It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Helton
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:35 pm 

From the I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin category...
Look at the drop in his power since this rumor came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
He's also been really broken down, too, and 32 is the age traditionally where power hitters hit a wall and their hrs/ab drop precipitously. With the exceptions of Bonds, Palmiero, and Aaron (whose HR/ab numbers were never that stellar anyway) that 32 y.o. threshold is pretty consistent throughout eras.

Todd Helton turned 32 in 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:58 pm 

I'm sure age is a factor, but if you look at his games played & AB's they indicate minimal down time.
His BB/K stats don't seem to point to a change in plate discipline.
His Doubles & Triples seem to indicate no drop off in his speed.

I will point out that his runs scored & driven in can be attributed to lack of protection in the line up, which may also be a valid reason for the power drop off.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Helton would be among NL leaders if you analyzed HR drop off since testing was implemented.
He's down 50%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Power numbers in general are down now.
Remember back when 40 HR's was like WOW?
Those days are returning.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:15 pm 

But that's not unusual among sluggers. And it seems to be very particular to the age 32- there's a real threshold there unlike any other age. It's not the same as speed or plate discipline or anything else. Before the steroid era, there really was only one slugger who ever bucked that trend, and that was Hank Aaron, and that was largely because that HR/ab ratio never was as high as some of the others to begin with. That's why Alex Rodriguez will never hit 800 HRs- unless he's juicing, this year is pretty much probably going to be the last hurrah as far as power goes, at least if history is any indication.

He had a big drop-off between 2001 and 2002 as well, and he never really came close to matching the numbers he was hitting before 2002.

I just worry about pointing to every person who had a decline and saying- hey, look at that! There must have been something going on there! Especially when the stat projections are so normal by historical slugger standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:03 am 

All true Irish,
but none of those other sluggers have had a former team announcer come out and say that you are on the junk. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:09 pm 

That's true, but I don't find the creatine/steroids story to be that unbelievable, especially based on the fact that when I mention to people that I'm cycling on/off creatine, they look at me like I just said I've been shooting androsteindione into my ass three times a week. People who don't know the prodcts don't know what's a respectable product and what's an anabolic steroid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:22 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
That's true, but I don't find the creatine/steroids story to be that unbelievable, especially based on the fact that when I mention to people that I'm cycling on/off creatine, they look at me like I just said I've been shooting androsteindione into my ass three times a week. People who don't know the prodcts don't know what's a respectable product and what's an anabolic steroid.

I don't know how much the product has changed from when I last used creatine (10 years ago), but the results were staggering and I stopped basically because I couldn't imagine something would work that well and not have some serious negative side effects. If this is a legal substance for athletes in baseball, then that's all they should need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:04 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:

I felt that way about McGwire until the senate hearings :evil:
Now I don't believe any of those guys. They all did it as far as I'm concerned.
Look at Brian Giles (even though Petco might be a factor), Ryan Klesko, Tejada, Shawn Green, Beltre, Edmonds, Javy Lopez, Brett Boone, Abreu...(im sure I'm missing some others)