It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KC Royals
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:25 pm 

Been watching a lot of the Royals lately. I think this is the year they turn the corner. They have some young players in their lineup that are coming into their own meshed together with some nice vets. Their young catcher Perez is one to keep an eye on, I think he is going to be a good one. And their pitching has been solid. I am not sure they have enough to win the division this year, but I think they will be in the race all year.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject: Re: KC Royals
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:27 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Been watching a lot of the Royals lately. I think this is the year they turn the corner. They have some young players in their lineup that are coming into their own meshed together with some nice vets. Their young catcher Perez is one to keep an eye on, I think he is going to be a good one. And their pitching has been solid. I am not sure they have enough to win the division this year, but I think they will be in the race all year.

Don't know what he did today, but Lorenzo Cain was fucking awesome yesterday. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
The Royals are right on schedule.

It's been 10 years since their last winning season, which was 10 years after it's last winning season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I remember that one time that the Royals had that fat mid 30's rookie DH with the glasses that came out of no where for 1 season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 am 

They've had a pasable/good offense for a few years now. If they get pitching, they can be good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I remember that one time that the Royals had that fat mid 30's rookie DH with the glasses that came out of no where for 1 season.

Bob "Hamhock" Hamelin. I don't think he was that old though. Anyone remember Richie Scheinblum?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:07 am 

I believe Steve Balboni holds the KC HR record for a year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
The late 80's Saberhagen was a beast. He had a strange even/odd year success record... probably the first time a young Apologist had heard of such a concept. I don't know about anyone else, but it's these sort of statistical oddities that really got me into other teams than my hometown one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Watch this be the season where the Royals are good, the Sox are bad but end up winning 13 games against KC this year :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:56 pm 

21-24

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:14 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i think this is the year to get on the pirates.... while the last two years have had above-.500 starts followed by 2nd half collapses to keep that impressive ~20 year sub -.500 streak alive, nowadays they've quietly been pimpslapping teams around as their decent lil lineup has meshed with league average pitching and they're nice and solid.

they invested some money in mccutchen, pedro alvarez needs to eventually put it all together (hitting ~.275, 30HR, etc) cuz he's had streaks where he's as hot as you can be for a few weeks here or there... i mean he got his 30+ HR last year, but this year his pressure to repeat the success resulted in him battling mendoza, which i think he's finally conquered even tho he'd only be in the ~.210-.220range.

they've got a legit ballplayer in starling marte to bat in front of mccutchen and get on base, and theoretically they've got something in alvarez to bat behind mccutchen (who quietly turned around his early season woes to get to ~.290/6/25/12 with like ~25-30 runs scored, good for #20 overall in 5x5 fantasy baseball) so like, with a decent platoon at first with garret jones and gaby sanchez, i'd love to see them to get another big ol dope who can hit 30HR alongside sentient defense who can be inserted at #4-5 in the lineup and give mccutchen some protection/runs. if they could get a #1-3 starter then that's just tits, cuz idk if we gotta get stoneroses here to talk about teh whole aj burnett thing.... but i wouldn't count on good liriano sticking around to give you a ~3.00/1.10 pitcher who would strike out 200+ in a full 30/+ start season. somewhere he's gonna start getting hit and have that ERA rise up into the mid 4s....

so yeah, i'm interested to see what the pirates do. they've got a good thing going on right now; i don't think the reds are necessarily unstoppable, and sure the cardinals are gonna hang out in the 80s-90s for that win total.... but if pittsburgh can keep on chugging along and win 95+ games and make the playoffs, then yeah, shoot, go get someone larochey (they've had the wrong laroche for awhile) who can give you .270/30/100 and then you can use garret jones in the OF more often, giving you a marte/mccutchen/(jones/tabata) OF (with tabata being your 4th OF du jour, as he too has had solid segments of seasons but he's also prone to go into the tank for awhile) or hell, get a sentient shortstop who can actually hit beyond a clint barmes level.... hope alvarez gets/stays hot (2HR today) and you've got something.

riding the wave of this investment in mccutchen, who signed a ~6-8 year deal ~2 years b4 hitting free agency or something. remember the stuff on here lamenting that the cubs got "beat" in free agency by the pirates cuz mccutchen was the type of guy they'd throw big money at for the next phase of the rebuild and welp, this aint the good ol days where jim hendry can call up and offer a bag of crap for a ~24 year old aramis ramirez)

AHEM. i fucked this all up..... let's see if these guys wanna stick with what they got and start singing "we are family" again and hope that this bunch can get into those 90s wins and have a crack in the tournament come october, or let's see if they really wanna capitalize on a good thing and plug a couple of holes and help out the talent they've got (cuz you could do a lot worse than mccutchen/marte/alvarez in terms of an offensive core trio going forward, cuz ideally that'd be your 2-3-4 of the order) cuz like, seriously, that series against the cubs was really good for the pirates cuz while i forget if they swept outright or took 2/3 or 3/4, but like, all those games were 1-0 or 2-1 or whatever, teh cubs pitched their asses off.... and in tight playoff-style baseball games they had #TWTW and got the job done. now let's see if management is willing to try and make some splashes that help out those core 3 guys plus your neil walkers and garret joneses and these guys finally make the damn playoffs. the dream would be a marquee #1/2 starter who you'd trot out there and go A-HA in the playoffs, cuz like, if they do make it and you're looking at aj burnett leading you into battle.... sorry, i don't believe it. IIRC his last playoff experience was positive as he stepped up for the yankees and kept them alive when everyone said the series was over..... but if you could throw out someone absolutely dealing, even some unknown instastud like patrick corbin (this year's wade miley, save having more of a thoroughly mediocre track record at the MLB level prior to showing up out of nowhere and hanging with clayton kershaw in a pitcher's duel)

blah babbling.... tl;dr = these pirates are fun and a top of the rotation arm alongside a slugging 1B to transcend the garret jones / gaby sanchez thing and help backup pedro alvarez for when he's slumping = the pirates definitely finish above .500 and prolly get a playoff spot, that is, if you consider getting to the wild card play in game as "making the playoffs" --- semantically speaking, you're not in the playoffs unless you're in a series. SHOMER SHABBOS * pounds table *

you want a toe? i can get you a toe. we're dealing with fucking amateurs here, dude....

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:20 pm 

21-28

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:23 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
i think this is the year to get on the pirates.... while the last two years have had above-.500 starts followed by 2nd half collapses to keep that impressive ~20 year sub -.500 streak alive, nowadays they've quietly been pimpslapping teams around as their decent lil lineup has meshed with league average pitching and they're nice and solid.

they invested some money in mccutchen, pedro alvarez needs to eventually put it all together (hitting ~.275, 30HR, etc) cuz he's had streaks where he's as hot as you can be for a few weeks here or there... i mean he got his 30+ HR last year, but this year his pressure to repeat the success resulted in him battling mendoza, which i think he's finally conquered even tho he'd only be in the ~.210-.220range.

they've got a legit ballplayer in starling marte to bat in front of mccutchen and get on base, and theoretically they've got something in alvarez to bat behind mccutchen (who quietly turned around his early season woes to get to ~.290/6/25/12 with like ~25-30 runs scored, good for #20 overall in 5x5 fantasy baseball) so like, with a decent platoon at first with garret jones and gaby sanchez, i'd love to see them to get another big ol dope who can hit 30HR alongside sentient defense who can be inserted at #4-5 in the lineup and give mccutchen some protection/runs. if they could get a #1-3 starter then that's just tits, cuz idk if we gotta get stoneroses here to talk about teh whole aj burnett thing.... but i wouldn't count on good liriano sticking around to give you a ~3.00/1.10 pitcher who would strike out 200+ in a full 30/+ start season. somewhere he's gonna start getting hit and have that ERA rise up into the mid 4s....

so yeah, i'm interested to see what the pirates do. they've got a good thing going on right now; i don't think the reds are necessarily unstoppable, and sure the cardinals are gonna hang out in the 80s-90s for that win total.... but if pittsburgh can keep on chugging along and win 95+ games and make the playoffs, then yeah, shoot, go get someone larochey (they've had the wrong laroche for awhile) who can give you .270/30/100 and then you can use garret jones in the OF more often, giving you a marte/mccutchen/(jones/tabata) OF (with tabata being your 4th OF du jour, as he too has had solid segments of seasons but he's also prone to go into the tank for awhile) or hell, get a sentient shortstop who can actually hit beyond a clint barmes level.... hope alvarez gets/stays hot (2HR today) and you've got something.

riding the wave of this investment in mccutchen, who signed a ~6-8 year deal ~2 years b4 hitting free agency or something. remember the stuff on here lamenting that the cubs got "beat" in free agency by the pirates cuz mccutchen was the type of guy they'd throw big money at for the next phase of the rebuild and welp, this aint the good ol days where jim hendry can call up and offer a bag of crap for a ~24 year old aramis ramirez)

AHEM. i fucked this all up..... let's see if these guys wanna stick with what they got and start singing "we are family" again and hope that this bunch can get into those 90s wins and have a crack in the tournament come october, or let's see if they really wanna capitalize on a good thing and plug a couple of holes and help out the talent they've got (cuz you could do a lot worse than mccutchen/marte/alvarez in terms of an offensive core trio going forward, cuz ideally that'd be your 2-3-4 of the order) cuz like, seriously, that series against the cubs was really good for the pirates cuz while i forget if they swept outright or took 2/3 or 3/4, but like, all those games were 1-0 or 2-1 or whatever, teh cubs pitched their asses off.... and in tight playoff-style baseball games they had #TWTW and got the job done. now let's see if management is willing to try and make some splashes that help out those core 3 guys plus your neil walkers and garret joneses and these guys finally make the damn playoffs. the dream would be a marquee #1/2 starter who you'd trot out there and go A-HA in the playoffs, cuz like, if they do make it and you're looking at aj burnett leading you into battle.... sorry, i don't believe it. IIRC his last playoff experience was positive as he stepped up for the yankees and kept them alive when everyone said the series was over..... but if you could throw out someone absolutely dealing, even some unknown instastud like patrick corbin (this year's wade miley, save having more of a thoroughly mediocre track record at the MLB level prior to showing up out of nowhere and hanging with clayton kershaw in a pitcher's duel)

blah babbling.... tl;dr = these pirates are fun and a top of the rotation arm alongside a slugging 1B to transcend the garret jones / gaby sanchez thing and help backup pedro alvarez for when he's slumping = the pirates definitely finish above .500 and prolly get a playoff spot, that is, if you consider getting to the wild card play in game as "making the playoffs" --- semantically speaking, you're not in the playoffs unless you're in a series. SHOMER SHABBOS * pounds table *

you want a toe? i can get you a toe. we're dealing with fucking amateurs here, dude....

Agreed on Pirates, the only thing is they have like ZERO margin for error or slumps because they have no money and most of their prospects are already up

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:42 pm 

Yost is an idiot, I seem to recall the Brewer thought so much of his managerial ability, they shitcanned him with 12 games to go in a campaign where they actually made the playoffs. That being said, I don't think the manager is really the problem or solution here.

I think the Royal hitting prospects have been overrated. Moustakas' hit tool is nothing special, I can see him being a decent regular, but more of a Scott Brosius or Shea Hillenbrand type. solid but nothing too exciting. Hosmer is totally lost. He might be a Mientkiewicz with some speed, range and utility with the leather, but not exactly what you want in a franchise 1B. They traded away their one hitting prospect with upside in the Shields trade (Myers isn't exactly lighting up the TB farm, either, however.).

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Ned Yost might soon pay for the Royals' underachieving. There also could be a fire sale out there the longer they stink.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:37 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
21-28

If things go to their recent form, they will continue to tank, have a nice September which will again cause people to speculate that 2014 will be their year

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
SHARK wrote:
Ned Yost might soon pay for the Royals' underachieving. There also could be a fire sale out there the longer they stink.

They've stunk for the last 19 years.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:41 pm 

The problem is upstairs. I'm not sure what Dayton Moore would have to do to get fired at this point.

Trade Sal Perez for a rosin bag?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:05 pm 

And you thought the Royal were already hitting like shit?

Kansas City Royals ✔ @Royals

#Royals announce that George Brett and Pedro Grifol will assume the interim hitting coach and special assignment coach roles, respectively.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Apologist wrote:
And you thought the Royal were already hitting like shit?

Kansas City Royals ✔ @Royals

#Royals announce that George Brett and Pedro Grifol will assume the interim hitting coach and special assignment coach roles, respectively.

Only the beginning?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:06 pm 

Hottest team in baseball right now. 9-1 over their last 10 games.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:53 pm 

Brett must have them shitting their pants less

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:48 am 

The Jeff Francoeur Era ends in Kansas City: Royals designate outfielder for assignment.

Now the Royals can call up their 22 year old monster right fielder. Oh wait.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:43 am 

The ‪Royals‬ win their 8th in a row & are now 2 games over 500 and 4.5 games back in the Wild Card race!

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 am 

Imagine if Hosmer didnt start so horribly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
21-28

:lol: :lol:

40-65
http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/chw/chicago-white-sox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:56 am 

I haven't mentioned the White Sox in this thread.

Caller Bobs gonna Caller Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:13 pm 

Take series vs. Boston today and are now 18-5 since all star break.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 am 

Royals fan tweets that the Royals are about to have their biggest moment in 10 years as they put runners on first and second with no out in the 9th inning of a 4-3 game. They’re threatening to move within 3 games of the second WC.

Well, here's what happened... The Royals responded by 1) bunting, then 2)pinch hitting Carlos Pena and George Kotteras, two guys who are terrible at putting the ball in play. In the inning, Getz pinch hit for Moustakas, Ciriaco ran for Getz, Lough hit for Cain (to bunt), Pena hit for Dyson, and Kotteras hit for Escobar. All to deal with a melting down Chris Perez. They didn’t score.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:27 am 

Apologist wrote:
Royals fan tweets that the Royals are about to have their biggest moment in 10 years as they put runners on first and second with no out in the 9th inning of a 4-3 game. They’re threatening to move within 3 games of the second WC.

Well, here's what happened... The Royals responded by 1) bunting, then 2)pinch hitting Carlos Pena and George Kotteras, two guys who are terrible at putting the ball in play. In the inning, Getz pinch hit for Moustakas, Ciriaco ran for Getz, Lough hit for Cain (to bunt), Pena hit for Dyson, and Kotteras hit for Escobar. All to deal with a melting down Chris Perez. They didn’t score.

Unbelievable

Giving away outs is not a good way to score runs