It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Is there any difference in penalty minutes for whoever loses a fight? I get that they stop the fight as soon as someone falls down, but is there any difference? Do you get more of a penalty for starting it?

What's the deal with goalies being like starting pitchers? Actually, I guess I should compare them more to catchers... they're always getting nights off and splitting time there, when the other main players seem to play every game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
newper wrote:
Is there any difference in penalty minutes for whoever loses a fight? I get that they stop the fight as soon as someone falls down, but is there any difference? Do you get more of a penalty for starting it?

What's the deal with goalies being like starting pitchers? Actually, I guess I should compare them more to catchers... they're always getting nights off and splitting time there, when the other main players seem to play every game.

First of all the fighting penalties both five minutes win or lose, but if someone clearly instigated the fight that team will have to be short a man for 2 minutes for instigating. As for goalies, some are more durable than others. There are goalies that start 60-70 games a year and the are
others who can only start 40-50. I pearsonally think that all goalies can go for a majority of the games, but only a few can be as dominent night to night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
I think goalies can clearly get "hot" and "cold" as there is so much more to goaltending than pure physical ability. Reaction time is obviously paramount, but so is flexibility, the ability to "read" rushes and formations, etc etc.

As such the mental faculties are not always 100%, and you can see some nights guys just clearly do not "have it".

This is the reason you sometimes see a goalie pulled after a "softie"...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
So do you think that goalies sometimes get bored if there is no action on their side? I think that it isn't that uncommon to spend 45 minutes in the neutral/opponent zone. On the other hand, if I spent 45 minutes defending and I had to play the very next day, I'd probably like a day off.

Soccer people, is this the same with soccer goalies? I honestly have no idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
I dunno if it's reality or illusion, but there are some goalies that definitely are sharper if they are getting peppered. Belfour comes to mind.... though he had some down years in there.

It seems that some guys will, as you suggest, accumulate "rust" if they are standing around alot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:48 pm 

newper wrote:

not to that extent, i don't think. i do think keepers can "lose it"; as i still believe england's former keeper paul robinson (currently with blackburn) "lost it" and hasn't really returned to the form he had at one time.

they have similar mentalities but soccer keepers tend to be more consistent, i think. it's rare that you'll see a really good keeper give up 3 or 4 goals in a game, and have a streak like giving up 2-3 a game, and then have 3 clean sheets in a row or something.

i could be wrong; i'm just going on what i've seen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Are there time outs in hockey?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Are there time outs in hockey?

1 per game

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
W_Z wrote:
newper wrote:

not to that extent, i don't think. i do think keepers can "lose it"; as i still believe england's former keeper paul robinson (currently with blackburn) "lost it" and hasn't really returned to the form he had at one time.

they have similar mentalities but soccer keepers tend to be more consistent, i think. it's rare that you'll see a really good keeper give up 3 or 4 goals in a game, and have a streak like giving up 2-3 a game, and then have 3 clean sheets in a row or something.

i could be wrong; i'm just going on what i've seen.

Paul Robinson got the mental yips...it's just sad. He had potential but I think being England's main keeper was a huge mistake to begin with and ended up messing him up...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
spanky wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
OK, next question:

The center is essentially the same as a point guard insofar as that he chases the puck wherever it goes in the opponent's zone, correct?

No. Though it sounds like you may have a need for a "stupid basketball questions thread" also.