It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

do you think replay (if it can be done quickly) should be used for safe or out calls on the bases?
Poll ended at Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:13 pm
Yes 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
No 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:12 pm 

In regards to the Joyce blown call.

After their lackluster performance in last year's playoffs (paging McClelland). It seems that the World Umpires Association or whatever the umpires' union calls itself these days have become their own worst enemy in terms of their inability to make the right call in high profile situations [a maximum exposure perfect game and the playoffs].

I think that the Questec system and replay for fair/foul calls represents the commencement of the first dropping pebbles that could lead to the avalanche of technology acting as a check on the umps ability to be the final arbiters of calls in the game of baseball.

As the technology of digital video on computers (which allows for very rapid replay of calls from a variety of angles) improves, it seems to me that the umps are soon to lose out on the traditional "well that's baseball" argument of the people who want the fallibility of the human element to remain in the game.

I'm not saying that strikes and balls will go out the window, but safe and outs are most likely coming as the umps continue to make high profile mistakes. The brash nature of Richie Phillips (" hey lets all resign" MLB owners, 'ok you guys are out') and bull headed people like Joe West are bringing this on themselves. I personally can not believe the audacity of the umpires today. Why doesn't the rank and file check people like West?

The umpires union needs to get themselves some quality PR people as soon as possible.

Id like the umps to remain as the final arbiters, but I think the goal is to get the call correct; too much money is on the line for the current crop of umps to continue in this lackluster manner, the NFL made replay work (after some rough years in getting replay woven into the fabric of football); baseball should be able to make a more expanded replay system work. This is kind of a poor analogy, but if Joyce was a ref in the SEC, he would be out on the street today.

later
sabu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: *
no

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
No, with a maybe if done correctly. You can not have every single close call evaluated or the game would take 5 hrs. What I would like to see is a 5th umpire. This 5th ump would be an older ump with say 15 or so years of experience. He gets to watch from his own booth or area with full access to all the tv angles. Each team is given 10 allowances per season to refer to him and he can only do the HR replays they do now for the first 7 innings. The manager first has to approach the crew chief and petition for the referral. He meets quickly with the crew and they get to decide whether the referral is legit and can proceed. So basically you can not review everything, but there needs to be some type of loophole to fix shit like last night.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Roadhouse in Sublette
This is so fucking typical of Media brainwashing.
Look at the fucking replay. The pitcher has the snowcone going when he hits the base and the snowcone then moves down into the glove. You have to see it at normal speed to get what I mean. A safe call was not outrageous.
Every DB at ESPN has seen the same video I saw but they ignore it as it would detract from their meme. Standard Bullshit from esspen and all other Media.

http://thepeoplescube.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Yes. How long did it take to see the play was called wrong last night? A minute? Two?

How many bang-bang plays are there in a game? Maybe 4, and that might be stretching it.

Get the call right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
No, with a maybe if done correctly. You can not have every single close call evaluated or the game would take 5 hrs. What I would like to see is a 5th umpire. This 5th ump would be an older ump with say 15 or so years of experience. He gets to watch from his own booth or area with full access to all the tv angles. Each team is given 10 allowances per season to refer to him and he can only do the HR replays they do now for the first 7 innings. The manager first has to approach the crew chief and petition for the referral. He meets quickly with the crew and they get to decide whether the referral is legit and can proceed. So basically you can not review everything, but there needs to be some type of loophole to fix shit like last night.

nah, if you are going to do it to get calls right, why limit it to 10 times a season? so the 11th time, even if it is obviously a blown call and could easily be reversed, you say tough shit? a top of the 8th call that is totally fucked cant be reviewed because it is past the 7th? all of the petitioning and communication with the booth is what would slow everything the fuck down.

i agree with the booth umpire all the way. there is plenty of time to review any play on replay due to the slow nature of the game. if you are going to have certain things available for review, such as fair/foul, safe/out, home run/no home run plays, then that booth ump should be able to reverse any call that he sees that is clearly wrong, no matter if anyone petitions for it or not. just get it right. nobody should have to ASK for a right call, it should the the umps duty to fix a fucked up call. the booth ump sees something wrong and simply alerts the crew chief of it through a radio or foolproof signal of some sort that a call needs to be reversed.

this goes for the NFL too. why a team should have to ASK for a correct call is beyond me. if it is wrong, just fix it when possible. if play is moving too fast, and the booth official thinks there is a genuine reason to review, get on the horn and stop the clock and check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
JimmyReardon wrote:
This is so fucking typical of Media brainwashing.
Look at the fucking replay. The pitcher has the snowcone going when he hits the base and the snowcone then moves down into the glove. You have to see it at normal speed to get what I mean. A safe call was not outrageous.
Every DB at ESPN has seen the same video I saw but they ignore it as it would detract from their meme. Standard Bullshit from esspen and all other Media.

Reagan and both of the Bush boys thought he was out.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:05 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

nah, if you are going to do it to get calls right, why limit it to 10 times a season? so the 11th time, even if it is obviously a blown call and could easily be reversed, you say tough shit? a top of the 8th call that is totally fucked cant be reviewed because it is past the 7th? all of the petitioning and communication with the booth is what would slow everything the fuck down.

i agree with the booth umpire all the way. there is plenty of time to review any play on replay due to the slow nature of the game. if you are going to have certain things available for review, such as fair/foul, safe/out, home run/no home run plays, then that booth ump should be able to reverse any call that he sees that is clearly wrong, no matter if anyone petitions for it or not. just get it right. nobody should have to ASK for a right call, it should the the umps duty to fix a fucked up call. the booth ump sees something wrong and simply alerts the crew chief of it through a radio or foolproof signal of some sort that a call needs to be reversed.

this goes for the NFL too. why a team should have to ASK for a correct call is beyond me. if it is wrong, just fix it when possible. if play is moving too fast, and the booth official thinks there is a genuine reason to review, get on the horn and stop the clock and check it out.

I meant that you can only do the hr reviews for the 1st 7 innings, then you can challenge later in the game. If it happens early you can overcome a mistake. I only want to limit it so that the managers are smart with using them and don't challenge a few times every game and so they don't challenge just to fuck with the umpire or to give a pitcher in the pen time to warm up.

Last edited by Urlacher's missing neck on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I think I would be for an NFL style challenge system put into place. 1 challenge per 9 innings unless you are correct then you get a 2nd one. Can only challenge plays at bases, home runs and foul line calls. Balls/Strikes/Balks etc would still be off limits

I think replay is inevitable, I just hope it's implemented in the least obtrusive way possible

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:10 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
I think I would be for an NFL style challenge system put into place. 1 challenge per 9 innings unless you are correct then you get a 2nd one. Can only challenge plays at bases, home runs and foul line calls. Balls/Strikes/Balks etc would still be off limits

I think replay is inevitable, I just hope it's implemented in the least obtrusive way possible

and outfield diving catches/traps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:13 am 

Im against the challenge thing for the reason MOFO stated.

Why involve strategy? Youre trying to get the call right. So if a Dusty Baker type forgets how many challenges he has or uses too many then blown calls remain?

Thats not productive.

DB's idea is good though. Replay umpire, who can pipe in whenever and say "Review that"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It should take 30 seconds to review these calls, less time than it would take for Lou to get his fat ass on the field and complain and then walk back. If it takes more than that, play stands. If for some reason you want to go longer, go to a full commercial break and then skip the break between innings and baseball games can continue to speed along at 3 needlessly long hours.