Yes, a big difference 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
No difference at all 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
A really bad or really good manager only makes a difference 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 24
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
good dolphin wrote:
IMU wrote:
Sitting Soler and Baez provided them with the fire they needed to become postseason stars. Same with Schwarber..

sure it did

It might not have. But when every single person in the game speaks highly of Maddon, every player that plays for him speaks highly about him...and a team wins 97 games and advances through the first two rounds of the playoffs...I'm giving him some credit. For sure.

If I had a boss with a crap attitude or one that I didn't respect a ton...I wouldn't give 100%. I don't think anyone would, unless you're trying to supplant that person.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:58 am 

IMU wrote:
Sitting Soler and Baez provided them with the fire they needed to become postseason stars. Same with Schwarber.

:lol: Stick to Clash of Clans. This is just stupid talk. He played the hot hand in Soler and was forced to play Baez because of an injury.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:00 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Juiced wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't want you to say "a good manager handles his pitching staff good". I want you to explain what that means. Tell me a guy you think is a good manager and what specifically he does different than a bad one.

Bad managers tell players what to do that fits their way of thinking. They don't explain why, they just demand results. These managers can be successful with veteran players who also bark orders and lead by production only. Example (Sammy Sosa, Zambrano). They become bad managers when they fail to adjust to their players and expect the players to adjust to them without explaning why or how. Example (Dusty Baker)

Good managers explain why, but expects the players to adjust to them instead of adjusting to the players. These type of managers lose the club house after the players lose faith in the managers single way of thinking. Example (Lou Pinella)

Great managers get the players to believe they are all involved in reaching one goal. To win the World Series. They get them to play as a team and not individuals. A great manager adjust to his players and puts them in the best position to succeed. Even if it means a demotion for some of them. Example (Castro, Wood, Richards, Cahill.) The players feel a greater sense of pride for the team when the team is successful because of their "sacrifices." Respect is earned and not expected on these type of teams. The team becomes a brotherhood of players and this all starts at the top from the President (Epstein) all the way down to the pitching coach (Bosio). Great manager Example (Joe Maddon)

Any manger can get lucky and win any given year with players that match his managing style, but only the great ones create something special.

I guess the Rays just didn't believe enough

Pretty sure they where successful and made the playoffs a couple times. Ozzie was a great manager and didn't win every year. He turned into a bad manager when he thought he was bigger then the team.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:02 am 

Juiced wrote:
IMU wrote:
Sitting Soler and Baez provided them with the fire they needed to become postseason stars. Same with Schwarber.

:lol: Stick to Clash of Clans. This is just stupid talk. He played the hot hand in Soler and was forced to play Baez because of an injury.

And why was Baez ready to play, and why was he set up for success? How did he know Soler had the hot hand? Soler wasn't murdering the ball heading into the playoffs.

You are too busy trying to play contrarian to even think about what you're getting ready to post.

But please...don't change your ways on account of me. I love people like you. Make me look even better than just good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:14 am 

IMU wrote:
Juiced wrote:
IMU wrote:

And why was Baez ready to play, and why was he set up for success? How did he know Soler had the hot hand? Soler wasn't murdering the ball heading into the playoffs.

You are too busy trying to play contrarian to even think about what you're getting ready to post.

But please...don't change your ways on account of me. I love people like you. Make me look even better than just good.

What are you rambling about? I am talking about your "fire and passion" theory that made Soler and Baez stars of the LCS. Calling them postseason stars is a bit inflated. I am not arguing that Maddon had them ready to play. Relax :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:15 am 

How are they not postseason stars? Schwarber and Soler could go hitless for the rest of the team's duration of the playoffs and they would have both had excellent playoffs with huge game deciding blows.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:41 am 

IMU wrote:
How are they not postseason stars? Schwarber and Soler could go hitless for the rest of the team's duration of the playoffs and they would have both had excellent playoffs with huge game deciding blows.

In the LCS yes, but if they go hitless in the NLCS and WS, then no they did not have an excellent postseason. They had an excellent LCS series. If the season ended yesterday, then yes I would say they had an excellent postseason, but it is not done yet and their excellence is yet to be determined for 2/3 of their potential postseason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:43 am 

Juiced wrote:
IMU wrote:

In the LCS yes, but if they go hitless in the NLCS and WS, then no they did not have an excellent postseason. They had an excellent LCS series. If the season ended yesterday, then yes I would say they had an excellent postseason, but it is not done yet and their excellence is yet to be determined for 2/3 of their potential postseason.

I think you need to check your acronyms before you can discuss this any further.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Terry's Peeps wrote:
If the player bunted the ball harder and led to a double-play, was it still a good managerial decision?

Ifs are irrelevant. Maddon coached the if out of it. Cubs spent a lot of time in the last several weeks of the season practicing this play. To quote parenthood.... what if he dropped it... but he didnt... what if he did... honey you hit him a thousand popups in the yard...

Good management had them prepared to execute that play and good management called the play.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:57 am 

gd wrote:
like a bad gambler, a certain group of fans only talks about the successful moves

We're only talking successful moves because so far that is the majority of Maddon’s moves. 97 wins in season and 4 postseason wins and 2 advancements speak to that. I'll be willing to discuss his bad moves with you when he costs them a game or series with bad decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Darkside wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
If the player bunted the ball harder and led to a double-play, was it still a good managerial decision?

Ifs are irrelevant. Maddon coached the if out of it. Cubs spent a lot of time in the last several weeks of the season practicing this play. To quote parenthood.... what if he dropped it... but he didnt... what if he did... honey you hit him a thousand popups in the yard...

Good management had them prepared to execute that play and good management called the play.

So the result is what made it a good managerial decision.

Good Result means good decision.
Bad Result means bad decision.

Thanks for answering.

You may now continue your regularly scheduled programming.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:23 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

So the result is what made it a good managerial decision.

Good Result means good decision.
Bad Result means bad decision.

Thanks for answering.

You may now continue your regularly scheduled programming.

Congrats on missing 95% of the point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Eh...

Maybe 86%.

We disagree. It's cool.

I think the manager makes little difference in-game.

His influence is felt more outside the confines of the game in my opinion.

I still think you're okay.

For now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I very much agree with JORR that managers are overrated / overvalued....that does not mean they aren't important. it's both.

Joe Maddon is a good manager simply from the fact that I don't recall seeing any of his players on this Cubs roster or Tampa rosters "underachieving". He is a leader and that is very much intangible. That's the stuff that matters most from a manager, but is most difficult to identify and articulate.

Ozzie Guillen makes for an interesting example. I do not think he was the same manager in Miami as he was in Chicago. The one thing Ozzie did the best as a manager is deflect criticism from his players. The minute someone on the field was struggling he'd open his mouth and create a distraction. In the end...the distractions were had too much teeth. In Chicago, he publicly negotiated his exit from the team....BAD. In Miami...he went too far with the Castro comment....just not a comment he could laugh or talk his way out of it.

All the other crap of substitutions and lineups or the easy part. it is leadership....the ability to instill confidence that matters most. You're seeing this out of Joe Maddon by the fact that all of his players are contributing / confident.

At the same time managers are overvalued because not Joe Maddon, not Earl Weaver...NO ONE....could make that White Sox roster a playoff team. it's a bad roster. yet often enough, the manager is fired because of a bad roster.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I just hope the manager continues to not really matter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
bigfan wrote:

You should probably hope that Arrieta is able to give you three good games and a bunch of guys keep hitting homers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
bigfan wrote:

You should probably hope that Arrieta is able to give you three good games and a bunch of guys keep hitting homers.

Like I said, hoping it doesnt matter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
W_Z wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Seriously, I wonder how many guys here know that Bill Veeck actually let the fans manage some games with giant cards. That's how important that particular baseball genius thought it was.

he also let a midget have an at bat. he was a showman more than a baseball guy. he was like the michael bay of baseball.

Veeck as in Wreck knew more about baseball dead than you do alive!

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
bigfan wrote:

MADDEN HOAGIE

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

Well Z, that showman ship is flying all over Wrigleyville now and is the Cubs unofficial hashtag. Bill Veeck was the one who started flying W and L flags over Wrigley.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Speaking of managers & re-treads, the Nationals are considering hiring Dusty Baker. For the love of God, don't GM's & owners ever learn? Give someone else a chance & forget about the old guys who havent won anything.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:53 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Scorehead wrote:
Speaking of managers & re-treads, the Nationals are considering hiring Dusty Baker. For the love of God, don't GM's & owners ever learn? Give someone else a chance & forget about the old guys who havent won anything.

Um... I thought you liked Joe Maddon?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:10 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

:lol: :lol:

...and Jim Harbaugh, who last I checked had way more pairs of khaki pants than he does rings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:28 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Scorehead wrote:

They already tried a new guy with Williams. Not defending Dusty.