It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
More factual inaccuracies

A team that averages 4.99 is a lot better and a lot harder to get out than a team that average 4.01

That only becomes clear over the course of 162 games and is based on facing many pitchers you consider to be inferior to Jeff Samardzija. It has no bearing on today's game when the marginally better offense is facing a supposedly great pitcher.

It's not marginal and you know it. This is probably the worst part of your theory and the one I know you know is false.

JORR wrote:

Why are you assuming he should get a win pitching six or seven innings? He also doesn't have an opportunity to blow the game himself. Talk about a basic concept. The FACT is it has no bearing on his winning percentage.

Except you said "a bullpen might blow a game for him" so that tells me he was going to win....or they wouldnt be "blowing it for him"

Are you attempting to argue that percentage is not affected by having Less Wins?

JORR wrote:

Are you really going to argue that Ben Sheets was a better pitcher than Colon? I'm sure that pitching in the AL did have some negative effect on Lilly's ERA. Probably not an entire run though. Lilly got better. It happens.

The team around him and competition faced is the main reason for his better numbers.

You're just wrong on this

And it's a copout anyway. You're sitting here saying a guy is "a .500 pitcher that pitches to his competition" then when that proves to be not the case you say "oh...well he just got better then"

I think its a bit arrogant on your part to assume you are right when pretty much 99% of people who follow the game, analyze the game and get paid to work in the game completely disagree.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
He's not a good pitcher. He has some numbers that make you believe he might someday be a good pitcher.
He is certainly not bad. He's better than post 2008 Gavin Floyd ever was.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:34 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
I think its a bit arrogant on your part to assume you are right when pretty much 99% of people who follow the game, analyze the game and get paid to work in the game completely disagree.

Disagree with what? That Jeff Samardzija isn't a good pitcher? I have no idea what percentage of people think he is a good one. And frankly, I don't care. If that makes me arrogant, so be it. But I'm not going along with the Emperor's new clothes just because many goofs decided that WHIP and FIP are the measurements to be used to declare a man successful rather than what actually occurs within a competitive situation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
He's not a good pitcher. He has some numbers that make you believe he might someday be a good pitcher.

If Gavin Floyd is the measuring stick, you really aren't very good. In actuality, Floyd is a good comparsion for Samardzija. Prior to getting hurt he had certain numbers the led one to believe he could be better than he usually was.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Disagree with what? That Jeff Samardzija isn't a good pitcher? I have no idea what percentage of people think he is a good one. And frankly, I don't care. If that makes me arrogant, so be it. But I'm not going along with the Emperor's new clothes just because many goofs decided that WHIP and FIP are the measurements to be used to declare a man successful rather than what actually occurs within a competitive situation.

You waaaaay overvalue Wins as a stat.

You ignore the large difference between offenses. You ignore defense.

You overvalue the unique elements of each single game

We are talking about what actually occurs. Samardzija actually has given up 1.06 baserunners per inning. It happened. It's reality.

Guys get Wins when pitching terribly and losses when pitching well. Also reality.

You're the one clinging to the Emperor. You and BadRogue are telling everyone to move along with the parade while everyone else is screaming that the Emperor is naked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:41 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Prior to getting hurt he had certain numbers the led one to believe he could be better than he usually was.
From 2009 until he got hurt, his W-L was under .500.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:42 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

If Gavin Floyd is the measuring stick, you really aren't very good. In actuality, Floyd is a good comparsion for Samardzija. Prior to getting hurt he had certain numbers the led one to believe he could be better than he usually was.

Floyd got 5.90 runs per game of support in 2008 and went 17-8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:03 am 

Gavin Floyd also had a 2.38 ERA in his wins and a 6.02 ERA in his losses that year... but i'm sure it was mostly run support that decided those games, right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:18 am 

WestmontMike wrote:
Gavin Floyd also had a 2.38 ERA in his wins and a 6.02 ERA in his losses that year... but i'm sure it was mostly run support that decided those games, right?

Are you really trying to make the case that the offense scoring 5.90 runs per game (a full run higher than the team's average) didnt help?

In 2008, He gave up 4 runs or more 16 times and lost 5 of those starts. (5.90 run support)

In 2009 he gave up 4 or more runs 9 times and lost 7 of those starts (4.44 run support)

In 2010 he gave up 4 or more runs 12 times and lost 10 of those starts (3.92 run support)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:21 am 

I just checked my post again. No, i didn't say that. To be clear, I'm saying Gavin Floyd had a big part in winning the games that he won and a big part in losing the games that he lost.

Not sure why this arbitrary number means something to you, but he gave up 4 or more runs 12 times in 2008, not 16 times. I didn't check the other years, i'll assume they're as accurate as everything else you posted.

Last edited by WestmontMike on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:26 am 

WestmontMike wrote:
I just checked my post again. No, i didn't say that. To be clear, I'm saying Gavin Floyd had a big part in winning the games that he won and a big part in losing the games that he lost.

You wrote

but i'm sure it was mostly run support that decided those games, right? in a sarcastic manner in a thread where we are discussing whether or not Run support even exists (JORR says it doesnt)

Seems like discounting run support to me.

The run support was the biggest factor. Ill bet he had similar era numbers in wins and losses in other years. The difference is obvious....run support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:28 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
WestmontMike wrote:

You wrote

but i'm sure it was mostly run support that decided those games, right? in a sarcastic manner in a thread where we are discussing whether or not Run support even exists (JORR says it doesnt)

The run support was the biggest factor. Ill bet he had similar era numbers in wins and losses in other years. The difference is obvious....run support

People see what they want to see i guess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:31 am 

WestmontMike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
WestmontMike wrote:

You wrote

Obviously.

But I happen to know you're a guy who is intelligent and good with numbers.

If the ERA in Wins/ERA in Losses is close to the same in other years and the run support is way skewed, then its pretty clear the run support is the difference, right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
1.06 WHIP is good

This Jorr Wins thing is way the hell outta control now.

Why even post the non W-L stats?

He's a sub-.500 pitcher. Wasn't his record supposed to bloom as soon as he got "run support"?

I never said that. But run support does matter and it does affect Win Loss percentage. And run support doesnt normalize after 6 starts.

He's a good pitcher. That's why his WHIP is so low, why players picked him to be an All Star and why Billy Beane traded for him.
He's had 9 starts actually. 3 nd's.How many starts do we give him to get a picture? 15? Also he's not losing games because of no run support in Oakland, Its because since he came there his ERA is over 4 or 1.3 runs per game worse than when he was with the Cubs. So if he cant win games here with no run support and he cant win games in Oakland who has scored the most runs in the league is he just the hardest of hard luck pitchers? You think Beane didn't expect more than 3-3 in with a plus 4 ERA in 9 starts when he traded for him? I started this thread as a way to track just how much better would he be with a great offense. So far he's a guy with a decent stat line and little else to show for it. I know you weren't clamoring for the Cubs to keep him , really no one here was. He's a cocky, never was pitcher who claims to want the ball in big games and wants big money. He's not deserving of either.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:11 am 

We all just disagree here. Im not sure why I keep arguing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:13 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
You waaaaay overvalue Wins as a stat.

You ignore the large difference between offenses. You ignore defense.

You overvalue the unique elements of each single game

We are talking about what actually occurs. Samardzija actually has given up 1.06 baserunners per inning. It happened. It's reality.

Guys get Wins when pitching terribly and losses when pitching well. Also reality.

You way overvalue limiting baserunners. That's something that's far more important for a short stint reliever when the amount of outs remaining is limited. Like most modern fans you're dazzled by what might be called "dominance" while ignoring some basic realities. Pitchers are going to allow baserunners and runs. What counts is the way they allow them and when. The current conventional wisdom seems to be that the context of the game is incidental. A man just produces the best numbers he can and where they fall is all luck. I don't believe that for one minute.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:14 am 

None of us are changing our opinions even a little bit. Agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:15 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

As long as yours is that Samardzija isn't that good Im cool with it . :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:18 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

As long as yours is that Samardzija isn't that good Im cool with it . :)

He's one of the top 25 or 30 starters in baseball. He's be a #2 on most teams and a #3 on real good teams

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:20 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
WestmontMike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
WestmontMike wrote:

You wrote

Obviously.

But I happen to know you're a guy who is intelligent and good with numbers.

If the ERA in Wins/ERA in Losses is close to the same in other years and the run support is way skewed, then its pretty clear the run support is the difference, right?

My point is that stats can be very misleading. People do this stuff for a living, we don't. I'm guessing it's a whole lot more difficult and time consuming than just clicking on baseball reference, looking at the WAR or whip or whatever the flavor of the month is. Go back to your Gavin Floyd example.

2008 when he gave up 3 runs or less he was 14-3
2009 when he gave up 3 runs or less he was 9-4
2010 when he gave up 3 runs or less he was 10-3
same years
2008 when he gave up 4 or more runs he was 3-5
2009 when he gave up 4 or more runs he was 2-7
2010 when he gave up 4 or more runs he was 0-10
Draw your own conclusion from that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:11 pm 

Shark with a youge win the other night against the Astros . 8 innings, 6 hits, 2 runs , 2 earned runs. 1 walk, 10k's. Ran his record playing with the highest scoring team in the league to 4-3. WHIP of just over 1 yet he's managed to lose 3 times with this offensive powerhouse. Unlucky.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Shark with a youge win the other night against the Astros . 8 innings, 6 hits, 2 runs , 2 earned runs. 1 walk, 10k's. Ran his record playing with the highest scoring team in the league to 4-3. WHIP of just over 1 yet he's managed to lose 3 times with this offensive powerhouse. Unlucky.

My favorite part of this thread is how even when he Wins you rip him.

Look, Wins are everything or they arent.

You cant talk all this shit about how run support doesnt matter and then when he actually gets your holy grail of stats, THE W, you chalk it up to run support

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:33 am 

Poor Shark can't catch a break. A victim of no run support yesterday in a 2-0 loss to Anaheim he falls to 4-4 . Look at his .960 WHIP though!! Some guys are just destined for mediocrity no matter who they play for.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Nobody has ever said "Wins are everything." But it should be obvious that they aren't "meaningless." Samardzija can lose on good teams or bad ones. He's going to cost Oakland the division.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:54 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nobody has ever said "Wins are everything." But it should be obvious that they aren't "meaningless." Samardzija can lose on good teams or bad ones. He's going to cost Oakland the division.

Pretty sure Billy Beane expected more than 4 wins and .500 record from him when he made the deal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The post season is when I can celebrate ...right after Samardiza gets shallacked in his first playoff performance . I'm still hoping for a rough September n watch that Era climb.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 am 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
The post season is when I can celebrate ...right after Samardiza gets shallacked in his first playoff performance . I'm still hoping for a rough September n watch that Era climb.

He isn't likely to get shellacked though. He has too much stuff for that. That's shown in his numbers like WHIP and K/BB. The problem is people confuse having a lot of stuff with being a good pitcher. What he'll probably do- if he doesn't cost them the postseason altogether- is lose 3-1 to a guy a whole lot of people would tell you isn't as good a pitcher as Jeff Samardizija.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nobody has ever said "Wins are everything."

People have and are acting like that is true besides never stating the words.

Anyway, Im just saying you cant scream about how W-L is so important and then go back to run support when he Wins a game.

Saying he's going to cost them the division is hilarious. I doubt even you believe that JORR

They've had a precipitous drop in offensive production in the second half

Athletics' Offensive Splits: First and Second Half
R BA OBP SLG HR XBH wOBA wRC+
STATISTIC (1ST HALF RANK) 466 (2) .251 (16) .328 (5) .400 (8) 98 (T-6) 277 (8) .323 (6) 109 (3)

STATISTIC (2ND HALF RANK) 171 (6) .239 (25) .312 (16) .380 (17) 36 (T-9) 109 (12) .307 (18) 97 (11)
MLB.com, Baseball Reference, FanGraphs

So, you can stop saying "the highest scoring team in the league" They've actually been one of the worst offensive teams while he's been there. But that's probably his fault, right?

But its more fun to blame SHARK and pretend it validates the belief in W-L % :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
So, you can stop saying "the highest scoring team in the league" They've actually been one of the worst offensive teams while he's been there. But that's probably his fault, right?

They're the top scoring team in the league. Maybe Detroit has scored as many or a couple more runs as of this morning, I'm not sure. So what are you saying now? That the average runs per game a team scores is suddenly irrelevant to today's game? In the past you've insisted that a team averaging a fraction of a run more was a big part of a reason for a pitcher getting an "unlucky" loss. In each game there is a pitcher on the other side facing a better offense than the one Samardzija has to face. How good could a pitcher be if he regularly allows more runs to an inferior offense than the guys he faces do to a superior one?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

They're the top scoring team in the league. Maybe Detroit has scored as many or a couple more runs as of this morning, I'm not sure. So what are you saying now? That the average runs per game a team scores is suddenly irrelevant to today's game? In the past you've insisted that a team averaging a fraction of a run more was a big part of a reason for a pitcher getting an "unlucky" loss. In each game there is a pitcher on the other side facing a better offense than the one Samardzija has to face. How good could a pitcher be if he regularly allows more runs to an inferior offense than the guys he faces do to a superior one?

What are you talking about?

The A's have been one of the worst offenses in baseball since the trade deadline. I just posted the numbers.

They ranked 22nd in runs scored in August

Everyone who follows baseball knows and has been talking about how their offense disappeared. Not sure how you missed that. Its why they traded for Adam Dunn.

And Ive never called a pitcher unlucky. You must be confusing me with someone else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next