It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aroldis Chapman
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
Help me understand this one IB, Dr. Ken, et. al.

With the Yankee's, Red Sox, Orioles, etc. all bidding for the defector's services, why would his agent convince him this is a good deal? Perhaps, it was the best deal, but I doubt it . . . They are spreading $16M over 10 years!

–$16.25 million signing bonus ($1.5 million at signing; $1.5 million each Nov. 1, 2010-13 $1.25 million each Nov. 1, 2014-20)

–Yearly salaries: 2010: $1 million, ‘11: $1 million, ‘12: $2 million, 13: $2 million, ‘14: $3 million‘15: $5 million player option

–Chapman must decide whether to accept or decline 2015 player option within five days after end of 2014 World Series

–If Chapman qualifies for arbitration after 2012, $5 million is converted to a bonus and he becomes arbitration-eligible.

–If Chapman qualifies for arbitration after 2013, $3 million is converted to a bonus and he becomes arbitration-eligible. While the contract changes if Chapman becomes arbitration eligible, the Reds still control him for 6 years.

Post subject: Re: Aroldis Chapman
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 am 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct ... 132.column

In today's Trib, Phil Rogers wrote:
With apologies to Jon Landau and perhaps Stephen Strasburg, I have seen the future of pitching and his name is Aroldis Chapman.

He's lean and tall, as wide-eyed as a kid at his first carnival, and he throws a baseball with the speed and handling of a Porsche on the open road. The Reds somehow stole him away from the serial talent collectors with a guarantee of $30 million that they will one day consider the down payment on their re-emergence as one of the major leagues' relevant teams.

A lot of teams shied away from Chapman last winter because they didn't know if the 22-year-old Cuban could command his pitches and make the difficult cultural transition to the United States. Their scouts headed out of Goodyear Ballpark on Monday shaking their heads and hoping he won't turn out to be as dominating as he showed he could be in two innings of scoreless relief against the Royals.

In his first outing before a paid crowd, Chapman threw fastballs that were clocked as high as 102 mph, sliders in the high-80s and a changeup that registered 80 but looked like it was stopping time. The worst news of all for teams that allowed the Reds to outbid them: 15 of his 26 pitches were strikes, and few missed the strike zone badly.

"I'll take 100 with command,'' Reds manager Dusty Baker said, smiling.

You bet he will.

Strasburg, the Nationals' $15 million first-rounder, has been described by Baseball America as a "once-in-a-generation'' talent. He's a special prospect, no doubt, but better than Chapman?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Some will say Chapman can't throw a ball 102 mph. They'll say that for a few reasons — because few pitchers in history have been able to do that, because the majority of the readings peaked at 98-99, and because, well, the kid didn't even look like he was trying.

Chapman met with reporters within 15 minutes of his last pitch, a slider that blew right past the swinging Rick Ankiel, and it barely looked like he had broken a sweat. He made it look that easy on the mound too.

Baker said it's hard to tell how hard Chapman is throwing because "he throws so easy.'' He doesn't look like he's putting any effort into it.

Working the third and fourth innings, after Bronson Arroyo had gone the first two, Chapman allowed one single — to his friend, Brayan Pena, who had caught him in Cuba — and walked one. He retired the last four hitters he faced, striking out David DeJesus, Chris Getz and Ankiel.

Chapman said he was more comfortable than he had been during his first workouts in camp and in an intrasquad game last week. The difference, as relayed to a reporter by Fossas, was that he wasn't so worried about hitting Kansas City batters as he was his own teammates.

"He doesn't have to be so worried about throwing the ball inside,'' Fossas said.

That's a great mindset for a pitcher to have.

Adrenaline may have added some zip to his fastball but Chapman insisted he wasn't showing off.

"I wasn't trying to throw any harder,'' he said. "I was just working on throwing pitches. If I did (hit 102), it was just one of those things.''

Easy gas. Easy future.

As was true for Bruce Springsteen when Landau wrote his 1974 tribune in Rolling Stone, the hard work for Chapman was getting here. The next chapter, the one on the big stage, will be pure fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Dusty will have him throwing 250 innings and leave him in in the 8th with a 8 run lead.
That's what the dude does.
He's gonna be dogfood by 2012.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
He's a man....He's 40!

edit....wow I don't know of anyone who can get this murderer's row out......

striking out David DeJesus, Chris Getz and Ankiel.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:21 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
He's a man....He's 40!

He's obviously not pitched an inning in the majors, but you think the hype is b.s.?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:35 pm 

NSJ wrote:
....two innings of scoreless relief against the Royals....

do the Reds do statues too?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:03 pm 

NSJ wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
He's a man....He's 40!

He's obviously not pitched an inning in the majors, but you think the hype is b.s.?

Obviously he has a good arm otherwise people wouldn't be mentioning it but I have seen way too many can't miss prospects with great arms miss. Throwing 2 innings in spring training is pretty far removed from having a stellar MLB career. Plus Phil Rogers is definately one to hand out a nice stroke job every once and awhile I don't necisairly trust his objectivity or expertise. He may be great. He may suck. But I just think its way too early for this kind of hype. That being said Starlin Castro is a first ballot HOF.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:03 pm 

Don't know why that gave me a double post but here is a little bit of light reading

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=neyer_rob&id=4012104

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:21 pm 

Good stuff, Phil.