It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Last night vs Tampa Bay , No Decision, 7IP, 5 Hits, 2 Runs, 2 Earned Runs, 1 walk, 3 K's, 1 HR.

Since being traded

6 games, 2-1, 43.2 IP, 31 hits, 15 runs, 15 earned runs, 6 HR allowed, 6 walks, 30 K's, .082 WHIP, ERA 3.09

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:33 pm 

ERA up quarter of a run since he was a Cub in its eventual climb towards 4.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
He is strong enough to pitche twice in a 7 game series, making it kind of cool to be a possible World Series MVP.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:51 pm 

bigfan wrote:
He is strong enough to pitche twice in a 7 game series, making it kind of cool to be a possible World Series MVP.

I don't think 0-1 with a 3.3 ERA will get him a WSMVP.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:03 pm 

Wonder where Samardzija will fall in playoff rotation?

I could see 4th but Im sure they'll want to break up the lefties Kasmir and Lester

Anyway, someone will probably get hurt and it will be moot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:07 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I could see 4th but Im sure they'll want to break up the lefties Kasmir and Lester

I think Kazmir would be odd man out. Lester is the Number 1. Gray, Shark , then Kazmir would be my guess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
ERA up quarter of a run since he was a Cub in its eventual climb towards 4.

I would think that normally a ERA would go up when you go from the National to the American league.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:25 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I think Kazmir would be odd man out. Lester is the Number 1. Gray, Shark , then Kazmir would be my guess.

Well most times you need four anyway. Kazmir is a really weird case.

Then you have to factor in the team they're playing.

Could be a pretty awesome pitching series between Tigers - A's

Schererzer - Lester
Verlander- Gray
Price- Samardzija
Sanchello-Kasmir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Schererzer L- Sale W
Verlander L- Danks W
Price W- Quintana L
Sanchello L- Noesi W

8) 8)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:14 pm 

8/9 vs Minnesota W 9-4 6.0 IP 7H 2R 2ER 0HR 5K 2BB

Since being traded

GS 7 3-1 49.2 IP 38H 17R 17ER 6HRA 7BB 35K .906 WHIP

Sign him !!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:48 am 

Oh noes!! The Shark with a rough outing against the Royals. Hope this doesn't hurt his 120 million contract push. 8 games started for a team 25 games over and has managed only 3 wins.
Took the loss 6.1 IP 8H 4R 3ER 0BB 5K
Since trade 3-2, 3.21 ERA 56IP 46H 21R 20ER 0.92 WHIP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:56 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Oh noes!! The Shark with a rough outing against the Royals. Hope this doesn't hurt his 120 million contract push. 8 games started for a team 25 games over and has managed only 3 wins.

Rogue, I apologai here, but is your point that he is not a good pitcher or just not worth the money he is asking for?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:06 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Rogue, I apologai here, but is your point that he is not a good pitcher or just not worth the money he is asking for?

Its both. He's john ranks without the arm problems. He's a fucking loser no matter who he pitches for.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:09 am 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
That is not too shabby for a middle rotation starter pitching for an AL team in the middle of a pennant race.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:12 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Its both. He's john ranks without the arm problems. He's a fucking loser no matter who he pitches for.

:lol:

Used to be he's one of the .500 guys, now you're busting him down to LOSER status?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:12 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Ok, the contract we can agree on, but those are not bad numbers for a pitcher. Not saying a 1, but anywhere else in the rotation they would fit in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Those sure aren't Kyle Hendricks numbers. What did Shark do with the Cubs this year?? 2 wins. Hendricks has 4 as his replacement already.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:32 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Those sure aren't Kyle Hendricks numbers. What did Shark do with the Cubs this year?? 2 wins. Hendricks has 4 as his replacement already.

so shark is -2 WAR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:37 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
That is not too shabby for a middle rotation starter pitching for an AL team in the middle of a pennant race.

Middle rotation pitcher who wants to be paid like a number 1. That's the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:54 am 
100000 CLUB

Kinda the going rate. That is not his problem, thats a baseball problem. What did Max Scherzer turn down, $200 million or something crazy like that? So the Cubs didn't give him the money he wanted. Somebody out there will.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 pm 

As 312 playa alluded to, rough start for Sharkness today against the Met. 3.2IP 7H 7R 7ER 2HR 2BB 3K
Since trade he's 3-3, 59.2 IP , 53H, 28 R, 27 ER, 8 HR , 9 BB. 37 K, 1.06 WHIP

Wait a minute Rogue you may ask, what about all those starts for the Cubs where he pitched so great and gosh darn it , that anemic Cub offense cost him victories with no run support? If only he went to a
"good" team, he'd set the league on fire. Well gentle reader, sometimes it doesn't matter who you put around a guy, he'll pitch to his level no matter what. Maybe he just is what he's been all along no matter who he is pitching for. An overrated, maybe if he's lucky .500 pitcher. Whomever is the GM that signs him to that 100 million plus payday he wants because you know , he thinks thats what he's worth, will regret that deal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:39 pm 

1.06 WHIP is good

This Jorr Wins thing is way the hell outta control now.

Why even post the non W-L stats?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
1.06 WHIP is good

He's a sub-.500 pitcher. Wasn't his record supposed to bloom as soon as he got "run support"?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:17 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
1.06 WHIP is good

He's a sub-.500 pitcher. Wasn't his record supposed to bloom as soon as he got "run support"?

I never said that. But run support does matter and it does affect Win Loss percentage. And run support doesnt normalize after 6 starts. This is so ridiculous. I know you know these things are true

He's also in his third year of being a starter so I dont know why anyone is writing the final book on him either way. Ted Lilly was a .500 pitcher when he came to the Cubs. Then he went 44-25. What happened? Anything to do with being on a better team?

He's a good pitcher. That's why his WHIP is so low, why players picked him to be an All Star and why Billy Beane traded for him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:15 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
1.06 WHIP is good

I never said that. But run support does matter and it does affect Win Loss percentage. And run support doesnt normalize after 6 starts. This is so ridiculous. I know you know these things are true

He's also in his third year of being a starter so I dont know why anyone is writing the final book on him either way. Ted Lilly was a .500 pitcher when he came to the Cubs. Then he went 44-25. What happened? Anything to do with being on a better team?

He's a good pitcher. That's why his WHIP is so low, why players picked him to be an All Star and why Billy Beane traded for him.

He's not a good pitcher. He has some numbers that make you believe he might someday be a good pitcher.

What's ridiculous is people acting like starting pitchers are these helpless fawns subject to circumstances. They have far more effect on the game outcome- not to mention their own records- than the modern fan wants to believe. And sure, they aren't going nine innings anymore. But for a really good pitcher that should actually help his winning percentage. He only has to leave with the lead after his six or seven and he can't get hung with a loss. Yeah, his bullpen might blow a game here and there, but that ultimately isn't going to effect his percentage. I don't expect the modern pitcher to have 30 decisions, but a good one should find it much easier to post a good winning percentage than guys did when they were expected to pitch deeper into games.

And Ted Lilly is a terrible example. He was a journeyman who was terrible and when he hit his late 20s/early 30s he finally figured out how to pitch. There have always been guys like that. His "run support" in Chicago had nothing to do with his near 6 ERA in Toronto.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

He's not a good pitcher. He has some numbers that make you believe he might someday be a good pitcher.

No, he's good right now and has been for a while.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What's ridiculous is people acting like starting pitchers are these helpless fawns subject to circumstances. They have far more effect on the game outcome- not to mention their own records- than the modern fan wants to believe. And sure, they aren't going nine innings anymore. But for a really good pitcher that should actually help his winning percentage.

They dont have near the effect you think/wish they did. This isnt 1970 anymore.

The offense and defense behind you matters and it differs vastly from team to team. (spare me the part where you say that 4.99 runs per game and 4.01 is equal because its not)

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
He only has to leave with the lead after his six or seven and he can't get hung with a loss. Yeah, his bullpen might blow a game here and there, but that ultimately isn't going to effect his percentage.

Now that's just factually inaccurate.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And Ted Lilly is a terrible example. He was a journeyman who was terrible and when he hit his late 20s/early 30s he finally figured out how to pitch. There have always been guys like that. His "run support" in Chicago had nothing to do with his near 6 ERA in Toronto.

Oh, wait so now ERA matters?

Ted Lilly is a perfect example but you dont like it because it destroys your theory. He didnt learn to pitch. He got better run support and faced worse competition (AL east with DH vs NL central without)

Ridiculous.

You've completely overreacted to people saying Wins are "meaningless" (They certainly are not meaningless) and you've taken it to a crazy extreme (Wins tell you everything you need to know)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:48 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
No, he's good right now and has been for a while.

If he's so good, how do the less good pitchers who face him get the wins while he gets the losses? They're actually playing a game out there, you know. It's self-contained. He now plays for an offensive juggernaut, so the "run support" excuse is gone. He has certain numbers that suggest he is capable of being a good pitcher. That's a lot different than actually being one.

rogers park bryan wrote:

They dont have near the effect you think/wish they did. This isnt 1970 anymore.

The offense and defense behind you matters and it differs vastly from team to team. (spare me the part where you say that 4.99 runs per game and 4.01 is equal because its not)

Because you've been taught to look at the game over season-long numbers rather than within the actual confines of the games as they are played. Please explain to me how a team can score a fraction of a run. For the purposes of today's game a team that averages 4.99 runs per game and one that averages 4.01 are exactly the same. And now the one that averages 4.99 has to face the great Jeff Samardzija, but he is so great he can't overcome a fraction of a run- something that cannot be scored- within the context of the game he is actually pitching. If all that is true, how fucking good could he be? Anyway, as I said, that excuse is gone. He's now playing on a team that is excellent at all facets of the game.

rogers park bryan wrote:

Now that's just factually inaccurate.

No, it's absolutely a fact. How does a no decision have any effect on winning percentage?

rogers park bryan wrote:

Oh, wait so now ERA matters?

Ted Lilly is a perfect example but you dont like it because it destroys your theory. He didnt learn to pitch. He got better run support and faced worse competition (AL east with DH vs NL central without)

I've never said ERA "doesn't matter". Look at Lilly's ERAs prior to coming to the Cubs. He obviously learned something. Many pitchers throughout history turned themselves around when they hit about 30 years old. Al Leiter is another guy like that who comes to mind. Jake Arrieta is a guy who is in the process of doing it right now. At least you hope he is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Please explain to me how a team can score a fraction of a run. For the purposes of today's game a team that averages 4.99 runs per game and one that averages 4.01 are exactly the same.

More factual inaccuracies

A team that averages 4.99 is a lot better and a lot harder to get out than a team that average 4.01

JORR wrote:

No, it's absolutely a fact. How does a no decision have any effect on winning percentage?

If a bullpen blows a game that's one less Win. The win would have raised his percentage. This is ridiculous that I have to pretend to be explaining these very basic concepts to you

If a pitcher is 4-3 and leaves with a 3-0 lead that the closer blows, then his winning percentage is .571 if he got the Win, As he Should have, the percentage would be .625

JORR wrote:

I've never said ERA "doesn't matter". Look at Lilly's ERAs prior to coming to the Cubs. He obviously learned something.

Your Colon vs Sheets argument pretty much dismisses ERA altogether

Speaking of that, in that argument, you like to use the AL vs NL thing.

Which is the reason Lilly's record was better. Better team playing worse competeition

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Because you've been taught to look at the game over season-long numbers rather than within the actual confines of the games as they are played.

This is so true and also the biggest issue that most people cannot grasp. Statistics are only helpful if you know how to use them. I can think of a radio host that doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
More factual inaccuracies

A team that averages 4.99 is a lot better and a lot harder to get out than a team that average 4.01

That only becomes clear over the course of 162 games and is based on facing many pitchers you consider to be inferior to Jeff Samardzija. It has no bearing on today's game when the marginally better offense is facing a supposedly great pitcher.

rogers park bryan wrote:

If a bullpen blows a game that's one less Win. The win would have raised his percentage. This is ridiculous that I have to pretend to be explaining these very basic concepts to you

Why are you assuming he should get a win pitching six or seven innings? He also doesn't have an opportunity to blow the game himself. Talk about a basic concept. The FACT is it has no bearing on his winning percentage.

rogers park bryan wrote:

Your Colon vs Sheets argument pretty much dismisses ERA altogether
Speaking of that, in that argument, you like to use the AL vs NL thing.
Which is the reason Lilly's record was better. Better team playing worse competition

Are you really going to argue that Ben Sheets was a better pitcher than Colon? I'm sure that pitching in the AL did have some negative effect on Lilly's ERA. Probably not an entire run though. Lilly got better. It happens.