It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minor league HR record
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:53 pm 

How in the hell are you still playing in the minors at the age of 36... ?

Quote:
Mike Hessman ties minor league home run record

He isn't anywhere as famous as Barry Bonds, but Mike Hessman will soon join the former Giants slugger in the ranks of career home run kings.

Hessman, who plays for the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens, tied the all-time minor league record Wednesday, hitting his 432nd home run in a 9-3 win for Toledo.

The real-life Crash Davis, 36, is now tied with Buzz Arlett for the record. Hessman has spent half his life in the minors since being drafted by the Braves in 1996.

"I'm just grateful and thankful to keep playing," Hessman told radio reporters after the game.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
You would think the Braves would five him a Bobby Scales type look in September.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Cool that a guy has made a career out of playing minor league baseball. There are worse fates.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:00 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Cool that a guy has made a career out of playing minor league baseball. There are worse fates.

oh no doubt. I would do it in a heartbeat.

But hard to believe teams would keep a guy around that long.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:01 pm 

denisdman wrote:

I'm guessing he's made over a million .. Pretty damn food ino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:

Definitely. A guy I grew up with played almost that long.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... rter002jef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:29 pm 

I'd probably see if there were better options/pay in Japan before sticking it out in the minors that long

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:35 pm 

RFDC wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Have to fill in spots around the real prospects. Most guys figure that's what they are by mid to late 20s and retire since minor leaguers make less than 20k per year.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:38 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Most guys figure that's what they are by mid to late 20s and retire since minor leaguers make less than 20k per year.

Or as 312player calls them, millionaires.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 pm 

I looked up this scrubs stats , he's had 5 major league stints from 03-14 .... The league minimum is like 500k right now .

So let's say the league minimum was averaged out @ 300 k in his stints ...that's 5 years @ 300k = 1.5 million ...not to mention the 12 or so years he made 25 k ....Dude has made well over a million dollars in his career.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:42 pm 

312player wrote:
I looked up this scrubs stats , he's had 5 major league stints from 03-14 .... The league minimum is like 500k right now .

So let's say the league minimum was averaged out @ 300 k in his stints ...that's 5 years @ 300k = 1.5 million ...not to mention the 12 or so years he made 25 k ....Dude has made well over a million dollars in his career.

Are you really that stupid?

Having a cup of coffee in the majors does not earn you a full annual salary.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:42 pm 

How does that league minimum thing work for those guys that come up for a few games and go back?

Do they make more money for those specific games and then go back down to the minor league salary when he goes back down?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:45 pm 

I could be wrong ..Keyser probably knows ..I always assumed if ya got ONE major league at bat..you get the mininum .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:56 pm 

312player wrote:
I could be wrong ..Keyser probably knows ..I always assumed if ya got ONE major league at bat..you get the mininum .

You get the minimum for 1 game. Your scenario would be like going into work for 1 hour, quitting, and then collecting a yearly salary. Do you realize how moronic that sounds?

Quote:
Here is the financial breakdown from what I have learned:

First let's discuss the situation for when a player is in the minor leagues.

Minor league players are payed a salary which depends on the level they are currently playing in. For example: Rookie ball players can make around $1200 per month while most players in AAA (the highest level of the minor league) can make around $2000-2500 per month.

For major league players, the minimum salary in 2011 is $414,000 per season. If a minor league player is called up to the majors, he will receive a prorated salary of the $414,000 minimum during his tenure on the MLB team.

http://www.quora.com/How-is-an-MLB-players-compensation-affected-when-he-gets-called-up-from-the-minors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:28 pm 

OK ..I'm wrong , there is no way this guy made a million . 350 k tops ..including signing bonuses .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
denisdman wrote:

Like pulling in $50k annually in Madison, WI.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:

Quote:

He isn't anywhere as famous as Barry Bonds, but Mike Hessman will soon join the former Giants slugger in the ranks of career home run kings.

Hessman, who plays for the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens, tied the all-time minor league record Wednesday, hitting his 432nd home run in a 9-3 win for Toledo.

The real-life Crash Davis, 36, is now tied with Buzz Arlett for the record. Hessman has spent half his life in the minors since being drafted by the Braves in 1996.

"I'm just grateful and thankful to keep playing," Hessman told radio reporters after the game.

I don't see a problem with that. What do they make? 70 or 80k a year? What's wrong with playing ball if you can make that? Maybe I'm high, but even if it's 50k a year, that's more than the average American income.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:19 pm 

Beardown wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Quote:

I don't see a problem with that. What do they make? 70 or 80k a year? What's wrong with playing ball if you can make that? Maybe I'm high, but even if it's 50k a year, that's more than the average American income.

As I posted earlier they make less than 20k. 2700 a month for six months at top end if you make triple A.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
RFDC wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Not really. Teams have 2 responsibilities at the minor league level.....Develop talent for the parent club and draw fans. Winning and hitting HR's helps with regard to the latter. Plenty of fans who regularly attend minor league games actually care about their team winning minor league championships or a player achieving personal feats like this. As long as the guy is productive and helping his team win, it's easy to understand how he might keep a job. Good for him. With all the gimmicky crap minor league teams do just to get fans in the stands, here is a guy doing something between the lines to that end.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
RFDC wrote:
How does that league minimum thing work for those guys that come up for a few games and go back?

Do they make more money for those specific games and then go back down to the minor league salary when he goes back down?

Prorated for days on the 25-man roster, I'm sure. That's the way the NHL does it on entry-level and veteran two-way contracts, except there are no hard-cap considerations for it in baseball, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Curious Hair wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Prorated for days on the 25-man roster, I'm sure. That's the way the NHL does it on entry-level and veteran two-way contracts, except there are no hard-cap considerations for it in baseball, of course.

Baseball reference has him earning $300,000 for his major league service.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
You make big league money for being on the 40 man roster. Technically he could have been in the minors for 3 years....never gotten called up and still made 900k or so. The only difference with being on the 25 is the meal money...which is probably a few bills a day.

Minor league free agents also make decent money comparable to having a real job. He is 36 which means he has been signing free agent deals for probably 10 years. Those can range from 40-75K per year if not more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:30 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
You make big league money for being on the 40 man roster. Technically he could have been in the minors for 3 years....never gotten called up and still made 900k or so. The only difference with being on the 25 is the meal money...which is probably a few bills a day.

Minor league free agents also make decent money comparable to having a real job. He is 36 which means he has been signing free agent deals for probably 10 years. Those can range from 40-75K per year if not more.

Yet 40k year one on 40 man and 80k after that when not in majors but on 40 man.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:33 pm 

If you are in big league camp during spring training you could net a few thousand just on meal money.....but I want to say you do not get paid during the offseason or spring training. That salary is regular season only.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:35 pm 

What do these guys make per diem on the road ? C note ? Per nite ? That count to "salary" ?

This guy should have been in Japan the last decade n been living large .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:43 pm 

312player wrote:
What do these guys make per diem on the road ? C note ? Per nite ? That count to "salary" ?

This guy should have been in Japan the last decade n been living large .

Minors 25 a day.
MLB 100 a day

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:55 pm 

Scouts get more meal money than minor leaguers. Minor league meal money is bad. Hell minor league everything is bad. Incentive to make to the big leagues. Don't want guys getting comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:05 pm 

A few years ago it was 20 per day for players and 40 for staff. Getting an envelope with $400 for a 10 day road trip was still kind of cool. You virtually never have to use it....lunch and post game drinks at most. Hotels have breakfast, lunch at the park and post game spread at the park. If a big league player is ever on rehab then you are eating very well as they always get the spread catered from a decent chain restaurant. Seeing a GM pull out the company coupon card at Hooters was classic though. Gotta get that 10 percent off.