It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/atl100203.html

Quote:
Thrashers set to trade Kovalchuk
TheFourthPeriod.com

The Atlanta Thrashers are on the verge of trading captain Ilya Kovalchuk.
Thrashers GM Don Waddell told Kovalchuk of his decision this morning after the team's practice.

"It certainly appears to be the direction the club is moving in," Thrashers GM Jay Grossman told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Ilya's disappointed. But we appreciate the fact there they've been honest about what their plans are."

While a deal is not imminent, several reports claim the Chicago Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils, Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers are among the teams interested in Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk, 26, is in the final year of his current contract and can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Journal-Constitution reports the Thrashers could deal him by Friday, before the club's next game against the Washington Capitals. The paper also claims Kovalchuk is seeking near the league maximum on a new salary over a 10-12 year deal.

Sources close to the situation have told TFP the Thrashers have presented multiple five- to seven-year offers that would make Kovalchuk the highest paid player in the NHL, but would not go beyond that term.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:02 pm 

The Atlanta-Journal Constitution listed all of the same teams as being potential destinations for Kovy except the Hawks. They were not listed at all. TSN reports today that the Kings, Bruins, and Flames are out of the running - leaving the Rangers, Devils, and Flyers as the most likely spots for him to land.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
I haven't seen much of him, but I always hear him talked about as one of the better players around. But how good is he?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:11 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
I haven't seen much of him, but I always hear him talked about as one of the better players around. But how good is he?

top 3 forward IMO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:12 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:

Awesome. IMO, top-5 forward in the league for sure, maybe even top-3. Fantastic scorer/finisher, real fast, hard shot. Hustles all the time on defense, unlike many offensive stars in the league. He reportedly turned down an 8 year, $80 million offer from ATL. He's got major market player written all over him next year (Rangers, Leafs, Wings, etc.).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Credit Pierre LeBrun

The New Jersey Devils have won the Ilya Kovalchuk sweepstakes, acquiring the superstar winger from the Atlanta Thrashers on Thursday night, a source close to the deal told ESPN.com.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i have him on my fantasy hockey team...B48.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:01 pm 
They got back Oduya a prospect and a pick. No confirmation on the latter 2 yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:59 pm 

nice, they picked up team canada's captain, comier, remember? that dbag who nearly killed that other guy in juniors last month... that's a big gamble... without him, the other players don't really overwhelm me...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:26 pm 

Johnny Oduya, Nicklas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and a first-round pick are heading to Atlanta.
confirmed by tfp.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
crosscheck wrote:
Johnny Oduya, Nicklas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and a first-round pick are heading to Atlanta.
confirmed by tfp.com

What package could the Hawks put together that would top that? Well, top that and still make this a hands down SC contender?

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:34 pm 

Drop In wrote:
crosscheck wrote:
confirmed by tfp.com

What package could the Hawks put together that would top that? Well, top that and still make this a hands down SC contender?

interesting question, I don't know, because the outside of Oduya, they really just sent 2 preospects who are works in progress, and a late first round pick...

SO I'm guess that the thrashers wanted a package that included a bunch of prospects, cause they could have gotten anything for the services of Kovy methinks... And I don't know that the hawks have the raw prospects that New jersey just sent to the thrashers. They have talented players in rockford, but they are mostly older prospects, they don't have star prospects like Cormier... I think that the hawks could have put together a more talented package together than what the thrashers got from jersey, but they wouldn't be getting any potential stars, just good players like buff or versteeg...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
crosscheck wrote:

SO I'm guess that the thrashers wanted a package that included a bunch of prospects, cause they could have gotten anything for the services of Kovy methinks... And I don't know that the hawks have the raw prospects that New jersey just sent to the thrashers. They have talented players in rockford, but they are mostly older prospects, they don't have star prospects like Cormier... I think that the hawks could have put together a more talented package together than what the thrashers got from jersey, but they wouldn't be getting any potential stars, just good players like buff or versteeg...

I agree CC. I'm very okay with the Hawks not making this move. I think we would have had to give up a bit too much in terms of guys like Sharp/Versteeg etc to get a half season rental player because we are not able to afford him. And Atlanta was right in asking a lot for him.

I understand the logic that people want to go balls out for the cup this year, but another forward isn't the deal that this team needs to pull the trigger on. I much rather move some players to free up cap space to get a combination of defensemen and prospects that will allow this to be more than a one year dream with this team.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:28 am 

Hawks now have their sights set on a defenseman, and reportedly Niedermayer from Anaheim.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
spanky wrote:
Hawks now have their sights set on a defenseman, and reportedly Niedermayer from Anaheim.

That's the guy you make a deal for.