It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am 

I probably should have started this thread for the Branyan trade. 'Baseball experts' are predicting a slow trade season but this is already the 2nd trade before July 1:

The Giants traded catcher Bengie Molina to the Rangers for reliever Chris Ray and a player to be named later.

Molina was blocking Buster Posey so you can see why he was dealt but I like to see San Fran willing to trade away players. With all the catchers the Rangers had in their system just last year it's hard to believe they had to trade FOR a catcher.

Last edited by Keyser Soze on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Trade season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
That is a little puzzling. Aren't the Rangers sending a message to the league that Ramirez, Teagarden, and Saltalamacchia are no damn good?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:29 am 

johnnyfontane wrote:
Aren't the Rangers sending a message to the league that Ramirez, Teagarden, and Saltalamacchia are no damn good?

I think the players have been doing a good job at sending that message themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
johnnyfontane wrote:
That is a little puzzling. Aren't the Rangers sending a message to the league that Ramirez, Teagarden, and Saltalamacchia are no damn good?

Weren't 2 of those guys mentioned in rumored trade talks for A.J. Pierzynski? I thought I also heard one of those guys couldn't throw the baseball back to the pitcher...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
SHARK wrote:
johnnyfontane wrote:

Weren't 2 of those guys mentioned in rumored trade talks for A.J. Pierzynski? I thought I also heard one of those guys couldn't throw the baseball back to the pitcher...

If I remember correctly Taylor Teagarden was the one that couldn't throw back to the pitcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm 

Taylor Seagarden...I thought so!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:16 pm 

No, it was Salty.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Salty Teabagger?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
lipidquadcab wrote:
Salty Teabagger?

Terry Boers?

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:08 am 

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Yankees are deep in talks to acquire Cliff Lee from the Mariners.

Can't say I'm surprised. It will be interesting to see who the Yankees gave up. C Jesus Montero has to be in the deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:54 pm 

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the "Mariners are backing off" the Yankees' offer for Cliff Lee and that it doesn't look like the "Yankees are in it."

The plot thickens as 'another team has aggressively entered the picture'. Maybe the Evil Empire is not going to get their man??

My guess of the mystery team: Tampa Bay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:08 pm 

The Rangers will acquire Lee and Mark Lowe for Justin Smoak and three others, according to Joel Sherman.

Wow. The Rangers?? I'd take Smoak over Montero too. Can't wait to hear the 3 others.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:34 pm 

Rangers acquired LHP Cliff Lee, RHP Mark Lowe and cash from the Mariners for 1B Justin Smoak, RHP Blake Beavan, LHP Josh Lueke and 2B Matt Lawson.

Nice deal by the Rangers. Smoak will hurt but you have to give up someting to get the best left handed starter in baseball but after that there's not much here. The Rangers didn't have to surrender any of other top prospects like Martin Perez, Tanner Sheppers or Kasey Kiker.

Beaven is a back of the rotation starter, Lueke is a middle reliever and Lawson is a utility infielder (at best). This is a curious deal by the Mariners considering some of the other rumored deals on the table and the fact the the Rangers are in their division.

Lowe is on the disabled list and could miss the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Keyser Soze wrote:
Rangers acquired LHP Cliff Lee, RHP Mark Lowe and cash from the Mariners for 1B Justin Smoak, RHP Blake Beavan, LHP Josh Lueke and 2B Matt Lawson.

Nice deal by the Rangers. Smoak will hurt but you have to give up someting to get the best left handed starter in baseball but after that there's not much here. The Rangers didn't have to surrender any of other top prospects like Martin Perez, Tanner Sheppers or Kasey Kiker.

Beaven is a back of the rotation starter, Lueke is a middle reliever and Lawson is a utility infielder (at best). This is a curious deal by the Mariners considering some of the other rumored deals on the table and the fact the the Rangers are in their division.

Lowe is on the disabled list and could miss the rest of the season.

This is a great trade for both teams. Smoak is a future all-star.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:25 pm 

Agreed. Smoak is a future Texeira. Switch hitting power 1B.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:31 pm 

Cliff Lee hopes to arrive in the Dallas MetroPlex in time to start his first game for the Rangers tomorrow night vs. the Orioles, weather permitting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:55 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Not as into trade time / trade talk this year because I've been digging into CC Sabathia's stint with the Brewers. Probably one of the craziest July deals ever made, and also one of the greatest post-allstar streaks of any pitcher.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:38 am 

Sabathia had an unbelievable with the Brewers. Doyle Alexander (traded for John Smoltz) and Rick Sutcliff (traded for Joe Carter) also had a great 2nd half runs.

Alexander:

11 starts 9-0 1.53 ERA 3 CG 3 SO

Sabathia:

17 starts 11-2 1.65 ERA 7 CG 3 SO

Sutcliff:

20 starts 16-1 2.69 ERA 7 CG 3 SO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Hopefully this gets some lilly to the twins talks going. The have a quality wealth of minor league players.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:53 am 

Blue Jays acquired SS Yunel Escobar and LHP Jo-Jo Reyes from the Braves for SS Alex Gonzalez, LHP Tim Collins and INF Tyler Pastronicky.

Risky move for the Braves. Escobar's effort is hot and cold but his talent is unquestionable. Gonzalez has had a rebirth in a home run hitters paradise. Good move by Toronto to sell high on him and acquire an enormous talent who is controllable for 3 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:30 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Blue Jays acquired SS Yunel Escobar and LHP Jo-Jo Reyes from the Braves for SS Alex Gonzalez, LHP Tim Collins and INF Tyler Pastronicky.

Risky move for the Braves. Escobar's effort is hot and cold but his talent is unquestionable. Gonzalez has had a rebirth in a home run hitters paradise. Good move by Toronto to sell high on him and acquire an enormous talent who is controllable for 3 years.

I can't believe they gave up on escobar for A gonz. His power stats are extremely inflated this year and he isn't that young.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:48 pm 

Royals trade 3B Alberto Callaspo to Angels for RHP Sean O'Sullivan and minor-league LHP Will Smith.

This falls into the too little too late category. Callaspo is a nice player but he won't make the impact the Angels need to catch the Rangers. O'Sullivan has a nice arm and could be a decent starter. Does this signal the Royals are ready to call up top prospect Mike Moustakas or are they going to give Alex Gordon another shot?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:37 pm 

Now that ordonez is down for 6 or more weeks, could the tigers actually consider trading for aram to bolster their offense?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Now that ordonez is down for 6 or more weeks, could the tigers actually consider trading for aram to bolster their offense?

Not with that contract.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:34 pm 

Detroit suddenly has a lot of money off the books for next season because this injury to Ordonez will prevent him from reaching the incentives that would guarantee his $15M salary next season. Detroit has a lot of holes so I'm not sure if they want to spend it all on Ramirez but it is definitely an option.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:14 pm 

The Angels have acquired Dan Haren from Arizona in exchange for Joe Saunders, Patrick Corbin, Rafael Rodriguez, and a player to be named later.

BIG move by the Angels as they're sitting 6 games behind the Rangers. It doesn't sound like the player to be named is Mike Trout so this looks to be a steal for the Angels. Corbin and Rodriguez are marginal prospects at best. Not sure how Joe Millionaire fits into the D'Dags rebuilding plan so he may be flipped as well. For what the D'Bags gave up to acquire Haren it's hard to believe they couldn't find a package better than this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:55 pm 

Tigers acquired 3B Jhonny Peralta from the Indians for LHP Giovanni Soto.

The Tigers fill one of their many holes but Peralta is an unspectacular addition. He has plenty of talent but the results just aren't there. Maybe a change of scenery will help or maybe he is what he is. Soto is a 19 yr old left hander with TONS of talent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:20 pm 

The Dodgers have acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik from the Royals for minor leaguer catcher Lucas May and righty Elisaul Pimentel.

The Dodgers traded Pierre to the Sox after they didn't want to resign the Panzy. Now the Dodgers trade for the Panzy to replace what they lost with Pierre. Irony.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Keyser Soze wrote:
The Dodgers have acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik from the Royals for minor leaguer catcher Lucas May and righty Elisaul Pimentel.

The Dodgers traded Pierre to the Sox after they didn't want to resign the Panzy. Now the Dodgers trade for the Panzy to replace what they lost with Pierre. Irony.

Dodgers got good speed off the bench now, as long as the dumbass doesn't get himself picked off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:18 am 

Reports say Phillies and Astros have agreed to a deal for Oswalt. Phillies might have to part with Happ if Oswalt waives his no trade.