It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Opening Day
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:52 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Apologist wrote:
They pitch around him. Albert's eye is just so good. And they have Holliday and Ludwick behind him.

Don't forget about Rasmus. He is going to have a break out year.

I agree. He's a top 20 OF by the end of this year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Well he hit .250ish with 16 bombs hitting in front of Pujols last year. Could definitely improve as a run producer, especially against left handers. Today LaRussa has him hitting 5th between Holliday and Ludwick. I'll wait until he has more of a body of work before I declare him the next Ray Lankford.

*edit, forgot to mention, he went yard today as well

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Apologist wrote:
Well he hit .250ish with 16 bombs hitting in front of Pujols last year. Could definitely improve as a run producer, especially against left handers. Today LaRussa has him hitting 5th between Holliday and Ludwick. I'll wait until he has more of a body of work before I declare him the next Ray Lankford.

I watched him kick our asses in when he was a springfield cardinal in at least 25 games. He is the goods. Tremendous power back then and he has room to grow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
8)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:30 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
8)

+162

I.Am.Ready.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:41 am 
100000 CLUB

Fuck it, I'm quoting the whole goddam thing. :lol:
I used to re-read this book all the time around the time spring training started. Haven't in the last few years, but still doesn't take away from how cool a book it is.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
...or opening day. Depending on how you feel about it.

I got a wire from Toots Shor in Anahiem before the game. It said, "Good luck, Jim. I hope you pitch often and win many games." Who says Toots never talks to has beens?

Actually, I don’t know Toots that well. I’ve been in his place a few times and once when I was going bad he told me my whole problem was that I was striding three inches too far and if I just shortened up on the stride by those three inches everything would be fine. I was so desperate I actually tried it. It didn’t help.

Everyone works out pregame nervousness in his own way. Tommy Davis was standing in the middle of the clubhouse taking a hitting stance with no bat in his hands, anticipating the pitching, striding into it, checking his swing, and then going back and doing it all over again. It reminded me of a guy going over his notes just before a final exam knowing all the time that it wasn’t going to do any good. If you don’t have it by now, Tommy, you’re never going to.

There was a lot of grousing about th uniforms. It isn’t only that they don’t fit (no baseball uniforms fit, possibly because you are carefully measured for them). Its thats they’re so gaudy. I guess thats because we’re the Pilots and we have to have captain’s uniforms. They have stripes on the sleeves, scrambled eggs on the peak of the cap, and blue socks with yellow stripes. Also, there are blue and yellow stripes down the sides of the pants. We look like goddam clowns. There only worse looking uniforms are the ones they wear in Vancouver.

Naturally, we won our first game. Beat the Angels 4-3. Mike Hegan hit the first home run for the Pilots and Joe Schultz, jumping up and down in the dugout, clapped his hands and actually yelled, "Hurray for our team."

When we came into the clubhouse, all of us yelling and screaming like a bunch of high school kids, Joe Schultz said, "Stomp on ’em. That-a-way to stomp on ’em. Kick ’em when they’re down. Shitfuck. Fuckshit. Now go out and pound the ol’ Budweiser and stomp ’em tommorow. Stomp ’em good."

Already we’re better than the Mets.

-Jim Bouton, Ball Four pp. 103-4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:51 am 

Joy :roll: The festivities kick off with of course the glorious yankees. This is not what i want to watch to start the season. Actually I think I get the Reds home games so I've got that going if I don't have to work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
If the Brewers are ready to make a move, it doesn't help when your closer gives up a 3 run lead in the ninth.

Of course the Brewers, first team to get messed over by the Umpires, a guy make a diving catch in the 3rd or 4th and the umps says it hits the ground, replay shows clearly a catch. Then in the bottom of the ninth, there was an intresting play where the 3rd baseman gets the ball looks like he tags the runner, but the umps say he didn't, so bases loaded and no outs, instead of 1 out and 1st and 2nd.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

:drunken: :drunken:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Mike Matheny for manager of the year!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Its time 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:32 pm 

So MLB chose to open with the Astros?????????????????? At least its not the Yankees I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:38 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:40 pm 

Apologist wrote:

I watched him kick our asses in when he was a springfield cardinal in at least 25 games. He is the goods. Tremendous power back then and he has room to grow.

He's pretty much a bust-y bitch at this point. Or Canadian, however you prefer to describe it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
So MLB chose to open with the Astros?????????????????? At least its not the Yankees I guess.

As Jackie Chiles said, "This is the most public yet of my many humiliations." :lol:

Seriously though, this is going to be a loooonnnnng season. :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 pm 

Houston Homer wrote:

As Jackie Chiles said, "This is the most public yet of my many humiliations." :lol:

I can't imagine how weird it is to have your team switch leagues. Going from the NL central to the AL west is just beyond weird.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:00 pm 

Houston Homer wrote:

I can't imagine how weird it is to have your team switch leagues. Going from the NL central to the AL west is just beyond weird.

It IS weird! I have to learn a new league, a new division, players on the AL West teams (except for that motherfucker Pujols! :evil: )...FFS, I even have to learn the Astros' roster!! :roll:

I'm going to watch at least the first inning or two while I eat my Easter leftovers. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:09 pm 

The Houston right fielder that I have never heard of is sporting some serious ink.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:13 pm 

Bud Norris has a perfect game going!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:18 pm 

Bud Norris has a perfect game going!!!!

Woohoo!!

And our first at bat was a hit!

And oh hell, he was SAFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 pm 

Safe. Terrible call.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:31 pm 

Like the Astros uniforms.

Strange seeing AJ in a Ranger uniform

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:52 pm 

Another blown call. That was clearly a trap.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:45 pm 

Orel and Kruk are an entertaining listen

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:27 am 
100000 CLUB

w00t!

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I got a wire from Toots Shor in Anahiem before the game. It said, "Good luck, Jim. I hope you pitch often and win many games." Who says Toots never talks to has beens?

Actually, I don’t know Toots that well. I’ve been in his place a few times and once when I was going bad he told me my whole problem was that I was striding three inches too far and if I just shortened up on the stride by those three inches everything would be fine. I was so desperate I actually tried it. It didn’t help.

Everyone works out pregame nervousness in his own way. Tommy Davis was standing in the middle of the clubhouse taking a hitting stance with no bat in his hands, anticipating the pitching, striding into it, checking his swing, and then going back and doing it all over again. It reminded me of a guy going over his notes just before a final exam knowing all the time that it wasn’t going to do any good. If you don’t have it by now, Tommy, you’re never going to.

There was a lot of grousing about the uniforms. It isn’t only that they don’t fit (no baseball uniforms fit, possibly because you are carefully measured for them). Its thats they’re so gaudy. I guess thats because we’re the Pilots and we have to have captain’s uniforms. They have stripes on the sleeves, scrambled eggs on the peak of the cap, and blue socks with yellow stripes. Also, there are blue and yellow stripes down the sides of the pants. We look like goddam clowns. There only worse looking uniforms are the ones they wear in Vancouver.

Naturally, we won our first game. Beat the Angels 4-3. Mike Hegan hit the first home run for the Pilots and Joe Schultz, jumping up and down in the dugout, clapped his hands and actually yelled, "Hurray for our team."

When we came into the clubhouse, all of us yelling and screaming like a bunch of high school kids, Joe Schultz said, "Stomp on ’em. That-a-way to stomp on ’em. Kick ’em when they’re down. Shitfuck. Fuckshit. Now go out and pound the ol’ Budweiser and stomp ’em tommorow. Stomp ’em good."

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:01 am 

Now it feels like Opening Day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

Yes.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

There was a lot of grousing about th uniforms. It isn’t only that they don’t fit (no baseball uniforms fit, possibly because you are carefully measured for them). Its thats they’re so gaudy. I guess thats because we’re the Pilots and we have to have captain’s uniforms. They have stripes on the sleeves, scrambled eggs on the peak of the cap, and blue socks with yellow stripes. Also, there are blue and yellow stripes down the sides of the pants. We look like goddam clowns. There only worse looking uniforms are the ones they wear in Vancouver.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:

And another year begins...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:36 pm 

i don't like this set up. this lone TB/NYY game feels strange. i know they do the sunday night thing now but monday still feels like the actual opening day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
W_Z wrote:
i don't like this set up. this lone TB/NYY game feels strange. i know they do the sunday night thing now but monday still feels like the actual opening day.

Yeah, it's stupid that they watered it down. At least it's not as bad as having two teams start in Japan like a week early or whatever that stupid shit was.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next