It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iwamura to Pirates
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:14 pm 

I thought Pud put a moratorium on transactions during the WS??

A trade of Akinori Iwamura to the Pirates could be announced on Friday, according to the St. Petersburg Times and SI.com.

According to ESN's Buster Olney, reliever Jesse Chavez will be the return and the Rays will give up another player in the deal.

Post subject: Re: Iwamura to Pirates
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 pm 

Pud can't be happy about this.

The deal is official, as per a press release by the Pirates. The deal is Chavez for Iwamura straight-up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
There's no game until tomorrow's Game 6. Chew on this, too. The White Sox signed backup infielder Jayson Nix from the Colorado Rockies during last year's "Fall Classic", plus there was a break in the action when the Cubs officially had the press conference for Tom Ricketts to become the team's new owner this year...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
When will Iwamura become a Cub? My guess is two weeks before the trade deadline.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:19 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
When will Iwamura become a Cub? My guess is two weeks before the trade deadline.

I think it's safe to say you don't want Jeff Baker or Mike Fontenot patrolling second base on the North side next year...Besides, the Pirates are the modern-day Montreal Expos. Moment of silence please for the Expos...Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 pm 

SHARK wrote:
There's no game until tomorrow's Game 6. Chew on this, too. The White Sox signed backup infielder Jayson Nix from the Colorado Rockies during last year's "Fall Classic", plus there was a break in the action when the Cubs officially had the press conference for Tom Ricketts to become the team's new owner this year...

You sure about that one Shark? I think Nix was signed a day or two after the '08 WS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:55 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
SHARK wrote:

You sure about that one Shark? I think Nix was signed a day or two after the '08 WS.

It was right around that time, Keyser, when Nix signed with the Sox...Besides, if he's coming back to the Southside next year, give the guy a new number!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:16 am 

Iwamura makes $4.85M which would make him the Pirates highest paid player. What a joke. That's why I think Major League Baseball needs a salary minimum more than it needs a salary cap. These small market teams figure they're not going to win so they pocket all the TV and luxary tax money instead of spending it to improve their shitty team. MLB would be much more competetive if there were a salary floor.