It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hall of Fame voters
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Almost everytime I hear these guys speak...I feel we have to start over. So many vendettas...so many factors seem more important than actual baseball success...stats...etc

Bill Madden is on MLB Now discussing borderline HoF candidates like Bernie Williams, Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton...and he won't even consider that they were close yo Hall of Fame...and that their WAR is better than half of current HoF CF's...

Bill Madden seems like Bernie Williams turned down an interview request 20 years ago and so nope...no HoF vote for you!

Post subject: Re: Hall of Fame voters
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
In his time not too many better Cf's than Lofton.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:03 am 

IMU wrote:
Almost everytime I hear these guys speak...I feel we have to start over. So many vendettas...so many factors seem more important than actual baseball success...stats...etc

Bill Madden is on MLB Now discussing borderline HoF candidates like Bernie Williams, Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton...and he won't even consider that they were close yo Hall of Fame...and that their WAR is better than half of current HoF CF's...

Bill Madden seems like Bernie Williams turned down an interview request 20 years ago and so nope...no HoF vote for you!

IMO, Bill Madden is right. There isn't enough in those three players' careers to suggest HOF. Hall of the Very Good, yes, but not Hall of Fame worthy.

The three HOF center fielders that I really saw play (Dawson/Puckett/Griffey) were bona fide stars. Top tier free agents who were league leaders in a variety of categories for extended stretches. Not really in the same category as Madden's three very good compilers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
IMU wrote:

IMO, Bill Madden is right. There isn't enough in those three players' careers to suggest HOF. Hall of the Very Good, yes, but not Hall of Fame worthy.

The three HOF center fielders that I really saw play (Dawson/Puckett/Griffey) were bona fide stars. Top tier free agents who were league leaders in a variety of categories for extended stretches. Not really in the same category as Madden's three very good compilers.

Well, I think all three of those guys were probably better than Dawson. And do you really consider Dawson a centerfielder? He played there a lot, especially early, but his knees went rather quickly and he went to the corners.

I do agree that none of them is a Hall of Famer, but I think the issue is that it shouldn't be because they were rude to writers on deadline.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Baseball HOF voters are the absolute worst...the personal vendettas are the exact reason why.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Well, I think all three of those guys were probably better than Dawson. And do you really consider Dawson a centerfielder? He played there a lot, especially early, but his knees went rather quickly and he went to the corners.

I do agree that none of them is a Hall of Famer, but I think the issue is that it shouldn't be because they were rude to writers on deadline.

IIRC Dawson was a center fielder virtually his entire time in Montreal until the concrete killed his knees. While he was the least of the three HOF players I listed (& is probably really only in because of his Cub status) I think for a decade plus he was a better/more complete player than the Madden 3.

There may be some rudeness to writers in there (esp. Lofton), but I think in this instance its being overblown. Frankly, it's probably as much irritation with the Bernie & Edmonds people who are starting to get annoying in their demands to be heard. Bernie has the rings and was a solid player for a lot of years but he was HOF only in his consistency in being a high average player. Edmonds lovers (esp. Cardinal fans) seem to have this foolish belief that he was transcendental because of a few highlight defensive plays and well, because he was a Cardinal. The natural (earned?) arrogance of the Yankee & Cardinal fans bleating about their specialness do not make it so in my book.

Lofton was a great player, but if a better leadoff/stolen bases man like Tim Raines(I know, not a CF) isn't in, I just don't see a path for Lofton.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:33 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Baseball HOF voters are the absolute worst...the personal vendettas are the exact reason why.

I'd offer that football HOF voters are a notch below. Take this year's HOF class for example.

DeBartolo should have been in 5-10 years ago. According to those in "the know" now, Stanfel should have been in decades ago. Dungy doesn't belong except that he's a "nice guy" that got a couple of raw deals 15-20 years ago that no one really wants to talk about & this is a make good. Kevin Greene probably should be in, especially given that Rickey Jackson & Andre Tippett finally got the nod. Which again speaks to the votes he(& they) didn't get for the better part of a decade.

Favre is a no brainer & Pace probably is as deserving as Stanfel was in the 50's. TO was superior to Harrison on the field, and if the allegations are in fact true, off as well. TO just was a more public diva who didn't blow Manning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Regular Reader wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

I'd offer that football HOF voters are a notch below. Take this year's HOF class for example.

DeBartolo should have been in 5-10 years ago. According to those in "the know" now, Stanfel should have been in decades ago. Dungy doesn't belong except that he's a "nice guy" that got a couple of raw deals 15-20 years ago that no one really wants to talk about & this is a make good. Kevin Greene probably should be in, especially given that Rickey Jackson & Andre Tippett finally got the nod. Which again speaks to the votes he(& they) didn't get for the better part of a decade.

Favre is a no brainer & Pace probably is as deserving as Stanfel was in the 50's. TO was superior to Harrison on the field, and if the allegations are in fact true, off as well. TO just was a more public diva who didn't blow Manning.

The football "Hall of Fame Panel" is stupid, too...Peter King is on it...enough said.

I agree on Harrison and DeBartolo. I can't stand Dungy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
IMU wrote:

Will agree on starting over. They shouldnt be LIFETIME voters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:06 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No lifetime voters, and select players/executives/broadcasters should have votes.