It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:45 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Other than the lowering of the mound, the game is pretty much the same as it's been since 1901.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
312player wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Your link disproves your post: there haven't been substantive changes to the game since the mound was lowered and the strike zone was tightened up.

No, the link shows how much has changed since the game was created..change isn't a bad thing, there is room for improvement.

Change isn't automatically a good thing either. God knew what he was doing when he set the bases 90 feet apart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
:cheers: When i was a kid I used to hope for extra innings so I could watch more baseball.

:D Well, by God, we've found some common ground. It's morning in America again!

And another thing ...

I'm amazed still when a given person talks about how awful a game is with a 3-1 or 4-3 run total (or the like), but then complains how long games take.

I mean ... does one not see the inherent cognitive dissonance necessary to want a quicker game (in this case via fewer runs and errors) but also want more runs (thus making the game go longer in order to score those runs)?

The reason those proverbial chicks dug the long ball is because they don't appreciate a well-played and professionally executed game of baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Do we really need 14-man pitching staffs?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Don Tiny wrote:
The reason those proverbial chicks dug the long ball is because they don't appreciate a well-played and professionally executed game of baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:11 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:13 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Other than the lowering of the mound, the game is pretty much the same as it's been since 1901.
How long did games take in 1901?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:16 pm 

I have no idea when TV Timeouts came along, but obviously that adds 2+ minutes per half inning assuming there are no injuries or pitching changes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:16 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
I'm amazed still when a given person talks about how awful a game is with a 3-1 or 4-3 run total (or the like), but then complains how long games take.

I mean ... does one not see the inherent cognitive dissonance necessary to want a quicker game (in this case via fewer runs and errors) but also want more runs (thus making the game go longer in order to score those runs)?

I don't think anyone minds a three-hour game if it's a high-event game. I mind a three-hour game that's just guys fouling off pitches and pitchers talking to their catchers like kids calling their moms at their first sleepover party.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:17 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
I have no idea when TV Timeouts came along, but obviously that adds 2+ minutes per half inning assuming there are no injuries or pitching changes.

Yeah, so maybe rules that weren't needed in 1901 may be needed today in regards to the length of the game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:17 pm 

all the goddamn pitching changes....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:19 pm 

It might interest one to note that the length of a baseball game is no longer, and on average less, than an NFL game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:20 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
It might interest one to note that the length of a baseball game is no longer, and on average less, than an NFL game.
If there were 16-20 baseball games a year that would be just fine.

Last edited by Brick on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:22 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

They'd better be, there are ten times as many of them.

I don't think a nine-inning game should take longer than three hours to play. Sorry if this makes me a bad fan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Entirely irrelevant. A person sits down to watch 'x' program for 'y' amount of time. Whether it's baseball, football, a season of Always Sunny in Philadelphia, or a rerun of Son of Svengoolie doesn't mean shit to a tree.

Or is this a case of people being forced to watch baseball games (likely after being forced to listen to B&B)?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:30 pm 

Why do you like McGow-- I mean mound conferences?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:00 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Entirely irrelevant. A person sits down to watch 'x' program for 'y' amount of time. Whether it's baseball, football, a season of Always Sunny in Philadelphia, or a rerun of Son of Svengoolie doesn't mean shit to a tree.

Or is this a case of people being forced to watch baseball games (likely after being forced to listen to B&B)?
So why did you even bring up the NFL then if it is irrelevant?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

So why did you even bring up the NFL then if it is irrelevant?

I'm not aware of any hue and cry from the masses breathlessly bemoaning how long it takes to get through a given game of football (which, despite it having a finite amount of gametime allotted, takes longer to complete) like we see with those who can't wait to slice and dice time from a given game of baseball (which, despite having no limit to how long a game can take, doesn't take quite as long to finish).

So I don't understand why baseball needs to trim the fat while football is just hunky dory with the common consumer. A person sits down to watch whichever, I don't know why top of mind would be how fast this can be done so one can move onto something else as though once they began viewing they were conscripted to finish the even in full.

As far as I'm concerned, a lot of the 'problem' isn't with the product necessarily, but is instead placed at the feet of consumer. Maybe it's like that Principal Skinner monologue about it not being possible for him to be wrong, it must in fact be the children who are wrong (though in this case, he would be right).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Don Tiny wrote:
I'm not aware of any hue and cry from the masses breathlessly bemoaning how long it takes to get through a given game of football (which, despite it having a finite amount of gametime allotted, takes longer to complete) like we see with those who can't wait to slice and dice time from a given game of baseball (which, despite having no limit to how long a game can take, doesn't take quite as long to finish).

So I don't understand why baseball needs to trim the fat while football is just hunky dory with the common consumer. A person sits down to watch whichever, I don't know why top of mind would be how fast this can be done so one can move onto something else as though once they began viewing they were conscripted to finish the even in full.

As far as I'm concerned, a lot of the 'problem' isn't with the product necessarily, but is instead placed at the feet of consumer. Maybe it's like that Principal Skinner monologue about it not being possible for him to be wrong, it must in fact be the children who are wrong (though in this case, he would be right).

You're getting to the heart of the matter in this post. Football is specifically designed for the modern TV zombie with the attention span of a gnat. "And we'll be right back after this commercial break!" You never hear anyone celebrate the commercials in any other form of entertainment. The NFL has incorporated them into the package. It's not a bug, it's a feature! It's like Tommy Hilfiger selling you a shirt for $100 with his name all over it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:34 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

For one thing, football has successfully marketed its stultifying level of downtime as a feature rather than a bug. More time for replays, high-tech TV bullshit, and the commercials you love! All this filler and noise is accepted as part of a football telecast, but an imposition on baseball.

My hope was that the problem -- and it is a problem -- would be corrected by teams zigging where the rest zag and exploiting the bloated bullshit that's ruining the game, rather than by legislating from above. Pitch like Mark Buehrle with a plane to catch, throw opposing pitchers off their game on the basepaths. Kansas City came close to this, though some of their games ran long because they did the latter so well that no one could end their rallies. It's tough for me, because I still believe in the primacy of on-base percentage and preserving your 27 outs, but the Red Sox and Yankees took the concept and reduced it to absurdity with pitchers having to talk out their existential crises every single time Derek Jeter fouled one off and stepped out of the box to do a rain dance.

EDIT: JORR and I came to the same conclusion on the bug/feature thing, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:37 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
There certainly is. I even did a parody of it at the start of this thread. Too many replays. Too much time standing around. Too many commercials. Are you saying you don't hear complaints about the time of an NFL game?
Don Tiny wrote:
Ok, so pretty much we shouldn't ever want anything improved because we are free to just not watch. Got it.
Don Tiny wrote:
I notice you aren't making a case at all that the time being trimmed is valuable in the least to the viewers or players. Your stance seems to be "It is how it is so it should be how it is because you don't have to like how it is".

I mean, argue away that the slow manager walk is something you really love and then we can get somewhere. I doubt you will be saying "That game was good, but you know what I really miss. I miss the minute and a half conversation between the pitcher and the manager where he then waddles back to the dugout. That would have made the game great".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:40 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
You're getting to the heart of the matter in this post. Football is specifically designed for the modern TV zombie with the attention span of a gnat. "And we'll be right back after this commercial break!" You never hear anyone celebrate the commercials in any other form of entertainment. The NFL has incorporated them into the package. It's not a bug, it's a feature! It's like Tommy Hilfiger selling you a shirt for $100 with his name all over it.
The commercial breaks, outside of replay, come at logical times that are needed for the game though. No one is complaining about the commercial breaks between innings here. It takes time to get people on and off the field.

There is also exactly one game where the commercials are part of the value added experience and even those are mostly bad now anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:45 pm 

I love it when Arrieta is getting shelled and Maddon comes out and they pan the crowd to find little kids with tears in their eyes and bros looking like they just saw the ghost of Steve Garvey.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:10 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:28 pm 

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-medi ... at-argues/

Jim Kaat is someone worth listening to, I feel.

Quote:
. . . On May 31, 1975, Kaat and the Sox lost a 2-0 game to Detroit that lasted an hour, 35 minutes. He routinely had games in the 1:45-1:50 range. If you blinked, you missed three innings.

So if you are looking for an expert to discuss one of baseball’s biggest problems–the maddening slow pace of play–you couldn’t find a better one than Kaat.

Make no mistake, Kaat’s passion for baseball is as high at 74 as it was at 20 when he broke in with the Washington Senators in 1959. Kaat will join Bob Costas for Game 2 of the St. Louis-Pittsburgh series Friday at 1 p.m. (ET) on MLB Network. He also is slated to work a playoff game Monday for MLB Network.

Kaat, though, thinks the game would be better if it moved quicker. He hardly is alone here. Game times have become bloated in the last 20 years. For instance, Game 3 of the 2012 World Series took three hours, 25 minutes. A slugfest, right? No, that was for a 2-0 victory for San Francisco over Detroit.

“Don’t misunderstand me,” Kaat said. “It’s not that I want to get the game over with. It’s just that 2-1 game in three hours, 15 minutes is too long. It’s not necessary.”

Television obviously is a culprit by adding more commercials. To show how much times have changed, Kaat told an amusing story of White Sox General Manager Roland Hemond asking him to take more time between innings.

“I worked so fast, a couple of times, they’d come back from commercial, and there would be one, even two outs,” said the 283-career game winner. “I didn’t have compassion for TV back then. My focus was on pitching. I said to Roland, ‘Do I have to?’ He said, ‘No.’ So I didn’t.”

Any chance of that request being turned down today? Ha. No way, not in an era where TV is king. Kaat thinks the long gaps between innings (two-and-a-half to three minutes) have an impact that carries over once play resumes.

“Players now sit in the dugout and wait because they know they’re going to get two-and-a-half minutes,” Kaat said. “It makes the whole pace, running back on to the field and then playing the game, much slower.”

TV, though, doesn’t get the entire blame here. In Game 2 of the 1965 World Series, Kaat and Minnesota took a 5-1 victory over Sandy Koufax and the Los Angeles Dodgers. The game took two hours, 13 minutes. So let’s add an additional 30 minutes for commercials in the modern telecast. That’s still a game time of two hours, 43 minutes.

Now you’ll be hard-pressed to find a post-season game under three hours. Tuesday, Pittsburgh’s 6-2 victory over Cincinnati went three hours, 14 minutes.
Kaat jokes that he blames Ken “Hawk” Harrelson for introducing the batting glove to baseball. Now every hitter has to step out of the box and adjust his glove after a pitch. He actually charted the numbing routine during a playoff game a few years ago, and it added 35 minutes to the game.

“If Mickey Mantle took a pitch, he’d keep his back foot in place and reset his front foot,” Kaat said. “He’d be ready to go. You never see that today.”

The other “little things,” as Kaat says, bog things down: Repeated catcher’s visits to the mound; more pitching changes than back in his era; and don’t get him started on theme music for individual hitters.

“Now they all wait in the on-deck circle for their theme music to begin,” Kaat said. “It’s ridiculous.”

The concern, Kaat and others say, is that long games are turning off viewers, especially in the younger demographics. This is a fast-paced society and games that run on at three hours, 30 minutes are too languid to captivate short attention spans, young and old.

I just think it's funny that a guy who broke into the major leagues with the original Washington Senators is the voice of reason saying that they're losing kids because the pace of the game is too slow. "Kids these days with their iAndroids and their WiiPhones need to appreciate the game the way I played it in the Eisenhower administration: finishing it in two hours!"