It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4499904

PHOENIX -- Wayne Gretzky has stepped down as head coach and director of hockey operations of a Phoenix Coyotes franchise that remains dogged by its unsettled ownership situation.

Gretzky, who is also a minority owner of the team, made the announcement on his Web site Thursday. His departure had been rumored as the bankruptcy court battle between Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie and the NHL over the sale of the financially troubled team dragged on.

"This was a difficult decision that I've thought long and hard about," Gretzky said in a statement posted on his site. "We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected.

Not so Great One

In Wayne Gretzky's four seasons as coach, the Phoenix Coyotes had a .473 winning percentage, better than only the St. Louis Blues (.471) and the Los Angeles Kings (.468) in that period. A look at notable NHL head coaches who had 1,000 or more career points as players, and how they fared behind the bench:
Name Rank W-L-P
Wayne Gretzky 1st 143-161-24
Phil Esposito 10th 24-21-0
Bryan Trottier 15th 21-26-7
Denis Savard T-26th 65-66-16
Alex Delvecchio 32nd 82-131-32

"Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans, I approached General Manger Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach. Don has worked hard and explored many options. I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it's time for me to step aside."

From 2005-06 to last season, the Coyotes were 143-161-24 (.473 winning percentage) under the Hall of Fame player. Gretzky was due to make $8.5 million this season as coach.

Associate coach Ulf Samuelsson has served as interim head coach during the preseason, and the team this week hired former Calgary Flames and Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Dave King as an assistant. There was no immediate word on who will replace the 48-year-old Gretzky.

With its future ownership status unknown, the Coyotes have struggled mightily to sell tickets for the coming season, which begins next week.

Balsillie on Wednesday made the pledge to keep the team in Glendale, Ariz., this season if he wins an auction for the franchise. He does, however, plan to move the team to Hamilton, Ontario, as part of his $242.5 million bid.

"It's been impossible to sell tickets because nobody knows if it's going to be here," owner Jerry Moyes said earlier this week after yet another hearing in bankruptcy court. "So I think this will be the opening of the floodgates, and if the fans are convinced that the team needs to be here, and sponsors, this will be an opportunity for them to prove that the team should be here.

"That's what I've said all along -- my first choice has always been to leave the team here and find support to leave it here."

The Coyotes have lost more than $300 million since the team moved from Winnipeg, Manitoba, in 1996. It has lost at least $34 million in each of the past three years and was given financial assistance by the NHL last season.

Really just an ugly situation any way your look at it. The team is hemorrhaging
cash, the NHL is desperate to keep the team in the states and all fans of the Coyotes (and still Winnipeg Jets) are continuously being shat on.

Just makes me happy to not live or be a fan of a small market team where this is something else I would need to worry about

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Northside_Dan wrote:
In Wayne Gretzky's four seasons as coach, the Phoenix Coyotes had a .473 winning percentage, better than only the St. Louis Blues (.471) and the Los Angeles Kings (.468) in that period.

At least the Blues and the Kings are on the rebound. Saint Louis is going to be pretty good this year after getting butt fucked in the playoffs, and the kings have some GREAT young talent and Handzus :pale: meanwhile Phoenix is just not really getting better, they have some good pieces, but if you think that you need Aucoin you know you're in trouble...

Someone needs to take the Coyotes' organization out behind the shed and put it out of it's misery.