It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hall of Fame ballot
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
stoneroses86 wrote:
Angry Ryno wrote:
Mickey Charles Mantle Similiar Scores
Ted Kennedy
Boris Yeltzen
Billy Joel
Ed McMahon
John Daly
Amy Winehouse
David Crosby
David Hassellhoff
Ben Affleck
Craig T. Nelson

I WAS ALSO BETTER THAN ANY 2B IN YANKEE HISTORY

Other than this brief response, which I will deem, for our purposes, as a non-respone, I will not respond to this vicious character assasination. Good luck in prison.

Well, Mantle has done one thing that nobody (or very few) HOF'ers have done. Drank thru thier first liver, and got a second one in front of hundreds of others far deserving.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Well, Mantle has done one thing that nobody (or very few) HOF'ers have done. Drank thru thier first liver, and got a second one in front of hundreds of others far deserving.

Our very own Frank Costanza is like an annoying, pesky mosquito, and I am like a strong and proud African lion (although I am not actually from an African background - put quite simply, I am unaware of lions living anywhere other than in Africa - I am not counting mountain lions). Obviously, I am far stronger and more powerful than the pesky mosquito, but that pesky mosquito has a knack for irritating me to the point where I have to lash out, oft times unsuccessfully, with my giant fangs or tail. While that mosquito is definitely irritating, it is definitely not life-threatening, unless, again, one were to live in Africa, which I presently do not. Let us just say that I might stick out like a sore thumb, except in South Africa. The pesky Costanza mosquito, however, can certainly ruin a nice picnic, symbolically represented by The Chicago Sports Fan Message Board.

This particular annoying mosquito happens to be a White Sox fan. All of this fits together rather nicely, as the White Sox are the mosquito of the African savanna, while The GIorious Twenty-Seven (27) Time World Champion New York Yankees are the "King of the Jungle and/or Savanna." Instead of a constant, maddening BUZZZZZZING noise, this Frank Costanza mosquito chatters on and on, all the while displaying a deep hatred and jealousy for all things related to The Glorious New York Yankees.

I wish Frank Costanza nothing but the best in the year ahead, and I consider him a great internet friend, despite his mosquito-like tendencies.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Most of the time in the jungle, its not the big bad lions or tigers that kill you, but the little mosquitos and other insects that spread disease. I'm probably even more dangerous than you, Lioness.

No thoughts on Mantle's ruining his first liver with alcohol, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Most of the time in the jungle, its not the big bad lions or tigers that kill you, but the little mosquitos and other insects that spread disease. I'm probably even more dangerous than you, Lioness.

I will take my chances with the mosquito and insects.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
No thoughts on Mantle's ruining his first liver with alcohol, eh?

I wasn't aware that my thoughts had been requested as to a matter which has been well documented and which is public knowledge. Based upon your specific request, however, I hereby concede that Mickey Charles Mantle greatly damaged his liver due to the excessive consumption of intoxicants.

You got me!

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

Thanks. In other words, you have no real thoughts on the matter. Just as I suspected.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Mickey only drank in places with a "2 liver minimum"!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ?eref=sihp

Very enjoyable article I read over lunch from a guy who actually gets to vote. He provides his take
on all 20+ players up for enshrinement and makes a good case for many who likely won't get in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:55 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/01/04/hall.ballot/index.html?eref=sihp

Very enjoyable article I read over lunch from a guy who actually gets to vote. He provides his take
on all 20+ players up for enshrinement and makes a good case for many who likely won't get in.

Yeah that dude is from KC, he is alright.

But come on, he has Dale Murphy getting in and Dawson and Parker not?

That is reason enough to ignore his thoughts.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
RFDC wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/01/04/hall.ballot/index.html?eref=sihp

Yeah that dude is from KC, he is alright.

But come on, he has Dale Murphy getting in and Dawson and Parker not?

That is reason enough to ignore his thoughts.

I admit the Dale Murphy talk was a little off the wall but he made some interesting
points on the other two that I hadn't heard or read before. Some of the names on
the ballot made me chuckle to myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:29 pm 

He gave Harold a little love but not nearly enough. He fails to point out that Harold has more hits (2,866) than anyone NOT in the Hall of Fame and more than Hall of Famers Brooks Robinson, Charlie Gehringer, George Sisler, Luke Appling, Tony Perez, Lou Gehrig, Billy Williams, Luis Aparicio, Ted Williams, Jimmie Foxx, Rggie Jackson, Ernie Banks, Joe Morgan, etc.

Harold is also 24th ALL-TIME (I removed the 5 juicers ahead of him) in RBI with 1,628. More RBI's than Hall of Famers Nap Lajoie, George Brett, Mike Schmidt, Rogers Hornsby, Harmon Killebrew, Al Kaline, Willie McCovey, Willie Stargell, Joe Dimaggio, Tris Speaker, Mickey Mantle, Billy Williams, Eddie Matthews, Yogi Berra, etc.

I'm not saying Harold is a certain Hall of Famer but there is a good chance he will be voted off the ballot this year and that would be a travesty. The man deserves far more respect for the great (yeah, GREAT) career he had.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:04 pm 

Hawk is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:19 pm 

Harold picked up a vote! He received 33 (6.1%) and will remain on the ballot for another year! 372 votes to go!

Blyleven picked up 61 votes but was 5 votes shy. He should finally go in next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:21 pm 

YES!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I think the wrong guy got the phone call to Cooperstown, NY, folks. The guy who should've gotten the call today for induction now analyzes the Minnesota Twins with Dick Bremer on both FOX Sports North & FOX's MY Network TV station up there. That's Bert Blyleven, who was the most deserving in this group.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:33 pm 

SHARK wrote:
I think the wrong guy got the phone call to Cooperstown, NY, folks. The guy who should've gotten the call today for induction now analyzes the Minnesota Twins with Dick Bremer on both FOX Sports North & FOX's MY Network TV station up there. That's Bert Blyleven, who was the most deserving in this group.

Dawson is more deserving SHARK

You just hate the Cubs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:40 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

You just hate the Cubs

Now that is bite.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Douchebag wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You just hate the Cubs

Now that is bite.

Dawson is an HOF'er, but he is not more deserving than Bert.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:02 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You just hate the Cubs

Now that is bite.

Dawson is an HOF'er, but he is not more deserving than Bert.

And you have absolutely no bias against the Cubs

Blyleven deserves to be in. Maybe as much as Dawson. I dont know why SHARK has to rain on Hawk's parade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

Because Bert Blyleven is one of the great pitchers this game has seen. He's been retired for years and should have been in the HOF long ago. Dawson is a HOF'er too, but Bert should already be in there and is more deserving.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Because Bert Blyleven is one of the great pitchers this game has seen. He's been retired for years and should have been in the HOF long ago. Dawson is a HOF'er too, but Bert should already be in there and is more deserving.

I don't often say this, but I agree with Cubbie Frank here.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:16 pm 

But its not Dawson vs. Blyleven

Dawson is not holding up Blyleven's induction

Not sure what is actually

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 pm 

Anyone think Andre Dawson will be sporting the cap of the defunct Montreal Expos, now known as the Washington Nationals, when he's officially inducted this July? :? After all, the Hall of Fame now determines what cap he'll be wearing...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:20 pm 

SHARK what is your beef with Hawk man? Back off.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

Its Dawson vs. Blyeleven. Based on thier stats, Blyleven was a better player and therefore is more deserving of the HOF.

I'm not saying that Dawson wasn't a great player. he was one of the best defensive RFs this game has ever seen, and he probably would have been better if he didnt play half of his career on the turf in Montreal. That carpet fucked up his knees. But Blyleven has 280some wins, a world series ring, 60 career shuouts, and an ERA just a bit over 3 for his career. Thats fucking impressive.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:23 pm 

RFDC wrote:
SHARK what is your beef with Hawk man? Back off.

I don't have a beef, RFDC, with Dawson getting inducted. I just think Bert Blyleven was more deserving. Even though he sported the silver & black with the White Sox on 2 occasions, that spitting incident in Toronto in which Robbie Alomar spat in the face of ump John Hirschbeck as a Baltimore Oriole will keep the second baseman out of Cooperstown for a longer time than he thinks...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
The basic fact is that the BBWAA is filled with a bunch of old codgers who send their ballots in from their retirement homes, and hold Blyeleven up because he pitched in the American League and didn't hit, so he wasn't a complete player. The whole HOF process is as fucked up as the football HOF. Basketball and Hockey get it right and get the deserving in when they're eligible. There is no reason that Dawson, Bleyleven, and Alomar didn't get the call, no Edgar Martinez for that matter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
the hall of fame needs a 10 year moratorium on Hall of Fame inductions, and a 10 year period of Hall of Fame REDUCTIONS to get rid of all the riff raff. slice the fucker in half and then you have a true Hall of Fame again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
The basic fact is that the BBWAA is filled with a bunch of old codgers who send their ballots in from their retirement homes, and hold Blyeleven up because he pitched in the American League and didn't hit, so he wasn't a complete player. The whole HOF process is as fucked up as the football HOF. Basketball and Hockey get it right and get the deserving in when they're eligible. There is no reason that Dawson, Bleyleven, and Alomar didn't get the call, no Edgar Martinez for that matter.

Edgar Martinez may have a lot of hits in his career, but guys like him & Jim Thome might not ever get into Cooperstown for this reason. Edgar & Jim got the majority of their hits as DESIGNATED HITTERS, and didn't play in the field as much as they should've in the eyes of these writers. Besides, these old farts now have to consider whether these ballplayers were also on steroids and/or performance enhancements, especially in this era where it's not hard to hit 50 homers in a single season and ballparks are geared towards the long ball.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
SHARK wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Edgar Martinez may have a lot of hits in his career, but guys like him & Jim Thome might not ever get into Cooperstown for this reason. Edgar & Jim got the majority of their hits as DESIGNATED HITTERS, and didn't play in the field as much as they should've in the eyes of these writers. Besides, these old farts now have to consider whether these ballplayers were also on steroids and/or performance enhancements, especially in this era where it's not hard to hit 50 homers in a single season and ballparks are geared towards the long ball.

And that is going to be one of the things that keep Frank Thomas out too-that, the last 3 to 4 years he played, and the fact that the media didn't like him (another problem with the BBWAA-filled with whiny bastards who hold grudges 20 years after the fact because they couldn't get an interview). If it wasn't for the steroid thing, you know damn well that there would be idiot writers who would do everything possible to keep Barry Bonds out too. I love baseball, but the HOF is bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:56 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Its Dawson vs. Blyeleven. Based on thier stats, Blyleven was a better player and therefore is more deserving of the HOF.

I'm not saying that Dawson wasn't a great player. he was one of the best defensive RFs this game has ever seen, and he probably would have been better if he didnt play half of his career on the turf in Montreal. That carpet fucked up his knees. But Blyleven has 280some wins, a world series ring, 60 career shuouts, and an ERA just a bit over 3 for his career. Thats fucking impressive.

One could make the case that as an everyday player Dawson had a greater impact. I wouldnt but one could. Im kind of a Dawson guy. Im planning to go to the induction. Oh and Alomar is more deserving than either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next