It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NHL Arenas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I am hoping to make it to an NHL game this year, just wondering if most of the arenas are the same, closest to Blackhawks, but Columbus and St. Louis are doable for me too.

Post subject: Re: NHL Arenas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:52 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Most arenas are more or less the same. The Barclays Center is weird because it's not meant for hockey so the sightlines are all fucked up, the Saddledome has weird seating bowls, Montreal has a steeper rake than anywhere else because Quebec has lax building codes for hockey rinks, and the MTS Centre up in Winnipeg is a good 2,000 seats smaller than anywhere else in the league. But arenas are arenas, for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I’ve thought about heading up to Minnesota for a game this year just take one in in a different arena and I prefer The twin cities to St. Louis. I can’t recall the saddle dome experience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:10 pm 

The last couple years started going to more sporting events, would like to add hockey, only have been to a Fort Wayne Komets game, and always interested in the arenas too.

Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
They say attending a game in Toronto is a thing.

You should be able to literally pick your seat in Detroit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
a genius wrote:
They say attending a game in Toronto is a thing.

I went to one last year and it was fine. I would't classify it as a different experience.

Montreal or Winnipeg would be cool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I've been to Columbus, St Louis, and MSG for hockey games. Just make sure it is a good match-up. I saw Rangers/Leafs in MSG, and it was fantastic. While CH does not like MSG, I thought it was great after the update.

I also enjoyed game 7 of Hawks/Blues at Scott Trade.

Columbus is a boring town, although the area around Nationwide is decent for a small city.

My wife and son saw a game in the Twin Cities last year and liked it. I think that stadium is on the St Paul side, which is terribly run down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:31 am 

Yeah, the arena is in St. Paul, but near the convention center and the Capitol, so I think there's a little bit going on directly around the arena. It's the lesser Twin City for sure, though, obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:34 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, the arena is in St. Paul, but near the convention center and the Capitol, so I think there's a little bit going on directly around the arena. It's the lesser Twin City for sure, though, obviously.

We were there over the summer. The contrast between Minneapolis and St Paul is stark.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
If you get a chance, go to Xcel Energy Center. Best building in the league and you can get a Hawks-Wild game there off of StubHub. No keep out the red garbage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
If you get a chance, go to Xcel Energy Center. Best building in the league and you can get a Hawks-Wild game there off of StubHub. No keep out the red garbage

What about the War Memorial?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Chus wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Players partake in a complimentary fashion show before the game

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:17 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Chus wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Players partake in a complimentary fashion show before the game

Ensemble number 32, entitled 'Omar Sharif', modeled by Chiefs defenseman, Billy Charlebois, who hails from, if I can read the card here, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:35 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I've been to Columbus, St Louis, and MSG for hockey games. Just make sure it is a good match-up. I saw Rangers/Leafs in MSG, and it was fantastic. While CH does not like MSG, I thought it was great after the update.

Columbus is a boring town, although the area around Nationwide is decent for a small city.

My wife and son saw a game in the Twin Cities last year and liked it. I think that stadium is on the St Paul side, which is terribly run down.

I watched a youtube video of area around Columbus arena, looked pretty neat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:42 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

People used to say the Met Center was the best arena in the league, too. Shame the North Stars didn't work out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

People used to say the Met Center was the best arena in the league, too. Shame the North Stars didn't work out.

My fantasy hockey team name is Peter North Stars.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I went to a Hawks game in Tampa a couple of years ago. Nothing fancy, but a comfortable stadium with some decent food. Main benefit was no jackets in January.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Doing the Florida swing some year is on my list but am in no rush, mainly because they always seem to be terrible those two games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 am 

reents wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I watched a youtube video of area around Columbus arena, looked pretty neat.

Yeah they a nice job around that place. It's a small, pretty run down downtown area, but it's mostly new around the arenas. Been in the State Auto Insurance box. It took me a while in my drunken state to understand the cannon thing. Then I realized the Blue Jackets were some civil war thing...seemed dumb to me. I kept thinking there was an insect that looked blue. I don't know why.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:31 pm 

They used to have a bee as their secondary logo/mascot while insisting the name referred to Union soldiers. Eventually, they gave up on the bee and went all in on the Civil War stuff.

Columbus as NHL destination was always a head-scratcher to me, especially because Nationwide spent all this money on a new arena only for Ohio State to build a virtually identical arena like one mile down the street. The situation got so bad that the county/state quietly had to bail them out a few years ago to keep them from moving. I understand wanting to get in on Ohio, but Cincinnati has nothing going on between football and baseball season save for some hit-or-miss college hoops programs. I'd rather contend with Xavier than Ohio State. But in all honesty, the expansion team should have gone to Hamilton or Milwaukee instead.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
United Center - amazing how it's a quiet as a library. Part of that is audience, but also part of it has to be design of the building.
Columbus, OH - Underrated small city. Enjoyable game.
Tampa - More like the UC but louder. Nice arena.
Nashville - Best hockey game experience I've had. downtown area kicks ass....very loud arena.
Dallas - Surprised how nice the arena was. Similar in layout to Columbus and nashville.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
wdelaney72 wrote:
United Center - amazing how it's a quiet as a library. Part of that is audience, but also part of it has to be design of the building.
Columbus, OH - Underrated small city. Enjoyable game.
Tampa - More like the UC but louder. Nice arena.
Nashville - Best hockey game experience I've had. downtown area kicks ass....very loud arena.
Dallas - Surprised how nice the arena was. Similar in layout to Columbus and nashville.

Too bad you have to spend the game surrounded by shithead Nashville fans and their babyshit yellow sweaters.

I went to a game at the Met Center when I was a kid...Hawks/North Stars...I think I was about 11 or 12, so I don't have great memories, per se, I just thought it was cool to go to a game at a different arena.

I went to the Joe about 4 years ago when the Wings didn't suck...saw Kings/Wings...great game, awesome atmosphere...probably the loudest arena I had been in since the old Stadium...