It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 Game Wildcard Series.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Even after the Cubs won, they still need to do this for 3 games. You just cant have a 162 game season boil down to 1 game. Should be 3 games, back to back as well.

Dont even care if you go 2 in the better records park and then 1 at the other.

It goes with the theory of evaluating a team. A large part of what makes a good team is the depth of the team, which shows during the season. The 1 gamer doesnt.

Some here predicted Cubs fans would be bitching about a 1 game series after they lost, well, I think we might have even got the edge due to the 1 game series...and its still wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The point is to put the WC team at a disadvantage vs. the division winners. That doesn't really seem to be working.

I agree in that baseball is a game of series. To have a one game "series" is an oddity. One of the issues is that the winners don't want to sit for a week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
3 games, then start the series would give the Divsion winners a really big edge. Taking a teams top 2 starters out....is a huge edge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I think 2 extra days off starts to become a disservice to the teams that get the bye. I'd prefer two games at the home team's site - Tuesday 7pm and Wednesday 1pm. Visiting team has to win both to survive.

NLCS/ALCS series not involving the wild card teams start Wednesday night. The series involving the wild card teams start on Thursday. I'd let the #1 seeds pick on Sunday night which team they'd prefer to face - WC winner, #2 record, or #3 record.

This gives the home team an extra benefit for winning in one game, they can travel during the day on Wednesday. The flip side is that if they do lose game 1, they get the extra game's box office and concessions.

The visiting team should just be happy that they're not the 1993 Giants and suck it up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:07 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Even after the Cubs won, they still need to do this for 3 games. You just cant have a 162 game season boil down to 1 game. Should be 3 games, back to back as well.

Dont even care if you go 2 in the better records park and then 1 at the other.

It goes with the theory of evaluating a team. A large part of what makes a good team is the depth of the team, which shows during the season. The 1 gamer doesnt.

Some here predicted Cubs fans would be bitching about a 1 game series after they lost, well, I think we might have even got the edge due to the 1 game series...and its still wrong.
Everyone is claming the whole playoffs if a crap shoot and any team can win.

So, why does it matter if it is 1 game, 3 games, 5 games, 7 games, 9 games, or 27 games?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Think of all the shit Maddon could come up with if there was a full week between the last regular season game and the first playoff game!