It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot stove
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:25 am 

We have the first big signing of the offseason:

The Braves have agreed to sign Billy Wagner. The deal is worth $7MM and includes a $6.5MM option for 2011 that vests if Wagner finishes 50 games.

Pretty good deal for the Braves but a GREAT deal for the Red Sox. They will receive Atlanta's 1st rounder (20th) and a supplemental pick. Theo picked up Wagner at the deadline from the Mets for two marginal prospects. It's moves like this that makes him one of the best GM's in baseball and Omar Minaya one of the worst.

Post subject: Re: Hot stove
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Hasn't Billy Wagner had shoulder issues the last couple years? Needless to say, Billy's best years are well behind him and the Braves might be getting a lefty closer that's all washed up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
SHARK wrote:
Hasn't Billy Wagner had shoulder issues the last couple years? Needless to say, Billy's best years are well behind him and the Braves might be getting a lefty closer that's all washed up.

Shark - now you know this is going to end up as someone's signature when Wagner wins Comeback Player of the Year, right?

Your luck in the prognostication business has not been good my friend - :wink:

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:26 pm 

Touche on that... :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:56 pm 

Placido Polanco signs 3yr/$18M deal with Phillies.

I thought DeRosa was a lock to be the Phils next 3rd baseman. I like the signing and money but the years may be a little long (he's 33 yrs old) . I don't think he'll have a problem switching back to 3B.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:13 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Placido Polanco signs 3yr/$18M deal with Phillies.

I thought DeRosa was a lock to be the Phils next 3rd baseman. I like the signing and money but the years may be a little long (he's 33 yrs old) . I don't think he'll have a problem switching back to 3B.

Keyser, let's hope he makes the adjustment. At last check, the Phillies have a really good second baseman that could've won the MVP on the losing side in the World Series, Chase Utley.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
Braves Sign Takashi Saito
By Mike Axisa [December 3 at 3:57pm CST]
3:57pm: Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com has the contract details. Saito will earn a $3.2MM base salary with another $2.3MM in incentives. Interestingly, all but $500K of the incentives are based on games finished, which should be Wagner's department.

the braves seem to spending some $$$ in order bobby cox off in style his last year...they just need a bat now...

Mets Sign Henry Blanco
By Tim Dierkes [December 3 at 5:48pm CST]
THURSDAY, 5:48pm: Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post confirms the agreement and adds that an announcement will come tomorrow or Saturday (via Twitter).

5:46pm: Blanco agreed to a one-year pact worth $1.5MM according to a tweet from Francisco Blavia of ESPN Deportes passed along by Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog.

looks like the chi soxs back up cather got away....

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:53 am 

sox were interested in both guys

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:51 am 

Marco Scutaro signed a two-year deal with the Red Sox worth $10 million in base salary.

Even Stevie Wonder could see this one coming.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:08 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Marco Scutaro signed a two-year deal with the Red Sox worth $10 million in base salary.

Even Stevie Wonder could see this one coming.

Keyser, there was talk out East about Dustin Pedroia being asked to play shortstop if the Red Sox didn't find anyone to replace Alex Gonzalez, who I think has bolted Boston via free agency...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:34 pm 

Looks like Figgens is going to sign with the Mariners. Figgens and Ichiro would work at the top of an order.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:36 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Looks like Figgens is going to sign with the Mariners. Figgens and Ichiro would work at the top of an order.

Chone Figgins a Mariner? If I'm not mistaken, Chone wants a lot of $$$$ as arguably MLB's biggest free agent prize...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:37 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I can't see Figgins going to Seattle GD. Stranger things have happened, but I think he ends up in either Boston or NY.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:40 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I can't see Figgins going to Seattle GD. Stranger things have happened, but I think he ends up in either Boston or NY.

During the regular season, Dave, FOX Sports' MLB Insider Ken Rosenthal mentioned something about Figgins possibly sporting the Yankee pinstripes...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 pm 

SHARK wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

During the regular season, Dave, FOX Sports' MLB Insider Ken Rosenthal mentioned something about Figgins possibly sporting the Yankee pinstripes...

I figured the Mets actually but it wouldn't surprise me (or anyone) if he ended up in pinstripes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:59 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

And they have Dustin Ackley not far away. If they sign Figgins, Seattle could have one of the best offenses in baseball in the next year or two.

I still think LAA matches the offer and resigns Figgins.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:19 pm 

DegenerateDave wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

mlb rumers.com has seattle offering 3-4 yrs 40-45 mil....cant see anyone topping that, but they still need a big bat and to lock up king felix

Nice Guys Finish Last

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 am 

10:03pm: Not sure if this moves the story forward, but the AP says the Mariners and Figgins have a preliminary agreement on a four-year, $36MM deal.

9:21pm: Brown tweets that "Angels officials concede (that) Figgins (is as) good as gone to M's."

9:04pm: Stark says that the two sides are "very close" to finalizing a deal. He adds that Figgins would be guaranteed $36MM over four years, and there are indications that the deal will include a vesting option that could push the value of the contract to $45MM.

Nice Guys Finish Last

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:01 am 

I refuse to believe this, our own Deg Dave said he was going to NY.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:21 pm 

happy to hear the Tigers are going to trade Jackson...the Sox may be contenders by default

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:23 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
happy to hear the Tigers are going to trade Jackson...the Sox may be contenders by default

Good Dolphin, I've heard the Tigers want to slash payroll themselves. That may explain why Placido Polanco is now a Phillie...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

The White Sox are probably the favorites in this division right now without any other moves.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:08 pm 

Foxsports.com is reporting a possible 3 team trade, with the Yanks getting Granderson and the D-Backs getting Jackson. Didn't give the rest of the players involved.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:23 am 

Yankees discussing 3-team blockbuster

--- The Yankees' effort to acquire center fielder Curtis Granderson from Detroit intensified yesterday when Arizona joined the process. Two club sources said the Yankees spent the first day of the Winter Meetings talking to the Tigers and Diamondbacks about the possible blockbuster deal. the teams discussed a three-way trade that would bring Granderson to The Bronx, send pitcher Edwin Jackson from Detroit and Ian Kennedy from the Yankees to Arizona, and the Tigers would receive right-hander Max Scherzer from Arizona as well outfield prospect Austin Jackson, and left-handed relievers Mike Dunn and Phil Coke from the Yankees.

---1:55am: Joel Sherman provides us with a new rumor, stating that he's learned the Mets and Brewers are discussing a swap of John Maine and Corey Hart. He adds that the Mets are also discussing Kevin Millwood with the Rangers.

Maine and Hart both had down years in 2009, as Maine found himself limited to just 81.1 innings due to injury, while Hart posted a line of .260/.335/.418 and watched his slugging percentage continue to trend downward for the second straight season.

Both players will be arbitration eligible for the second time this season. Maine made $2.6MM last year while Hart earned $3.25MM.

The Brewers would likely welcome the chance to add an arm, though Maine's injuries the past two seasons have to be a red flag. In a similar vein, while Hart has shown in the past that he can be the power-hitting, right-handed corner outfielder the Mets want, his .418 slugging percentage and 12 HR in 2009 are a long way removed from his 24 HR and .539 slugging percentage of 2007.

Nice Guys Finish Last

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:52 pm 

The Cardinals have agreed to terms with Brad Penny on a one-year, $7.5 million + incentives. Good deal for the Cardinals. Penny will slide into Piniero's spot behind Carpenter and Wainright and be the next Dave Duncan reclamation project to win 15 games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:58 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
The Cardinals have agreed to terms with Brad Penny on a one-year, $7.5 million + incentives. Good deal for the Cardinals. Penny will slide into Piniero's spot behind Carpenter and Wainright and be the next Dave Duncan reclamation project to win 15 games.

:evil: Its true

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:20 pm 

The Yankees get Curtis Granderson, the D'Backs get Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy, and the Tigers get Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Austin Jackson, and Phil Coke.

This is a GREAT trade for the D'Backs and Yankees. I have no idea what the Tigers are thinking. Austin Jackson will be a STUD but the jury is still out on the other 3. Jackson is 2 years away from free agency and Granderson is signed for 3 years (and an option). I don't think they got nearly enough in return for those two.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:27 pm 

Pudge to the Nats for 2 years, per the Score this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East - Pepperoni & Garlic Deep Dish
good dolphin wrote:

He was a guy I was hoping the Cubs would target.

Ichiro and Figgins at the top of the Seattle lineup is pretty damn good.

Granderson to the Yanks, not surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:05 pm 

Mariners finalized the deal with 3B Chone Figgins on a four-year, $36 million contract.

Hell of a signing for the M's but a special shoutout goes to Kenji Johjima for opting out of his 2yr/$16M contract.