All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Brewers Plan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
A tank job is a tank job is a tank job.
No it isn't. Are you saying what the Tigers are doing this year and what the Pirates did is the same thing?

I dont know what you are saying the Pirates "did". The Tigers havent tanked.

rogers park bryan wrote:
But when a team is bad, they are bound to hit on draft picks eventually (See: Bengals of the 90s and early 00s)
I want to know what teams you are referring to in the NFL.

The Bengals and Lions. They were bad forever, kept missing on picks, then finally they hit on some (how could you not?) and they became a playoff team.

Clippers, Royals and Pirates pretty similar.

What about the Raiders and Jaguars? How come it hasn't worked for them?[/quote]
I think it will eventually. Although the Raiders are kinda cheating the system (almost seems like they dont want to win) with the crazy non sensical picks.

Rick, I dont give much more credit to the Royals than I do the Lions and Bengals. I see all three turnaround pretty similar. The Royals had a great post season. If they lose in the first rd this year and never get back, they'll be forgotten like Palmer's Bengals

FF, didnt the NBA have to initiate the draft lottery to stop teams from tanking? And didnt the Cavs tank to get LeBron?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:01 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Rick, I dont give much more credit to the Royals than I do the Lions and Bengals. I see all three turnaround pretty similar. The Royals had a great post season. If they lose in the first rd this year and never get back, they'll be forgotten like Palmer's Bengals
Don't the Royals have the most wins in the AL this year?

The Lions and Bengals have done nothing besides make the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

FF, didnt the NBA have to initiate the draft lottery to stop teams from tanking? And didnt the Cavs tank to get LeBron?

Tanking during one season definitely happens in the NBA, and it is a problem. But it seems like Rick's main point is tanking for multiple (3-5) years. That really doesn't happen in the NBA. Teams are bad for years on end in other sports, but thats mainly due to incompetence. The Cavs didn't really tank for LeBron, they just sucked.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
So, everyone has a plan...most dont work

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:04 pm 

Tanking for years on purpose isnt really a common thing in MLB either. The Pirates and Royals tried to compete and failed for a long time. Its not like they decided years ago to stockpile picks. It just took years of misses first.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:06 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Tanking for years on purpose isnt really a common thing in MLB either. The Pirates and Royals tried to compete and failed for a long time.
Pirates, Royals, Cubs, Mets and Astros were all really bad for a long time and are now World Series contenders besides maybe the Mets.

Maybe this year is a fluke for that though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Tanking for years on purpose isnt really a common thing in MLB either. The Pirates and Royals tried to compete and failed for a long time.
Pirates, Royals, Cubs, Mets and Astros were all really bad for a long time and are now World Series contenders besides maybe the Mets.

Right only two of those were purposeful. Royals, Pirates and Mets have been trying for a long time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:10 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Right only two of those were purposeful. Royals, Pirates and Mets have been trying for a long time
The end result was the same.

Let me put it another way.

If you aren't good at baseball now, the best way to become a great team is to lose for 4-5 straight years or maybe even more. Is that true or false?

It's harder to justify that for other sports.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Pirates, Royals and Astros has mutiple PLANS and failed time after time.....so they might have been bad for 10+ years

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:28 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
just need to find a ace.

piece of cake

then I say Sale and you say hurt and I say no and you say yes then I drop Rodon and you are stumped but say something anyway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:30 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Pirates, Royals and Astros has mutiple PLANS and failed time after time.....so they might have been bad for 10+ years

Pirates plan was to maintain a low salary so they received luxury tax money. It is probably a good plan from a business perspective

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
The end result was the same.

Let me put it another way.

If you aren't good at baseball now, the best way to become a great team is to lose for 4-5 straight years or maybe even more. Is that true or false?

It's harder to justify that for other sports.

False. Best way is to consistently draft and develop well combined with spending wisely.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:33 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
False. Best way is to consistently draft and develop well combined with spending wisely.
So all these teams that were terrible for a long time all just happened to do that suddenly?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:34 pm 

This is a great excuse to bring up this hilarious story....

Littlefield received a large amount of negative publicity after the Pirates lost five prospects from their minor league system with the first six picks in the 2003 Rule 5 draft, even though they had unused spots on their 40-man roster and could have protected several of the players if they had chosen to do so. Chris Shelton, who had recently been honored as the team's minor league player of the year, went with the first pick, and he was followed in short order by Rich Thompson, Frank Brooks, Jeff Bennett, and José Bautista.[1] Baseball executives present at the draft laughed openly at Littlefield's embarrassment, and the laughter intensified after the Pirates declined to make a pick of their own.[1] The Cincinnati Reds, picking seventh, had all five Pirate players listed on their draft board and were frustrated to see them all go too soon, and an anonymous executive from another American League team said that his team had also planned to take a Pirate prospect, refraining only because in his words, "There wasn't anything left."[1]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
So all these teams that were terrible for a long time all just happened to do that suddenly?

No. I just explained this. The Royals and Pirates finally hit on some picks. They arent spending.

The Cubs and Astos purpossly bottomed out. The Mets hit on a bunch of pitchers in the draft.

The Giants, Red Sox, Cardinals and other teams that win the WS usually do it the way I described.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:40 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

No. I just explained this. The Royals and Pirates finally hit on some picks. They arent spending.

The Cubs and Astos purpossly bottomed out. The Mets hit on a bunch of pitchers in the draft.

The Giants, Red Sox, Cardinals and other teams that win the WS usually do it the way I described.
The problem is that your explanation basically says "Do your job well".

I'll take my chances with the team that loses many seasons in a row.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Royals and Pirates hit on a lot of picks that they ended up trading away. I am sure finances (Carlos Beltran) was at least part of the reason for some of their moves. I wouldn't necessarily say "finally" for them.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:56 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Royals and Pirates hit on a lot of picks that they ended up trading away. I am sure finances (Carlos Beltran) was at least part of the reason for some of their moves. I wouldn't necessarily say "finally" for them.

From 96-03 they had 7 top ten picks. 6 of them busted out. The other was Greinke.

Then they started hitting with Butler, Hosmer, Moustakas etc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:09 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

From 96-03 they had 7 top ten picks. 6 of them busted out. The other was Greinke.

Then they started hitting with Butler, Hosmer, Moustakas etc

One of them was the long drive guy at the Score Golf outing in 2014!