It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jersey Suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:18 pm 

Every year to the Houston Rodeo Cook-off I wear a new hockey jersey.

I’m at a loss for what to get this year. I don’t feel excited about a jersey like I have in the past. Would appreciate some input. Here is what I have already:

2019 - Ducks Selanne
2018 - North Stars Bellows
2017 - Nordiques Goulet
2016 - Caps Langway
2015 - Panthers Roberts
2014 - Sabres Lafontaine
2013 - Bolts Lacavallier
2012 - Kings Palffy

Post subject: Re: Jersey Suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The answer should always be Orr Bruins 4

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
As long as its Cheap and High Quality there is no wrong answer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hartford Whalers Gordie Howe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
sjboyd0137 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Canucks Bure

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:25 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
One Post wrote:

I’m at a loss for what to get this year. I don’t feel excited about a jersey like I have in the past. Would appreciate some input. Here is what I have already:

2019 - Ducks Selanne
2017 - Nordiques Goulet
2016 - Caps Langway
2015 - Panthers Roberts
2014 - Sabres Lafontaine
2013 - Bolts Lacavallier
2012 - Kings Palffy

First of all, that's an awesome list. I love the '91 North Stars sweater, the Nordiques, the classic royal blue Sabres, and even those early 2000s Panthers uniforms were striking.

I'm a big fan of the 92-97 navy/green/silver Whalers (so that'd be Kevin Dineen? Jeff O'Neill? Geoff Sanderson? Shanahan wore it but he bitched about being in Hfd) and actually saw one out in the wild once, made sure to give the guy a quick head nod and a Whalers, nice." I never liked the all-green on them.

The '80s Winnipeg Jets that were hand-me-downs from the Rangers were cool, you could do Hull, you could do Hawerchuk, Thomas Steen. I liked those better than the Teemu/Olczyk ones.

If you really wanted to troll people at this event, you'd get the Dallas Stars Mooterus alt from 2003, maybe the most viscerally despised sweater of all time.

Either classic from the '80s Battle of Alberta would be a great choice: Fleury, MacInnis, Nieuwendyk for those classic red and yellow Flames, take your pick on the blue and orange Oilers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:40 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

Whalers jersey is probably in pole position right now, although if I go that direction I'm probably looking at Verbeek.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Seattle Kracken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Coyotes Kachina - Roenick
Islanders Fishticks - Any
Thrashers - Kovalchuk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:52 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
One Post wrote:

2019 - Ducks Selanne
2017 - Nordiques Goulet
2016 - Caps Langway
2015 - Panthers Roberts
2014 - Sabres Lafontaine
2013 - Bolts Lacavallier
2012 - Kings Palffy

First of all, that's an awesome list. I love the '91 North Stars sweater, the Nordiques, the classic royal blue Sabres, and even those early 2000s Panthers uniforms were striking.

I'm a big fan of the 92-97 navy/green/silver Whalers (so that'd be Kevin Dineen? Jeff O'Neill? Geoff Sanderson? Shanahan wore it but he bitched about being in Hfd) and actually saw one out in the wild once, made sure to give the guy a quick head nod and a Whalers, nice." I never liked the all-green on them.

The '80s Winnipeg Jets that were hand-me-downs from the Rangers were cool, you could do Hull, you could do Hawerchuk, Thomas Steen. I liked those better than the Teemu/Olczyk ones.

If you really wanted to troll people at this event, you'd get the Dallas Stars Mooterus alt from 2003, maybe the most viscerally despised sweater of all time.

Either classic from the '80s Battle of Alberta would be a great choice: Fleury, MacInnis, Nieuwendyk for those classic red and yellow Flames, take your pick on the blue and orange Oilers.

It's funny you talk about trolling, because the first Rodeo Cook-off I wore the jersey to I did so on a lark. Trust me when I say that I'm the only guy I've ever seen in over a decade of attending the Rodeo Cook-off wearing a hockey jersey. Everyone there looks like a cowboy so when you're dressed like a jackass in a hockey jersey you really stand out. The first year I wore a jersey tons of people came up to talk to me about it, just random hockey fans talking about hockey, or specific fans of the team talking about the jersey I'm wearing.

The year I wore the Goulet some French Canadian came up to me and started talking to me in French and seemed a bit pissed off that I couldn't return fire in his native language. Needless to say it's been fun over the years and something that usually leads to some cool interactions.

The suggestions you mentioned above are all probably in the top 5 (save that Stars jersey). I've toyed with the idea of a Fleury or Nieuwendyk Flames jersey. Those Jets jerseys were just awesome from the 1980s, would probably go Hawerchuk.

One jersey that has been high on the list that I don't know if I want to go with is the Devils jerseys with the green shoulders and striping. I like those, I think people generally refer to them as the Christmas tree jerseys.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Although on some level my wife is going to put a stop to this I would think. I mean i'll have like 30 fucking hockey jerseys in the closet at some point which is not defensible to a wife. Although as a bonus the Langway (HoFer) and the Roberts are autographed. It's funny, when they get shipped the guys package them like they are going to be framed or something, and then I just tear them open and wear them immediately to an event where the prime directives are to drink as much beer and eat as much smoked meat as humanly possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:52 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
July wrote:
*sigh*

Over a dozen posts in, and not one mention of the US Women's hockey jersey. Wear it a be an example to your kids to be better than you. Make sure it's #8 or #24 so you can kick dirt in the face of all the Kobe RAPE SURVIORS out there too! I am in pain.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Buffalo Sabres - Hasek

80s blue and yellow or 90s goat head

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
One Post wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
One Post wrote:

2019 - Ducks Selanne
2017 - Nordiques Goulet
2016 - Caps Langway
2015 - Panthers Roberts
2014 - Sabres Lafontaine
2013 - Bolts Lacavallier
2012 - Kings Palffy

It's funny you talk about trolling, because the first Rodeo Cook-off I wore the jersey to I did so on a lark. Trust me when I say that I'm the only guy I've ever seen in over a decade of attending the Rodeo Cook-off wearing a hockey jersey. Everyone there looks like a cowboy so when you're dressed like a jackass in a hockey jersey you really stand out. The first year I wore a jersey tons of people came up to talk to me about it, just random hockey fans talking about hockey, or specific fans of the team talking about the jersey I'm wearing.

The year I wore the Goulet some French Canadian came up to me and started talking to me in French and seemed a bit pissed off that I couldn't return fire in his native language. Needless to say it's been fun over the years and something that usually leads to some cool interactions.

The suggestions you mentioned above are all probably in the top 5 (save that Stars jersey). I've toyed with the idea of a Fleury or Nieuwendyk Flames jersey. Those Jets jerseys were just awesome from the 1980s, would probably go Hawerchuk.

One jersey that has been high on the list that I don't know if I want to go with is the Devils jerseys with the green shoulders and striping. I like those, I think people generally refer to them as the Christmas tree jerseys.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Although on some level my wife is going to put a stop to this I would think. I mean i'll have like 30 fucking hockey jerseys in the closet at some point which is not defensible to a wife. Although as a bonus the Langway (HoFer) and the Roberts are autographed. It's funny, when they get shipped the guys package them like they are going to be framed or something, and then I just tear them open and wear them immediately to an event where the prime directives are to drink as much beer and eat as much smoked meat as humanly possible.

Fucking hell I miss 80s hockey .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:27 am 

One Post wrote:

I was going to suggest the red and green Devils but I couldn't think of any notable players they had during the Mickey Mouse Operation era. Kirk Muller and Ken Daneyko, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:28 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
One Post wrote:

I was going to suggest the red and green Devils but I couldn't think of any notable players they had during the Mickey Mouse Operation era. Kirk Muller and Ken Daneyko, I guess.

Have you seen/heard the Seattle leaks yet?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:30 am 

Yes, I've heard they might really go ahead and name the damn team the Kraken. I hope like hell that that's not true. Sockeyes isn't great either (name another NHL team namesake that is most often sold as food) but Kraken? That's not even the right ocean.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:35 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
One Post wrote:

Similar to above would probably try to go Vebeek if I went in this direction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
For some reason, the old North Stars sweater has always been a favorite of mine.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:56 pm 

I can't bring myself to wear a jersey with a name on it most of the time.

But the last one I thought about buying was an orange Flyers practice jersey.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
One Post wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Whalers jersey is probably in pole position right now, although if I go that direction I'm probably looking at Verbeek.

Ron Francis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
For some reason, the old North Stars sweater has always been a favorite of mine.

Kelly green and yellow (or "athletic gold" if you prefer) are a very striking combination. Same reason the old Oakland A's looked so cool. And while adding black to a color scheme that didn't need it is usually annoying, this time it helped the green and yellow jump out.

Great set. The N that points north to a star is an inspired logo, too. They never should have switched to black and forest green, and double-plus-never should have been allowed to move to Dallas. The league should have taken over the team like they did to save the Phoenix Coyotes. If you'd do it for Phoenix, you do it for the Twin Cities.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Regular Reader wrote:
I can't bring myself to wear a jersey with a name on it most of the time.

But the last one I thought about buying was an orange Flyers practice jersey.

I agree with this in principle. Exceptions for adults are throwbacks with an athlete from one’s youth. It has always struck me as weird and a little creepy to be an adult and wear another adult’s jersey. Leave the jersey-wearing of today’s athletes to the kids.

But to address what the OP asked, the Bure jersey would make a great choice. The Whaler Howe jersey would be great too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Go real old, Vancouver Millionaires

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Pittsburg wore these 60s/70s style throwbacks as alternates from 2008/09 to 2010/11. If you get a Miroslav Satan jersey you can have "Satan" on the back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:31 pm 

Sweden has always been a great sweater.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Curious Hair wrote:
One Post wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
pittmike wrote:
Sweden has always been a great sweater.

I don't know where this meme is from but I hate that I know it and immediately thought of it as a response.