It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Brewers Plan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Its easy to say "REBUILD" but how?

Brewers taking PART of the CUB WAY...

1. Developing a style and method to be taught to all young players. Takes better part of a year or two to just develop the plan and get the right teachers in.
2. Acquire talent to develop. I am not talking about Bryants, Rizzo, etc...but you will have chance to get them...talking about loading up on INTL draft slots and do what the Cubs did...idnetify a good draft and a weak draft. Overload on the good draft...and almost bypass the other. Cubs signed 5 of the top 30 in the INTL draft and the Brewers are looking to copy that.
3. Fill in the holes with signings.

They might not be able to spend as much as the cubs and the hitter they want is the doubles guy, like KC, so they can resign them.

Its going to take time, but a good plan is in place, with a Good GM and Good manager to get it done.

All starts with a plan.

Post subject: Re: The Brewers Plan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:28 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
How many teams can afford to bottom out like the Cub did?

I know the Marlins can because they really don't have many fans to begin with, but will it go over well in Milwaukee, Philly, etc...

I still see empty seats in Houston even though they're in contention.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:23 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Bottoming out will hurt Milwaukee very much. There will always be people who want to go to a Brewers game because it's fun, but if they're utterly hopeless, attendance will be back down around 15,000, to be generous.

Those crowds in 2007 and 2008 when the Brewers returned to contention were absolutely electric. Standing room only, it was great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Milwaukee has more of a shot at a return to contention than Cincinnati. They need to get a little lucky, combined with good development like Pittsburgh; but sometimes you just get lucky and find a guy in KBO.

In my mind, talk of "Plans" is just a thing to have talking points about during a down period. Every team and GM has a plan, of course. Some will execute it well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:59 am 

It has already been in the process for the last year, started with the trade of Gallardo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
The Gomez trade was robbery

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:03 am 

I don't think the Cubs invented losing for 5 straight years and getting high draft picks because of it. Pittsburgh and Kansas City did it before them.

It's a little sad that this seems to be the way to get good in baseball but that is how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:03 am 

They went from supposedly the worst or one of the worst minor league systems to possibly Top 5 next year. They have 3 of the top 20 players in the Arizona Fall League.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:04 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't think the Cubs invented losing for 5 straight years and getting high draft picks because of it. Pittsburgh and Kansas City did it before them.

It's a little sad that this seems to be the way to get good in baseball but that is how it goes.

you can blame ya boy jerry for that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:06 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

you can blame ya boy jerry for that.
Just like everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:09 am 

he truly is the worst

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:28 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
It has already been in the process for the last year, started with the trade of Gallardo.

You can even say it started during the 2014 draft when they changed their recent philosophy and started targeting high upside high school players.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:52 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

You can even say it started during the 2014 draft when they changed their recent philosophy and started targeting high upside high school players.

Agreed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
They are way ahead of where the Cubs were. They have 4/5 of a rotation that is cost controlled and at the big league level right now in Nelson, Wily, Davies and Jungmann.

They only have 2 shitty contracts at the big league level to get rid of. Garza has to go but even though Braun is an ass he wasnt statistically that awful this year.

They should have their future OF already in the system. That OF does not include Davis whom gripped and ripped enough hr's that they can dump him off to be a DH somewhere so he never ever sees the field again. I will miss seeing runners tag from 2nd to 3rd on a fly to LF with that arm of his.

They have some talent at the SS position as well in the minors. Doug did a lot of ground work on the rebuild for Stearns.

Hopefully the owner remains patient with the rebuild and doesn't make them sign a bunch of recognizable crap in order to sell tickets.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:23 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The NBA and NFL have a long history of tanking to rebuild

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:28 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The NBA yes. The NFL no.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I think the Brewers will be able to reload reasonably well, for many of the reasons listed previously. They have proven in the past that they can develop young hitting talent (Braun, Fielder, Cain, Lucroy) as well as the occasional young starter (Gallardo).

They are faced with being in the currently toughest division in baseball, and so they realistically have to aim for a window of 2018-2020 and hope that one of the three teams ahead of them can't figure out how to reload successfully.

They drew 2.7M in 2010 with a 77-win team. When they were really horrible back in 2002, they drew just under 2M. So they need to stay in that 73-75 win range for the next couple of years, or make the decision to give up 500k in attendance revenue for a better set of draft picks.

The Reds, on the other hand, are likely to be a 4th/5th place for a very long time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Hawg Ass wrote:

Correct...lol..this isnt a hypothetical scenario....

And EVERY team can bottom out, many do over a period of time. Every team can afford it as well.

The Cubs might have been able to endure it better, but there isnt a MLB team that couldnt do it.

The A's and Sox have the = attendance each year.

Thats an easy excuse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:09 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Correct...lol..this isnt a hypothetical scenario....

And EVERY team can bottom out, many do over a period of time. Every team can afford it as well.

The Cubs might have been able to endure it better, but there isnt a MLB team that couldnt do it.

The A's and Sox have the = attendance each year.

Thats an easy excuse

Sox already have some enviable pieces in place if they are truly on a three year plan. The difficult to find items are here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah, right!
They just happened to forget to pick up all of the "easy-to-find" pieces last off season.

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The NBA yes. The NFL no.

Yes, for the NFL. Not for every team there are exceptions (as there are in MLB and NBA) but many teams in the NFL have tanked for draft position and rebuilding purposes.

You've been advocating for the Bears to do it for a few years now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:08 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Yes, for the NFL. Not for every team there are exceptions (as there are in MLB and NBA) but many teams in the NFL have tanked for draft position and rebuilding purposes.
What teams?

Keep in mind we are talking about multi-year tank jobs. Of course some teams have been bad for a year or two, and some tanked in a given year to get a quarterback(Colts for Luck) but it really isn't common to have a team lose for 5 years in order to get good. It seems like in MLB that a good percentage of the playoff teams can point to long periods of losing as the reason they are there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
What teams?

Keep in mind we are talking about multi-year tank jobs. Of course some teams have been bad for a year or two, and some tanked in a given year to get a quarterback(Colts for Luck) but it really isn't common to have a team lose for 5 years in order to get good. It seems like in MLB that a good percentage of the playoff teams can point to long periods of losing as the reason they are there.

A tank job is a tank job is a tank job.

And no, you're thinking of certain teams. Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers are perernial contenders.

But when a team is bad, they are bound to hit on draft picks eventually (See: Bengals of the 90s and early 00s)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:17 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
No it isn't. Are you saying what the Tigers are doing this year and what the Pirates did is the same thing?

rogers park bryan wrote:
And no, you're thinking of certain teams. Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers are perernial contenders.
Well, outspending everyone else is another way to build up a team.

rogers park bryan wrote:
But when a team is bad, they are bound to hit on draft picks eventually (See: Bengals of the 90s and early 00s)
I want to know what teams you are referring to in the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
No it isn't. Are you saying what the Tigers are doing this year and what the Pirates did is the same thing?

I dont know what you are saying the Pirates "did". The Tigers havent tanked.

rogers park bryan wrote:
I want to know what teams you are referring to in the NFL.[/quote]
The Bengals and Lions. They were bad forever, kept missing on picks, then finally they hit on some (how could you not?) and they became a playoff team.

Clippers, Royals and Pirates pretty similar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:49 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
The Pirates were bad for many years in a row to get where they are. The Tigers are bad this year, and seem to have embraced a one year downturn.

rogers park bryan wrote:
The Bengals and Lions. They were bad forever, kept missing on picks, then finally they hit on some (how could you not?) and they became a playoff team.
Those teams aren't great though. It didn't work to make them anything but average.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Clippers, Royals and Pirates pretty similar.
The Royals almost won the World Series, and the Pirates are your pick to win the World Series.

As I said though, the NBA has similar incentives to tank so the Clippers are true but not really important.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

rogers park bryan wrote:
I want to know what teams you are referring to in the NFL.

Clippers, Royals and Pirates pretty similar.[/quote]
What about the Raiders and Jaguars? How come it hasn't worked for them?

Also, Rick and rpb, the Cubs type of plan does not happen in the NBA typically. The only close parallel is the 76ers, who are universally mocked by the NBA media for what they are doing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Baseball always changes the rules when somebody actually tries harder to win.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Also, Rick and rpb, the Cubs type of plan does not happen in the NBA typically. The only close parallel is the 76ers, who are universally mocked by the NBA media for what they are doing.

Da Bool after Jordan?

They sucked big time. And when they did get a guy in Brand they traded him for Chandler!

Kinda like Jrue Holiday getting dumped?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:57 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Sox already have some enviable pieces in place if they are truly on a three year plan. The difficult to find items are here.

just need to find a c, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, rf, lf and ace.

piece of cake