It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
By Jeff Passan
43 minutes ago
Yahoo Sports

It’s not just players who need spring training to get in shape. Managers and pitching coaches better work on their speed, because they’re about to be timed.

Starting this season, mound visits from managers and pitching coaches will be limited to 30 seconds and tracked on an in-stadium clock from the moment they exit the dugout, sources familiar with the rule change told Yahoo Sports. In addition, Major League Baseball announced an updated and clarified slide rule Thursday afternoon that attempts to cut down on catastrophic injuries at second base when runners try to break up a double play. It also made the so-called neighborhood play — in which a fielder who doesn't touch second base but gets an out because he was near the bag — reviewable by replay.

The mound-visit rule will not apply to teammates and will not come with a penalty but instead a subtle jab from umpires. Its intent is to discourage lollygagging among managers and coaches who often use plodding walks to give relief pitchers extra time to warm up. After the institution of significant pace-of-play rules last season that helped shave the average game time to 2 hours, 56 minutes, the measures MLB will announce Thursday – including cutting the between-innings clock from 2:25 to 2:05, theoretically saving six minutes – are less drastic.

The slide rule operates in a similarly logical fashion, according to sources who briefed Yahoo Sports on it. It starts by describing what a runner can do, outlining four main tenets of a legal slide into second base:

• Slide prior to reaching the base.
• Slide so you are able to and attempt to reach or touch the base.
• Slide so you are able to and attempt to stay on the base.
• Do not change your pathway to the base.

Runners who follow those four rules are allowed to take out the fielder legally, according to the rule. People at MLB and the MLB Players Association, who together negotiated the changes, expect the rule to encourage fielders to stand on the back of the second-base bag, where he’d likely be safe if the runner abides by the standards. Slides that do not will result in an automatic double play, sources said.

Making the neighborhood play reviewable stirs up a number of questions, not just about how the extra replays could eat away at pace of play but regarding safety. Middle infielders have said they rely on the neighborhood play to keep themselves safe when attempted double plays are broken up. Subjecting the neighborhood play to review is the biggest sign yet that players are willing to adapt to the new slide rules in order to keep one another safe — at least, in theory.

Injuries to Pirates infielder Jung-ho Kang and Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada forced MLB to reconsider its stance on slides into second. To mitigate the risk that it ends up complicated and convoluted like the home-plate-collision rule, MLB, the union and umpires watched videos of about 20 plays at second base with questionable slides and formed a consensus on which were legal and which weren’t. From there, they looked for consistencies among the slides, good and bad, and attempted to find a rule that would require the least amount of interpretation among umpires.

No longer are runners allowed to kick their legs out above a fielder’s knee, start their slide after the bag or roll into a fielder, according to the rules. While umpires were previously advised to call such moves illegal slides, the rules are now official, and the league hopes they will encourage runners to slide into second with greater consideration.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--mlb-to-tighten-mound-visit-rules--update-slide-rules-165116380.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:41 pm 

One other change, as just announced by MLB: The "neighborhood play" will be reviewable by replay this season. Got to have a foot on the bag.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/702902880827805697

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
All fine changes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

if MLB can figure out what a legal slide is based on video analysis and player consulations, why can't the NFLdo the same to define what a catch is?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The reviewable neighborhood play is dumb. You add a rule to make infielders "safer" and immediately take away the thing that makes them safest and leaves them on the base like sitting ducks. Allowing contact on the double play is completely needless and needed to be left in the past with Ty Cobb mutilating people. "A good hard slide" seems like some coded language for dipshit TWTW.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:53 pm 

Baseball is too confusing. Too much replay. Too many commercials. Not enough action going on and a lot of standing around. That is why I don't watch much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:00 pm 

They should just get rid of the force play entirely in baseball and switch to only peg outs.

(or Indian outs as we called them as kids).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:05 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
They should just get rid of the force play entirely in baseball and switch to only peg outs.

Rob Dibble Likes This
denisdman Likes This

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
KDdidit wrote:
The reviewable neighborhood play is dumb. You add a rule to make infielders "safer" and immediately take away the thing that makes them safest and leaves them on the base like sitting ducks. Allowing contact on the double play is completely needless and needed to be left in the past with Ty Cobb mutilating people. "A good hard slide" seems like some coded language for dipshit TWTW.

I have hated the neighborhood play for as long as I can remember.. Good riddance.

I'd like to see -

Blood testing
Can only step out of the box once per at bat
Computerized strike zone
No drop third strike
Dh in national league or lose it in AL..gotta be the same

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:01 pm 

Starting this season, mound visits from managers and pitching coaches will be limited to 30 seconds and tracked on an in-stadium clock from the moment they exit the dugout, sources familiar with the rule change told Yahoo Sports.

Gonna be funny watching these slow pokes pick up the pace this year

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:03 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Starting this season, mound visits from managers and pitching coaches will be limited to 30 seconds and tracked on an in-stadium clock from the moment they exit the dugout, sources familiar with the rule change told Yahoo Sports.

Gonna be a lot of Harvard Step Test and shoe tying by coaches and managers this year ... maybe even the occasional Gerald Ford to buy some time for the bullpen in a crucial game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:06 pm 

They should just limit the number of mound visits allowed per game by awarding "timeouts" to each team. Allow maybe 4 or 5 per game, Any other mound visit made after timeouts are exhausted must result in a pitching change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:09 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
They should just limit the number of mound visits allowed per game by awarding "timeouts" to each team. Allow maybe 4 or 5 per game, Any other mound visit made after timeouts are exhausted must result in a pitching change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:12 pm 

Yes.

If they were serious about shortening the length of the game they would limit the number of times a player or coach can approach the mound during play.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:15 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Yes.

If they were serious about shortening the length of the game they would limit the number of times a player or coach can approach the mound during play.

If they were really concerned, they'd play thru commercials and catch up the viewer DVR style each inning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:16 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Kenny is going to have yo get Coop a segway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:32 pm 

I don't understand people's need for baseball to end 15 minutes sooner than it does now.

People can't wait for baseball to start so that it can be over.

Let's just simulate the even-numbered innings on an old Commodore Amiga so we can get back to watching reruns of Cagney & Lacey on your phones sooner or whatever it is you people are doing with your precious time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Don Tiny wrote:
I don't understand people's need for baseball to end 15 minutes sooner than it does now.

Let's just simulate the even-numbered innings on an old Commodore Amiga so we can get back to watching reruns of Cagney & Lacey on your phones sooner or whatever it is you people are doing with your precious time.

I don't need the game to go faster.

Simultaneously, I don't need some fatso in a uniform stopping my game every six minutes to talk to his butt scratching pitcher.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Replay took away the "in the neighborhood" out. Ironic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Douchebag wrote:
Yes.

I'd say give one or two free visits per game...and then every subsequent visit requires a pitching change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:48 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Don Tiny wrote:

The 15 minutes people want to get rid of are the worst 15 minutes in sports. It's a better game when it's played at a livelier pace.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:52 pm 

Clocks have no place in baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:00 pm 

Yeah, I don't like having an official clock running, but a strong recommendation of 30 seconds is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:43 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Clocks have no place in baseball.

Why?

Do you have any clue how many hundreds of rule changes have been implemented?

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rulechng.shtml

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:51 am 

Your link disproves your post: there haven't been substantive changes to the game since the mound was lowered and the strike zone was tightened up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:03 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

Was just saying this in the office.

Also I respect the game of the guys who slow walk to the mound.

But I get it.

Also, Ive worked out the FF thing.

You start the inning at the beginning, after each pitch, you skip through the 14 seconds of bullshit.
So its like "Stirke 2" cut to the pitcher in his windup for the next pitch (as many of us have done on our own)

You'd catch up by the third batter at the latest.

Game takes 2:30, commercials stay, nobody misses anything.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Replay is a fucking disaster. All MLB does is cry about how long the games are while putting in shit that makes them longer. Let the game be imperfect the same way life is imperfect.

And you knew once replay was instituted the neighborhood play wasn't going to last long. Now, the first time some middle infielder gets crippled than can all wring their hands and make some radical rule change like what they did with that stupid ass "Posey Rule" that no one really understands.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Don Tiny wrote:

:cheers: When i was a kid I used to hope for extra innings so I could watch more baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:22 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Replay is a fucking disaster. All MLB does is cry about how long the games are while putting in shit that makes them longer. Let the game be imperfect the same way life is imperfect.

As Keith Olbermann once pointed out (which I'd link to if ESPN didn't disable all his youtube videos, those shitheels), baseball doesn't really want to fix game length: why would they build all these mallparks designed to separate you from your money and then want to get you in and out of them as quickly as possible?

The NHL is having a similar problem with their new challenge system: everyone talks about Needing To Do Something About Scoring, then implements a system that can only subtract goals and never add them. The Sharks, of all teams, were the ones to successfully game the challenge system: any goal-against with even a slightly dodgy zone entry or even the slightest goaltender contact gets challenged, the idea being that all the ignored offside-by-a-millimeter calls will get reviewed and have the goal washed out. If it doesn't work, your stalling iced the scoring team, and you get nine media timeouts a game anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:40 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Your link disproves your post: there haven't been substantive changes to the game since the mound was lowered and the strike zone was tightened up.

No, the link shows how much has changed since the game was created..change isn't a bad thing, there is room for improvement.