It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
Twins, Mauer Agree To Eight-Year Deal
By Luke Adams [March 21 at 4:47pm CST]
4:47pm: The Twins have reached agreement with Mauer on an eight-year, $184MM extension, tweets Joe Christensen of the Star Tribune. The pact also includes a full no-trade clause, according to Christensen (via Twitter). The contract will cover the soon-to-be 27-year-old from the 2011 through the 2018 campaign.

A team press release confirms the terms of the deal as well as the no-trade clause. The Twins and their star catcher will make it all official at a press conference tomorrow evening.

3:07pm: Ken Rosenthal tweets that Mauer's agent, Ron Shapiro, is back at the Twins' camp in Fort Myers. Rosenthal calls this a "strong indication that talks could be entering final stages."

12:53pm: Discussions between the Minnesota Twins and Joe Mauer regarding a long-term extension for the catcher are heating up, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. In a tweet, Olney says that it wouldn't surprise him to hear an announcement "any day now."

The exact figures being discussed by the two sides aren't known. However, Olney says speculation around the league is that an extension would fall between eight to ten years, for between $20MM and $25MM annually.

As Olney pointed out a couple days ago, if nothing is finalized for Mauer and the Twins by Opening Day, it may be later in the season before they re-enter negotiations.

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Pretty good deal for the Twins.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:34 pm 

HOVA wrote:

23 Million per year for 8 years with a No trade...I never thought I could look at a deal like that and think it was good for the team. Mauer is that good. I think at this price and length, theyre gonna have to move him to first a little sooner.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Poor Yankees.

You never know for a catcher though, even if they move him it's still probably taken a toll on him. They could be on the hook for a lot of overpaid years when he's in his 30's, but it isn't to say he doesn't deserve it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:48 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
HOVA wrote:

23 Million per year for 8 years with a No trade...I never thought I could look at a deal like that and think it was good for the team. Mauer is that good. I think at this price and length, theyre gonna have to move him to first a little sooner.

He is ONLY 26. I think it's safe to say he should still be able to swing a bat in his 30's. Without question he would have gotten over $200M and probably a couple more years on the open market. While he will still make a shit load of money he gave the Twins a pretty big discount.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:51 pm 

HOVA wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
HOVA wrote:

He is ONLY 26. I think it's safe to say he should still be able to swing a bat in his 30's. Without question he would have gotten over $200M and probably a couple more years on the open market. While he will still make a shit load of money he gave the Twins a pretty big discount.

What do you think the most he possibly could have gotten?

I cant imagine, even the Yankees, would go much higher than 23 Million. I guess they would go as high as 25 for ten years. So I guess he did give the Twins the bargain basement price of 23 million a year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
any deal of that length is a crazy risk for the franchise, but i like it better for a position player than a long deal for a pitcher. he is totally worth it right now, but that long of a commitment for that kind of dough is the kind of deal that can really hurt a franchise down the road.

he is a hell of a player, i give him credit for being able to secure this kind of deal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
It would have been tough from a PR standpoint to let a guy like Mauer go, especially when you are beginning to contend again on a regular basis for the Central. I think both sides win here. I agree with the above poster that they need to transition him out of C into a 1B/DH type of role. With that many years on the deal, I want to save his knees if I can.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:32 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I cant imagine, even the Yankees, would go much higher than 23 Million. I guess they would go as high as 25 for ten years. So I guess he did give the Twins the bargain basement price of 23 million a year.

The Yankees were going to give A-Rod $30M a year for 10 years because they would have still gotten about $60M more from the Rangers. A-Rod didn't play his hand right and lost about $50M. A-Rod is 35 too. I would have started with $30M a year. In 8 years my guess is $23M will be chump change for a super star player.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
I hate to be a curmudgeon, but the money these guys make for playing a game is nauseating.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Looks like the Yankees will have to settle for A.J. Pierzynski in the free agent market next Winter unless the dopes running the Sox take the advice of ONEY!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
A7X wrote:
I hate to be a curmudgeon, but the money these guys make for playing a game is nauseating.

They are making this for playing a game people pay billions of dollars over time to watch and follow. I like you A7X, but don't hate the player.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:09 am 

HOVA wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The Yankees were going to give A-Rod $30M a year for 10 years because they would have still gotten about $60M more from the Rangers. A-Rod didn't play his hand right and lost about $50M. A-Rod is 35 too. I would have started with $30M a year. In 8 years my guess is $23M will be chump change for a super star player.

It seems like the rocketing salaries kinda stagnated in the last few years. This isnt 2000. The spending is slightly more prudent. I dont see a lot of 30 Million per year contracts in the next few years. Thats why I think 23 is pretty solid.

He'll at least never have to worry about sideburn maintenance accessories ever again

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

He'll at least never have to worry about sideburn maintenance accessories ever again

Unless he becomes friends with Reign Man.

Awesome.