take whatever dignity he has left at this point with him.

San Fran isn't going to sign him again, at least not based on his power production. Their team is terrible and needs a couple years to rebuild, meaning Bonds' $15 million can be better spent elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 am 

Beardown wrote:
What a lousy speech by Bonds. He had nothing prepared. Could have said some nice things about Aaron or something profound. Or even an apology. But no.

Disagree on the speech.
I thought it was better that he had nothing prepared. It was a simple thank you and not some grandstanding Ricky Henderson bull.

BTW,
Last time an athlete said something profound, was: "I love Brian Piccolo"

Beardown wrote:
I hate the fact that somebody got to Hank Aaron and convinced him to give that speech to be played at the Giants stadium. That sucked but showed what a class guy Aaron is.

I Don't think anyone "got to" Aaron.
He is his own man who has remained above this whole cesspool with remarkable dignity. In my mind this speech just adds to his legacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
my fucking cable has been out since yesterday morning....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:09 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
my fucking cable has been out since yesterday morning....

http://score670.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13571

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I guess the thing that bothers me the most about this whole situation is the fact that people are referring to the man as the "best player ever". Yet, everyone still acknowledges the fact that A-Rod is probably 5 years away from breaking this new record if he stays on pace.... and that Ryan Howard could eventually break THAT record when all is said and done.

I'm not debating the importance of this record, however I am questioning those who suggest that Bonds breaking it automatically makes him the "best ever".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Howard was a 25 year old rookie I think. Little late to start a run at 800. I don't think he'll do it.

Everybody keeps forgetting Bonds is coming back next year. Say he gets 10 more this year. He can get 35 next year as a DH and put it at 800. Hell, maybe he'll play the year after next.

I really beleive Bonds wants to put that number as high as he can. That's his only motivation. He's that type of guy. He wants the reccord to be his forever.

Sure AROD looks good. But he won't have the spike years that Bonds had in his late 30's. Plus he could get an injury that could put him out for an entire year and throw him off the pace. Who knows?

Nobody mentions Puljos either. He's got more of a shot then Ryan Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:00 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Stinkfinger The Crow wrote:
RodeoVann wrote:
Since I am old enough to recall, when Aaron hit his homer to break Ruths record, the dodgers on the field shook his hand as he rounded the bases, I noticed the Nats players seemed to walk away.

I was glad to see the Nationals almost completely stonewall him while he rounded the bases and during the celebration.

Speaking of that, I wonder how the Giants players felt knowing they were essentially being forced to celebrate this. I can't imagine all of those players are genuinely excited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:16 pm 

Baku wrote:
RodeoVann wrote:

Speaking of that, I wonder how the Giants players felt knowing they were essentially being forced to celebrate this. I can't imagine all of those players are genuinely excited

I can.
Cause when they weren't tested, they all cheated the same way he did, and probably don't think it's that big a deal.
That's why other than Schilling nobody is taking a stance agains this guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Mustang Rob wrote:
Baku wrote:
RodeoVann wrote:

I can.
Cause when they weren't tested, they all cheated the same way he did, and probably don't think it's that big a deal.

OK, I'll give you that maybe they don't think the steroids are a big deal, but aside from that what about him just being an asshole in general and the way he segregates himself from the rest of the team?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:53 pm 

Baku wrote:
Mustang Rob wrote:
Baku wrote:
RodeoVann wrote:

I can.

OK, I'll give you that maybe they don't think the steroids are a big deal, but aside from that what about him just being an asshole in general and the way he segregates himself from the rest of the team?

I'm assuming that a clubhouse is like any other social setting.
Big assholes always seem to have a bunch dingleberries hanging around them.
The reason Bonds and Kent got into it is cause they're both colossal assholes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:14 pm 

anyone seen h
]is rooki
]e card lately?