It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trade season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:53 pm 

Phillies acquired RHP Roy Oswalt and cash considerations from the Astros for LHP J.A. Happ, INF Jonathan Villar and OF Anthony Gose. The Astros will pay $11 million of the approximately $23 million left on Oswalt's contract through 2011.

Risky move for the Phillies considering Oswalt's injury history but if he stays healthy they will be downright nasty with Doc, Ozzy and Hamels at the top of their rotation. Happ is a decent middle of the rotation starter but also has a history of injury. Villar is a 19 yr old infielder with a tremendous upside and speed to burn. Gose has been traded to the Blue Jays for infielder Brett Wallace. This is Wallace's 3rd trade in less than a year but there is no denying his hitting ability. Wallace will take over 1B once Lance Berkman is moved (hopefully to the White Sox). This looks to be a very good deal for the Astros.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:31 pm 

Miguel Tejada has been traded to the San Diego Padres in exchange for right-hander Wynn Pelzer.

It's still hard to beleive the Padres are the buyers in a salary dump. Tejada will certainly help their offense. Pelzer isn't much of a prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:01 pm 

Rangers acquired infielder Jorge Cantu from the Marlins for RHP Omar Poveda and RHP Evan Reed.

The Rangers get the right handed bat and first baseman they've needed since trading Justin Smoak. Cantu has cooled off after a hot start but he should put up big numbers in a hitters park and a stacked lieup. Reed is a mid range prospect who will probably end up as a reliever and Poveda is recovering from Tommy John surgery. This is a very questionable return for the Marlins.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:25 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Phillies acquired RHP Roy Oswalt and cash considerations from the Astros for LHP J.A. Happ, INF Jonathan Villar and OF Anthony Gose. The Astros will pay $11 million of the approximately $23 million left on Oswalt's contract through 2011.

Risky move for the Phillies considering Oswalt's injury history but if he stays healthy they will be downright nasty with Doc, Ozzy and Hamels at the top of their rotation. Happ is a decent middle of the rotation starter but also has a history of injury. Villar is a 19 yr old infielder with a tremendous upside and speed to burn. Gose has been traded to the Blue Jays for infielder Brett Wallace. This is Wallace's 3rd trade in less than a year but there is no denying his hitting ability. Wallace will take over 1B once Lance Berkman is moved (hopefully to the White Sox). This looks to be a very good deal for the Astros.

the phillies have been aggressive lately...but it makes me wonder if they just could've held onto lee...?

i like the move.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:56 pm 

Watching Sox game and hear the Twins got Matt Capps, closer from the Nationals

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:05 pm 

If they traded C Wilson Ramos that is a hell of a lot to give up for a closer though he is arbitration eligible next season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Keyser Soze wrote:
If they traded C Wilson Ramos that is a hell of a lot to give up for a closer though he is arbitration eligible next season.

Per Jon Heyman (SI): Twins agree to acquire closer Matt Capps from #Nats for catcher Wilson Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:50 pm 

The Nats also received LHP Joe Testa.

They got the Twins top prospect PLUS for Matt freakin Capps. Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Nats got a lot in return. Are they going to turn the closing role over to Storen now? He has been pretty good since they called him up.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:22 am 
1000 CLUB

HOVA wrote:
Nats got a lot in return. Are they going to turn the closing role over to Storen now? He has been pretty good since they called him up.

That would make sense to me. He's good a very nice future - only question I would ask, not knowing what Washington is thinking, is if they view him as a stater one day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:06 am 

W_Z wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

the phillies have been aggressive lately...but it makes me wonder if they just could've held onto lee...?

i like the move.

In hindsight I'm sure they wish they did but Lee scared them off by being unwilling to sign long term. Now they have Doc locked in long term and have Ozzy for next season. This should work out just fine for the Phils.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:10 pm 

Berkman to the Yankees? I fuckin hate the Yankees

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:24 pm 

He's done

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:32 pm 

I wanted Berkman too. I'm waiting to see who the Yankees gave up. I'm thinking it won't be much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:41 pm 

The Nationals traded Cristian Guzman to the Rangers for right-handers Tanner Roark and Ryan Tatusko.

The Rangers just keep on dealing. Guzman will play 2B while Kinsler is on the DL then he will be a utility player. Not a great return for the Nats but what could they expect for Guzman? Roark is a potential middle reliever and Tatuska is a long shot to make it to the bigs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:25 pm 

Kerry Wood to the Yankees.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:31 pm 

I don't understand the Cardinals trading Ludwick and getting Westbrook. Ludwick has been a real solid player for them.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
RFDC wrote:
I don't understand the Cardinals trading Ludwick and getting Westbrook. Ludwick has been a real solid player for them.

Yeah, that's a real puzzler to me too. I guess they thought the need for an arm outweighed the loss of Ludwick's bat.

That or they think they can't keep pace with he Reds. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
RFDC wrote:

It's not the greatest move. There are a lot of concerns over the rotation, and a bit of a surplus in the OF. Westbrook is a sinkerballer that Duncan can probably fix. They probably view Westbrook as a larger upgrade over Hawkesworth/Suppan than what they lose by replacing Ludwick with John Jay and Allen Craig. Card also receive a lefty prospect who could be a #3 starter type down the road.

San Diego got a good RF, although he should get a 8m or so salary in arbitration over the winter. I wouldn't be shocked if StL tries to reacquire him in the offseason.

Cleveland is basically dumping salaries for prospects at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 pm 

RFDC wrote:

+1

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
tmurf423 wrote:
Berkman to the Yankees? I fuckin hate the Yankees

I'm not handling this well... :pukel: :puker:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:55 am 

Randy Winn/John Jay will be a good platoon in RF to replace Ludwick and Westbrook is an upgrade over Lohse/Suppan (who have been horrible). It's a good trade for the Cards.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:49 am 

According to a team press release, the Diamondbacks have acquired LHP Tyler Skaggs from the Angels to complete the Dan Haren trade.

Skaggs is by far the best prospect the D'Bags recieved and makes the deal much better for them. I still think they sold low on Haren but given the salary relief and 4 left handed pitchers it wasn't an awful deal.