It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I still don't understand JORR's argument here. They were pretty much the best team in the AL from start to finish, and then handily beat the Mets in the World Series. From a casual fan's perspective, this doesn't come close to resembling the 2007 Giants in terms of a mediocre team winning a championship.

Look at the careers of the players on the Royals and compare them to that Giants team. Moustakas is a career .245 hitter. Alex Gordon is a left fielder who averages 15 homers a year.

Moustakas found another level last year and he hasnt come down. That's him, now.

Great fielder that hits around 275 and 20 homers.

He doesnt hit .275 with 20 homers. He's done that once. Why judge him by his best year?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
sinicalypse wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
handily beat the Mets in the World Series.

dude.... what?

the royals had to come back and tie it in the 9th in games 1/5, they basically did the same thing in the 8th in game 4 (exascerbated by d-murphy fucking up a grounder).... they were basically in position to be put away 2-3 times (depending on your semantics) and those are 2-3 of their 4 series wins.

if you wanna see a team handily beating another look at what the mets did to the cubs.... they left the first inning with a lead in every game IIRC and they never let the cubs have the lead once.... THAT is handily beating a team, not having to rally back in the 8th/9th and let a team shit the bed and choke it away.

the mets choked away three of the royals' 4 wins this world series. its not like they came into the series and just transcended the mets.

They beat the Mets 4-1. That's handily, regardless of the number of excuses you wanna throw out there. It was not a close series. In 2011, the Bulls dominated the Heat in the first game, and then lost four close games after that. Nobody remembers that as a competitive series.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
WAR Position Players† †s c a p y
2015 AL 7.2 (4th)

And you know that's because way too much weight is put on the defensive components. Anyway, he averaged about 2 over the previous three seasons. He's a nice player. Let's not make too much of him.

if anything this post season has shown defense has been undervalued.

Not in the context of WAR though.

Its overvalued in WAR. They havent figured that out yet.

MLB guys with all the propriety tracking and their scouting reports probably have an accurate metric for defense.

The peasants hobbyist are the ones who aren't able accurately measure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:23 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

dude.... what?

the royals had to come back and tie it in the 9th in games 1/5, they basically did the same thing in the 8th in game 4 (exascerbated by d-murphy fucking up a grounder).... they were basically in position to be put away 2-3 times (depending on your semantics) and those are 2-3 of their 4 series wins.

if you wanna see a team handily beating another look at what the mets did to the cubs.... they left the first inning with a lead in every game IIRC and they never let the cubs have the lead once.... THAT is handily beating a team, not having to rally back in the 8th/9th and let a team shit the bed and choke it away.

the mets choked away three of the royals' 4 wins this world series. its not like they came into the series and just transcended the mets.

Sini you're not giving the Royals any credit. Gordon hitting that home run off one of the best in baseball isn't a choke. Very few series are dominated like the Mets pounding the Cubs. KC went through arguably the best team in Toronto then took advantage of every mistake the Mets made. The whole " yeah but" stuff is a losers lament.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I still don't understand JORR's argument here. They were pretty much the best team in the AL from start to finish, and then handily beat the Mets in the World Series. From a casual fan's perspective, this doesn't come close to resembling the 2007 Giants in terms of a mediocre team winning a championship.

Look at the careers of the players on the Royals and compare them to that Giants team. Moustakas is a career .245 hitter. Alex Gordon is a left fielder who averages 15 homers a year.

Moustakas found another level last year and he hasnt come down. That's him, now.

Great fielder that hits around 275 and 20 homers.

He doesnt hit .275 with 20 homers. He's done that once. Why judge him by his best year?

Im not saying he's done that a bunch. I mean I believe that is the player he is now and will be in the future.

He's always had the 15-20 power and the glove. He's maintainted the average now for over a full season.

Also, when a highly touted prospect gets better in his early to mid 20's I dont look at it like a career year. I look at it as a very good player reaching his potential. That is what is supposed to happen and often does (and sometimes it doesnt, I know). You seem to go with the career year thing a lot in those instances.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
rogers park bryan wrote:
Its overvalued in WAR. They havent figured that out yet.

Prove that and you have a job in an MLB front office waiting for you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:28 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

dude.... what?

Sini you're not giving the Royals any credit. Gordon hitting that home run off one of the best in baseball isn't a choke. Very few series are dominated like the Mets pounding the Cubs. KC went through arguably the best team in Toronto then took advantage of every mistake the Mets made. The whole " yeah but" stuff is a losers lament.

Ill just add that when a team's strength is their bullpen, late inning comebacks are not the long shot flukes that they sometimes appear to be.

The extra inning games are perfect examples of that.

Though, if Murphy makes the play, it could easily be 3-2 Mets right now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im not saying he's done that a bunch. I mean I believe that is the player he is now and will be in the future.

He's always had the 15-20 power and the glove. He's maintainted the average now for over a full season.

Also, when a highly touted prospect gets better in his early to mid 20's I dont look at it like a career year. I look at it as a very good player reaching his potential. That is what is supposed to happen and often does (and sometimes it doesnt, I know). You seem to go with the career year thing a lot in those instances.

Well, he's probably at his career peak for the next few years, but I judge a player by his body of work. Rick Wilkins had one great season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
badrogue17 wrote:
Gordon hitting that home run off one of the best in baseball isn't a choke.

jeurys familia had a nice year but he isn't one of the best in baseball.... i think he kind of proved that.

obviously the royals did what they had to do, but what kind of a gameplan is "we'll be trailing heading into the 8th or 9th inning and then we'll show the world that we're the best team in baseball cuz we JUST WON'T LOSE!!!!!"

considering the royals put themselves in a position to be finished off on multiple times (yeah they handled the blue jays), man, yeah they deserved to win cuz they did what they had to do... but i'm not calling this the best damn team in baseball and the start of a dynasty and then the rest of baseball is going to build themselves like the fucking royals. they're scavengers... not apex predators!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:33 pm 

It sucks for fans like me and sini, but the Mets proved they suck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
NL had a down year. Mets were the best team out of a weaker NL. NL's been down for a few seasons now.

Only reason Royals didn't win it all last year is madison bumgarner:

Bumgarner in 2014 World Series:

Game 1: 7 innings, 1 run

Game 5: 9 innings, 0 runs

Game 7, 5 innings (in relief, to close/save), 0 runs.

Any of the AL teams (Houston, Toronto, Royals...maybe not the Rangers) that made the post-season probably beat any of the NL teams that made the playoffs this year in a 7 game series.

What it says for the Cubs is you go out and get the best free agent pitcher on the market this off-season--David Price--even if he has tipped pitches and has yet to win in the post-season.

Last edited by Hussra on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

the mets went out and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory 3 times to provide 3/4 of their WS losses. didnt familia end up with 3 blown saves in the world series? yeah that's alex gordon hitting a huge HR to win the WS, not a chokejob =D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:36 pm 

Well they lost in a 7 games last year then came back and finished it off this year. That's as good as a 2 year run as been had lately. Odds are they won't get back to the WS next year but theyre still going to be good.Mets got beat by a better team.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

sinicalypse wrote:
. they're scavengers... not apex predators!

Perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Royals have been winning this way for a few years now. Regular season, playoffs. Gotta respect that they don't give up. Heck, they were down 11-4 to the Jays going into the 9th one game in the ALCS, came back to finish 11-8, and had runners on and had the Jays manager sufficiently worried to go get his closer to finish the job.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:40 pm 

cockroaches will roam the earth long after humans are gone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hatchetman wrote:
cockroaches will roam the earth long after humans are gone.

Quote:
Stan Lee and Betty White said: "Wanna bet?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:45 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

the mets went out and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory 3 times to provide 3/4 of their WS losses. didnt familia end up with 3 blown saves in the world series? yeah that's alex gordon hitting a huge HR to win the WS, not a chokejob =D
Just give it up. We got rocked.

At least we have the NLCS to enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Well, he's probably at his career peak for the next few years, but I judge a player by his body of work. Rick Wilkins had one great season.

Thats fine if you're judging him for a career but he is what he is right now-really good

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Thats fine if you're judging him for a career but he is what he is right now-really good

He had a good year. So did Cain. But when they regress back to their respective career OPS+ of 80 and 100 in a year or so my point about what a shitty WS team this was will be made.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

He had a good year. So did Cain. But when they regress back to their respective career OPS+ of 80 and 100 in a year or so my point about what a shitty WS team this was will be made.

What if they make it three straight WS appearances next year? Still shitty, lucky, scavengers?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Moustakas and Hosmer are 27 and 26.

Trout/Harper skewed how baseball fans expect young guys to perform. Nothing wrong with them breaking out now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

No, it wont because they were still really good this year.

Nothing they do the rest of their careers will change what they did in 2015

You focus too much on the entirety of the career in these situations. Its possible to be good and extremely valuable for a few years but not over a whole career. Those guys matter. Not everyone is Chipper Jones or Barry Larkin.

The 05 Sox are not lesser because Contreras was only that good for like a year. That year is all that matters for that discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:28 pm 

JORR is one of those guys who thinks the stats are more important than who actually won the game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:

You focus too much on the entirety of the career in these situations. Its possible to be good and extremely valuable for a few years but not over a whole career. Those guys matter. Not everyone is Chipper Jones or Barry Larkin.

The 05 Sox are not lesser because Contreras was only that good for like a year. That year is all that matters for that discussion.

First of all, that's wrong regarding Contreras. He had a great long career where he was prevented from playing in the big leagues. He's not Esteban Loaiza.

Their careers do matter. Just about everyone has a good year. If a third baseman hits .275 with 20 home runs for 18 years he's knocking on the door to Cooperstown. If he does that for three or four years in the middle of a bunch of 80 OPS+ seasons, he's the epitome of a journeyman. He's Herbert Perry. Or Mike Moustakas. And he's not very good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
JORR is one of those guys who thinks the stats are more important than who actually won the game.

That couldn't be further from the truth. The Royals are the best team in 2015. That just isn't very good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Also, I want to make a clear case for the greatness of Jose Contreras. He shut down the Orioles offensive juggernaut in 1999 when he was about 35 years old and first got a chance to face a major league team:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullp ... ion_Series

He struck out ten guys and you can look at who was on that team. If he had been allowed to pitch in the majors we would be speaking of him in the same breath with Clemens, Johnson, Maddux, and Pedro.

I'm going to quote Bill James from Baseball Abstract because it applies precisely to Jose Contreras:

"1. Adjustment for Undocumented Parts of a Player's Career

Joe DiMaggio was in the United State Army in 1943, 1944, and 1945. It is my belief that, in rating players, it is appropriate to make an adjustment for this.

I don't make adjustments for players who are injured; I don't make adjustments for players who are suspended or who voluntarily retire, no matter what the conditions. I make adjustments for any player who is clearly a major league player, but who is prevented from playing in the major leagues by forces beyond his control.

One might imagine that it was obvious that we should make an adjustment for this; how in the hell can you evaluate Joe DiMaggio without making an adjustment for that? But if it is obvious to me, it is not obvious to everyone:

Bill James decried the years [Lefty] Grove spent languishing in Baltimore while Jack Dunn held him back from the major leagues, but Grove was no great shakes pitching for a strong second place club in 1925 when he finally did get a chance, and anyway the "what if" game is silly in this context, and endless. What if Alexander had never touched alcohol? What if Feller hadn't gone to war? What if Satchel Paige had been white? What if Earl Averill hadn't broken Dizzy Dean's toe? -Henry Thomas, Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train

Lefty Grove was injured in 1925, but that's a side issue. I had argued in the first version of this book that Lefty Grove should rank ahead of Walter Johnson, in part because of his very large number of great seasons, some of which were in the minor leagues.

Thomas, who is Johnson's grandson, naturally wants to see Grandpa ranked as the greatest pitcher who ever lived, and I have decided, given the evidence of the Win Shares method, to go along with him. But, it seems to me, he is lumping together arguments which can be easily distinguished, and therefore limited. I am not arguing that Lefty Grove would have been a great pitcher in 1923 or 1924. I am arguing that Grove was a great pitcher in 1923 and 1924.

Let's start with Satchel Paige. Is it silly to say that Satchel Paige was a great pitcher in 1933? Hell, it's silly to suggest that he wasn't. Does he have any statistics to prove this? Not really. But in rating players, why is it silly to give Satchel Paige credit for being what he was?

The same with DiMaggio during the war. I am not arguing that DiMaggio would have been a great player in 1945. I am arguing that Joe DiMaggio was a great player in 1945. He was prevented from playing in the major leagues by circumstance beyond his control, but that does not mean that he was not a great player. Exactly the same is true of Lefty Grove in 1923 and 1924. He was a great pitcher who was prevented from playing in the major leagues by circumstance beyond his control.

Now the idea that Dizzy Dean would have been a great pitcher for many years had he not broken his toe- that's a different argument. That's a "what if" argument, arguing that Dean "would have been great". I don't know that I'd describe it as silly, but it's certainly a dangerous line of analysis, because there's no exact limit to it... if Dizzy Dean, why not Herb Score, if Herb Score, why not Jim Maloney?

You never give players credit for what they might have been- but you always give them credit for what they were. In rating players I give compensatory credit for five types of gaps in playing careers:

1. Wartime service.
2. Seasons missed because of racial segregation.
3. Seasons in which a major league star was trapped in the minor leagues by factors beyond his control.
4. Seasons missed by players born before 1856 who may have been in mid-career before the National League was organized.
5. Players who were blocked from playing by league wars impacting their contracts."

I think it's pretty clear that Contreras falls into category 3. You might even say he falls into category 5 as well.

Anyway, I think the same argument can be made for Contreras as is made for Paige or DiMaggio or Grove:

Is it silly to say that Joe Contreras was a great pitcher in 1995? Hell, it's silly to suggest that he wasn't. Does he have any statistics to prove this? Not really. But in rating players, why is it silly to give Jose Conteras credit for being what he was? I am not arguing that Contreras would have been a great player in 1995 or 1996 or 1997. I am arguing that Jose Contreras was a great player in 1995 and 1996 and 1997. He was prevented from playing in the major leagues by circumstance beyond his control, but that does not mean that he was not a great player.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

First of all, that's wrong regarding Contreras. He had a great long career where he was prevented from playing in the big leagues. He's not Esteban Loaiza.

Their careers do matter. Just about everyone has a good year. If a third baseman hits .275 with 20 home runs for 18 years he's knocking on the door to Cooperstown. If he does that for three or four years in the middle of a bunch of 80 OPS+ seasons, he's the epitome of a journeyman. He's Herbert Perry. Or Mike Moustakas. And he's not very good.

You really can't know what Contreras would have done in the US but whatever. Make it Cliff Polite or Jon Garland.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.
The other years have zero effect on 2015 or 2005. They were X amount of effective. That won't change with time.

Carlos Beltran was Mickey Mantle in 2004. Always and forever he was that good that year.

I mean was Eric Gagne not dominant in 03?

I get if you're saying they aren't a powerhouse full of hall of famers (69 Cubs.. Ha!) but that doesn't change how good they played the game.

And I know your thoigts but I see why Hatchet thinks your Bernsteining this thing. Coming off very Much like Bernstein and his dream of a,simulated world series.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:07 pm 

MLB Contreras was peaked by a wide margin in 05-06 compared to his other MLB seasons

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
You really can't know what Contreras would have done in the US but whatever.

We have a damn good idea. We see what he did in the big leagues at age 40. It's not very logical to believe he peaked at 40. We see what Orlando Hernandez did in his late 30s and we know that Contreras was always considered the superior pitcher in Cuba.

We have no problem assuming what Josh Gibson or Satchel Paige would have done, why is Contreras any different. Just like the Negro League players, he was prevented from playing at the top level due to circumstances beyond his control.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Make it Cliff Polite or Jon Garland.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.
The other years have zero effect on 2015 or 2005. They were X amount of effective. That won't change with time.

Carlos Beltran was Mickey Mantle in 2004. Always and forever he was that good that year.

I mean was Eric Gagne not dominant in 03?

I get if you're saying they aren't a powerhouse full of hall of famers (69 Cubs.. Ha!) but that doesn't change how good they played the game.

And I know your thoigts but I see why Hatchet thinks your Bernsteining this thing. Coming off very Much like Bernstein and his dream of a,simulated world series.

Jon Garland had a good career. Johnny Cueto will likely end up looking similar to him when it's all over. Mark Buehrle had a near great career. Paul Konerko had a really good career. The 2005 White Sox were a team loaded with very good players. The 2015 Royals are not.

I'm not saying the Royals didn't deserve to win or even that they weren't the best team this season. In fact, I'm not bernsteining at all. The World Series is how we decide the best team. In 2015 that's the Kansas City Royals. But they're flat out the weakest championship team I can think of if we take them player by player. There are obviously intangibles at work here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next