It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Indians @ Tigers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:20 pm 

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.js ... b_detmlb_1

MLB network will likely be showing it as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
call your sons, call your daughters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:46 pm 

Shades of DeWayne Wise from Ajax right there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Awesome catch by Jackson.....not Dewayne Wise great, but still awesome...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
spmack wrote:
Awesome catch by Jackson.....not Dewayne Wise great, but still awesome...

you're cheating on hockey spmack, unacceptable :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 pm 

wow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I don't believe it....on my way to the DB of the week thread....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 pm 

He got fucked hard there. When in doubt on that play call him out.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:00 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Cue angry Milt Pappas interview tomorrow.

Worst call ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:32 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Cue angry Milt Pappas interview tomorrow.

Is there another kind?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Second Worst call ever.

Fixed...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:20 pm 

Brutal call. I give the kid props for not going crazy, I would have been tossed easily. This is crazy, could have been 3 perfect games already.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Ban me
NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball was still deciding Thursday morning whether to review the umpire's blown call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Commissioner Bud Selig has the power to reverse umpire Jim Joyce's missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong.

Historic Bad Calls

Selig would likely consult with his top advisers before making such a ruling. St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa says the call should be overturned.

Joyce was scheduled to be back at work Thursday afternoon, umpiring at home plate in the game between the Detorit Tigers and Cleveland Indians.

In 1991, a panel headed by then-commissioner Fay Vincent took a look at the record book and decided to throw out 50 no-hitters for various reasons.

The instantly infamous play, which had social networking sites all abuzz, will add to the argument that baseball needs to expand its use of replays. As of now, they can only be used for questionable home runs.

Galarraga bitterly sipped a beer minutes after the blown call negated his place in baseball history. An apology and hug changed his attitude.

Joyce, in tears, asked for a chance to apologize after the Tigers beat the Indians 3-0.

"You don't see an umpire after the game come out and say, `Hey, let me tell you I'm sorry," Galarraga said "He felt really bad. He didn't even shower."

Galarraga, who was barely known outside of Detroit a day ago, and Joyce, whose career had flourished in relative anonymity, quickly became trending topics on Twitter. At least one anti-Joyce Facebook page was created shortly after the game ended and firejimjoyce.com was launched.

"I worked with Don Denkinger, and I know what he went through, but I've never had a moment like this," Joyce said.

Denkinger didn't have to deal with the wrath of fans on Twitter or Facebook. Denkinger helped tilt the 1985 World Series by blowing a call as a first base umpire, and that followed him throughout his career.

Joyce has been calling balls and strikes and deciding if runners are out or safe as a full-time major league umpire since 1989. He has been respected enough to be on the field for two World Series, 11 other playoff series and a pair of All-Star games.

A split-second decision he made will probably haunt him for the rest of his career.

Joyce emphatically signaled safe when Cleveland's Jason Donald clearly didn't beat a throw to first base for what would've been the last out in Armando Galarraga's perfect game for the Detroit Tigers, setting off a chorus of groans and boos that echoed in Comerica Park.

Chuck Klonke, the official scorer Wednesday night with nearly three decades of experience, said he would not change the disputed play to an error from a hit to give Galarraga a no-hitter.

"I looked at the replay right after it happened, and Miguel Cabrera made a good throw and Galarraga didn't miss the bag so you couldn't do anything but call it a hit," Klonke said Thursday morning. "I watched the replay from the center-field camera, which some people thought showed Galarraga might've bobbled the ball, and I didn't see it that way at all. I have 24 hours to change a call, but I wouldn't consider it.

"End of story."

Not quite.

The story has transcended sports, becoming a topic on NBC's "Today" show Thursday morning and among parents dropping off their kids at the bus stop.

It's rare for an umpire to acknowledge a mistake in one of the few sports that relies heavily on the human eye, but Joyce did to reporters and later to Galarraga.

"It was the biggest call of my career, and I kicked the (stuff) out of it," Joyce said, looking and sounding distraught as he paced in the umpires' locker room. "I just cost that kid a perfect game."

Leyland was livid during the game when he charged out of the dugout to argue the call and got in another heated discussion with Joyce after the final out.

Later, though, Leyland tried to give Joyce a break.

"The players are human, the umpires are human, the managers are human," Leyland said.

Galarraga tried to calm his nerves with a beer after the game after almost getting to celebrate the first perfect game in franchise history.

He was vying for the third perfect game in the majors this year, including Roy Halladay's gem last Saturday night. He seemed to do his job for the 27th out along with first baseman Cabrera on a play teams work on often in spring training.

Donald hit a grounder in the hole between first and second, Cabrera fielded it and threw to first, where Galarraga caught the ball at least a step ahead of Donald, replays showed.

"I feel sad," Galarraga said.

Cabrera said he didn't want to talk about it and Donald answered questions from reporters after a long soak in the tub.

"I didn't know if I beat the throw or not," Donald said. "But given the circumstances, I thought for sure I'd be called out."

The Tigers huddled around one of the two big-screen televisions in their clubhouse, standing stoically and silently as the play was shown over and over.

"I know I played in a perfect game," Detroit shortstop Ramon Santiago said. "In my mind, on June 2, Armando Galarraga threw a no-hitter. I'm going to get a ball signed by him."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 pm 

And in typical Selig fashion, he screws up:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-will-not-overturn-call-that-cost-tigers-pitcher-armando-galarraga-perfect-game-060310

Quote:
Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig didn’t change the incorrect call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game, but he did vow to consider the expanded use of instant replay after a series of umpiring controversies in recent weeks.

Galarraga lost his bid with two out in the ninth inning of Wednesday night's game against the Cleveland Indians, when umpire Jim Joyce ruled that Jason Donald had reached base safely on a ground ball to the right side. Joyce subsequently admitted that he was wrong.

Selig didn’t explicitly rule out the possibility that he would reverse the call. But it seemed that Thursday would have been the time to make such a decision. A future change seems unlikely. One MLB source said there is "no chance" that Selig will change his mind in the future.

So, to fans in Detroit, it was a 28-out perfect game.

In the record books, for now, it is a one-hit shutout.

“As Jim Joyce said in his postgame comments, there is no dispute that last night’s game should have ended differently,” Selig said in a statement. “While the human element has always been an integral part of baseball, it is vital that mistakes on the field be addressed.

“Given last night’s call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features.”

Selig added that he will consult with the players’ and umpires’ unions before announcing “any decisions.” He will also meet with baseball’s Special Committee for On-Field Matters — of which Tigers manager Jim Leyland is a member.

When asked earlier Thursday if he would like for Selig to award him with a perfect game after the fact, Galarraga replied, “I’d love it.”

“The more important thing is, for my heart, I knew I threw a perfect game,” the right-hander said.

Joyce didn’t offer an opinion earlier Thursday when asked about the possibility of Selig reversing his call. But such a decision might have eased the umpire’s conscience. Joyce was inconsolable on Wednesday night in the aftermath of his mistake, and he became emotional on several occasions Thursday.

“I took a perfect game away from that kid over there,” he said Wednesday.

By the time Joyce arrived at Comerica Park on Thursday morning, some fan reaction had turned hostile. Joyce indicated in a brief interview with reporters that his family had been targeted.

MLB officials wouldn’t confirm whether any specific threats of harm had been made.

“I wish my family was out of this,” Joyce said, still teary-eyed some 12 hours later. “I wish they would just direct it all to me.

“My wife is a rock. My kids are very strong. But they don’t deserve this. I’ll take it. I’ll take it. I’ll take whatever you can give me. I’ll handle it like a man. And I’ll do the best I can.”

Joyce didn’t specify what “it” was, but he said, “It’s a big problem.”

But Galarraga and the Tigers bear no grudge. Galarraga forgave Joyce immediately, and Leyland expressed hope that Detroit fans would applaud the umpiring crew on Thursday.

The umpires didn’t get an ovation, but the afternoon crowd was civil.

Selig’s statement praised the Tigers for their “dignity and class,” saying the organization’s conduct was “admirable and embodied good sportsmanship of the highest order.” Galarraga was honored Thursday in a pregame ceremony in which Chevrolet presented him with a cherry red Corvette convertible.

Galarraga, who began the season in the minor leagues, has handled his newfound notoriety as gracefully as he did Wednesday’s disappointment. He didn’t call for the expansion of instant replay when he met with a large group of reporters on Thursday.

The Late Show with David Letterman has already requested an interview, one source said, but it’s unclear if the team’s schedule will permit Galarraga to accept the offer. He slept only two hours on Wednesday night.

“My dad said something that really (calmed me) down,” the 28-year-old said. “He said, ‘Son, I’m proud of you. I know you threw a perfect game. Keep the ball. Make sure to keep the CD.’”

Joyce is behind the plate for Thursday afternoon’s game between the Tigers and Indians. He needed an extra moment or two to compose himself before entering the field via the tunnel behind home plate at 1 p.m. ET.

Fans close to the tunnel applauded as the crew took the field. The cheers continued as Galarraga, bearing the lineup card, shook hands with Joyce.

But when Joyce’s name was announced over the public address system, some boos were heard.

Earlier, Galarraga said he hoped Detroit fans will forgive Joyce.

“I say many times: Nobody’s perfect,” Galarraga said. “Everybody makes a mistake. I’m sure he don’t want to make that call. You see that guy last night, he feels really bad. He don’t even change. The other umpires shower, eat. He was sitting in the seat (and saying), ‘I’m so sorry.'"

"Why do so many people need help? Life's not that complicated. You get up, go to work, eat three meals, take one good s***, and go back to bed. What's the f***ing mystery?" - George Carlin - Complaints & Grievances

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Unfortunately, MLB's poor excuse for a "Commissioner" can't overturn the bogus Jim Joyce call last night. What's done is done. The Tigers & Armando Galarraga took the high road, and Joyce admitted his mistake afterwards. Bud Selig should be looking into other umps who have been acting like assholes lately such as Joe West twice in 2 weeks, Bill Hohn for squeezing the Astros' Roy Oswalt vs. the Nationals & Bob Davidson for what he did to the Rays' Carl Crawford & manager Joe Maddon vs. the Red Sox' Jon Lester...