It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
immessedup17 wrote:
Undoubtedly.

So, let me get this straight. He started 33 games, won 7, lost 13, and got no decision in another 13. How good could he have been when so many other pitchers were consistently better than he was?

I guess the disconnect is between what I consider a "good" pitcher and what the majority of fans consider a "good" pitcher these days. It's simply a different weltanschauung of baseball.

Most of the fans who came of age post Bill James/Moneyball have a different idea about what a "good" pitcher is. The idea that getting on base is the ultimate goal in playing baseball has led to the disconnect. And while getting on is clearly important (you need baserunners in order to score obviously), it's been elevated to a stature where people cannot seem to see beyond it and other important aspects of the game have been lost.

And the flipside of getting on base is a pitcher preventing guys from getting on base. The common thread in most of the statistics you prefer for telling you who a "good" pitcher is is that they measure a pitcher's effectiveness in keeping men off base.

I don't believe getting on base or keeping the opponent off base is the object of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
badrogue17 wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Ended his Oakland season at 5-6. 3.14 ERA , WHIP of .931. Again, every stat would indicate that he pitched really great, except wins.

I'm glad we now all agree that wins is a bad stat to judge a pitcher on.

Yeah im sure Billy Beane will have preferred the year Samardzija had for him if they miss the playoffs over say 7-3 , 4.1 ERA, 1.3 WHIP and making the playoffs .

I'm also sure Billy Beane wishes he had not traded away Cespedes, and would have fortified an offense that over-achieved in the first half of the season.

Instead, he got good pitching and no runs scored.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
8-5
3.91 era (and rising)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:32 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Shark week!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:10 pm 

:lol:

Pitchers park,pitchers parks in the division and this loser is @ 4.22 era and losses mounting quickly..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:15 am 

Buyers remorse on this scrub yet for SF?

9-8

4.40 era

1.24 whip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6