It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lockout over
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:08 am 

NHL, union have tentative agreement

By Katie Strang

NEW YORK -- The lockout appears to finally be over.

A tentative agreement has been reached between the NHL and NHL Players' Association, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

A source told ESPNNewYork.com that the emphasis should be placed on the word "tentative." That source said there is still work to be done but there has been a verbal agreement between the two sides on the major points.

The tentative agreement includes a 10-year collective bargaining agreement with a mutual opt-out clause after eight years, contract term limits at seven years (eight years for a team to re-sign its own players) and a 2013-14 salary cap of $64.3 million, a source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.

Word of the agreement came after the two sides hashed out their remaining differences for more than 16 hours at a hotel in midtown Manhattan, spelling the end to a lockout that has persisted for almost four months and cost more than half the regular season.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

Post subject: Re: Lockout over
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:13 am 

NHL lockout: Where nobody wins after four-month charade
By Brian Stubits

Too often we fall into a trap of labeling winners and losers in such things as labor negotiations. It's akin to a fight, yes, but it's not really a competition. The whole goal of labor talks should be to strike a fair deal to move forward, not beat your opponent.

Alas, that's not the way it works. After the 2004-05 lockout, there was no getting around the fact that the NHL was the big winner. The league wrestled away a ton of what it wanted -- chiefly, a salary cap -- from the players and the fans came back after an entire season was chopped. Even if you didn't want to characterize it in terms of winners and losers, it was very hard not to see the NHL scored big.

Now, after doing the same song and dance for the past few months in the NHL until a deal was finally struck on Sunday morning just in time to save a season, the questions will arise again. Who won the lockout?

You could say the league did because it clawed back more money from the players while taking away player rights. You could argue Donald Fehr and the players did, as Puck Daddy's Ryan Lambert did, because they stopped the NHL from completely pillaging and plundering the union like a ship full of pirates. Plus, they kept a lot of their contract rights and got a nice pension package to rally around.

Or you can call them both losers. Which they are.

It might not feel like it right at this moment as the euphoria of a deal being reached is still high, but it will likely be reality; this lockout will hurt the league. The damage the NHL has done to itself in the past few months is impressive in a way -- not in a good way, but still impressive. I think the NHL has come to terms with the fact that it will have backlash from fans and that will be reflected in the revenue streams, not that that makes it any better.

Life will go on for the league and the players and they will continue to be millionaires and billionaires but that doesn't qualify as a win for either, not in my book. Ultimately it will be up to the fans to decide if anybody won at all. If they don't come back or even just take too long coming back then no way can you say anybody did anything but lose.

The league had been building in popularity and revenue in recent years. The game while certainly still not perfect, appeared to be healthy. Almost as if they all couldn't stand the building success, both sides let things go down this route and get this far.

As each day went by the pie the owners and players share was going down instead of where it should have been going; up. That momentum has been stopped faster than a Zdeno Chara slap shot with this lockout and I'm not sure how long it will take for it to come back.

The owners won some of what they wanted in these concessionary negotiations and the players held onto or gained some of what they want. In the end both sides can and probably feel like they made it out pretty well all things considered. That won't take away from the fact that it was a losing proposition for everybody from the beginning.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Glorious.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:11 am 

When do the games start up and how many are they playing in the regular season?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Finally,games start the 15th or 19th
Only play in conference

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:19 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Is Hossa's contract grandfathered into the variance clause or will it have to be restructured?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Start the playoffs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
bigfan wrote:
Start the playoffs

:lol: They should do that. Just an all-in single elimination season.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I guess the talk is of a 48 game schedule. I'm in. I miss this sport in a big way.

That being said, I think the shorter season plays well into the Hawks hands. It was nice to get time for Hossa to heal up and be ready for the game. I'm hearing he's ready.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:05 pm 

Yeah, if the Hawks can blow through 48 to 50 games without hitting their customary crapout, we could have good things in store. And if all the games are intraconference, none of those "oh my god I don't even know what a Pittsburgh Penguins is" games. Seriously, do we have no advance scouting for the East?

My only concerns are the power play, as always, and that this is still a team built to play good hockey in a league built for bad hockey. Unfortunately, the standings don't yet have a fourth column for moral victories.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
I watched a replay of Hawks/Flyers game 6 in the 2010 finals the other night and was kind of amazed by how differently the Hawks played on defense that year. So much faster and more aggressive. The "blue collar" guys really made a difference, especially when compared to the 2nd and 3rd liners they trotted out last season.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, if the Hawks can blow through 48 to 50 games without hitting their customary crapout, we could have good things in store. And if all the games are intraconference, none of those "oh my god I don't even know what a Pittsburgh Penguins is" games. Seriously, do we have no advance scouting for the East?

My only concerns are the power play, as always, and that this is still a team built to play good hockey in a league built for bad hockey. Unfortunately, the standings don't yet have a fourth column for moral victories.
Its a shame that they wont play the Rangers or Bruins.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I'm still very concerned about the Hawks goaltending. I don't really think that Crawford or Emery is very good. Crawford was (without benefit of stats here) pretty bad on penalty kills.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:28 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I watched a replay of Hawks/Flyers game 6 in the 2010 finals the other night and was kind of amazed by how differently the Hawks played on defense that year. So much faster and more aggressive. The "blue collar" guys really made a difference, especially when compared to the 2nd and 3rd liners they trotted out last season.

That's because the blue-collar guys weren't really blue-collar guys. Andrew Ladd is a low #1/high #2 left wing who was made to be a roleplayer because of fantastic depth. John Madden was one of the best shutdown centers of a generation. We were extremely fortunate to have the elite talent that we did.

Fortunately, there's a lot of talent in the pipeline. I know everyone says that, but we actually do. At worst they're in the top ten. When you consider that they're only trailing the always-replenishing Red Wings and a slew of teams that have been just plain awful at the NHL level (Panthers, Isles, Wild, Oilers), to have that much upside and a Stanley Cup is a decent place to be.

Oh and yeah I'm really concerned about our goaltending too, and I don't think we have anyone coming up, either. Would've been nice to get Josh Harding, but now he has multiple sclerosis. Crap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 pm 

God, I'm talking hockey on the CSFMB again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
badrogue17 wrote:
Its a shame that they wont play the Rangers or Bruins.

My friend, you seem to be forgetting the Stanley Cup Finals

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Telegram Sam wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Start the playoffs

:lol: They should do that. Just an all-in single elimination season.

The faster they got to the playoffs, the more people would care about the league. Also, maybe give some first round byes, so the season means a little something?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:56 pm 

A great way to make the season mean something would be straight W-L. The standings are so padded with overtime losses and shootout losses that you can't tell what's what. Everyone is glossed over into an all-purpose sixth place. If you couldn't guarantee half a win by sitting back and playing for the coin toss that is a shootout, things would be a lot better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Curious Hair wrote:
God, I'm talking hockey on the CSFMB again!

Admit it , you got wood.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:08 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
A great way to make the season mean something would be straight W-L. The standings are so padded with overtime losses and shootout losses that you can't tell what's what. Everyone is glossed over into an all-purpose sixth place. If you couldn't guarantee half a win by sitting back and playing for the coin toss that is a shootout, things would be a lot better.

I still don't get why they haven't done this. It should of been done the moment they got rid of ties. Why should a team be rewarded a point just for going into overtime? A team with a better W-L can miss out on the playoffs to a team that has more points because of this braindead structure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:19 am 

Because they have to dupe as many fanbases as possible into thinking they're "still in it." Does a 33-30-9 record mean you're playing several games below .500? Naw! With 75 points in 72 games, why, you're just a point out of eighth place, and because you're in the Massive Head Wound Division, you're two points out of third place! Great seats still available to see your Dallas Stars inaction [sic].

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
The NHL has yet to announce what it’s 2013 regular season schedule will look like, but it appears the matrix has been set for how the games will be divvied up.

It will look like this…
Four games vs. two divisional opponents (4 x 2 = 8 )
Five games vs. two divisional opponents (5 x 2 = 10 )
Three games vs. 10 conference, non-divisional opponents (3 x 10 = 30 )

…for a grand total of 48 games.

As expected, there will be no crossover play between the Eastern and Western Conferences.

This will suck for the Blackhawks. Even with the likely decline of the Red Wings and Predators from losing key defensemen the Hawks are probably in the toughest divison in the Western conference. The Northwest could possibly give the Central a run for their money if Edmonton ever decides to play well or Minnesota takes a step up.

The Atlantic division is going to be a shit show. Center Ice might be worth it just to see those teams square off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:06 am 

Accentuate the positives: four or five with the shitty Blue Jackets, three with the Stars, Flames, Ducks, Sharks, etc. So they don't get to beat up on the crappy East teams. They usually derp those games anyway (3-0 shutout loss to the awful Hurricanes)! All is not lost!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Will there be any issue getting players back from Europe like there were with NBA players that went to China? I saw that Blackhawks Kane, Bickell and Frolik headed East. Any others?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:47 pm 

Their contracts and IIHF treaties stipulate that they have to come home, and will. There's a minor flap going on right now wherein Lubomir Visnovsky is staying in Slovakia and refusing to report to Long Island, but that's not pertinent to us, and will either result in him coming home after all or being disqualified and having his contract tolled. The only trouble we'll have getting Kane home from Switzerland is dragging him out of the 16-year-old girl's bed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The only trouble we'll have getting Kane home from Switzerland is dragging him out of the 16-year-old girl's bed.

...conveniently located above the pub.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 pm 

Also, hell-o, I just found the loophole to Cap Recapture: the Blackhawks can't get penalized for Marian Hossa retiring prematurely if he just fails to report.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 pm 

You certainly have some varied reading interests. And nice find.