It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Deal was all but signed, sealed, and delivered for him to go to Boston for two P-Broons and a first and then Pittsburgh out of freaking nowhere gets the deal done.

See you in the Final.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
They will lose to Montreal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 am 

Hawks in 4.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
Hawks in 4.

Not totally a meatball declaration. Pens play in the shitty East and still have defense corp of pylons. I'm also convinced a Andre-Fleury back stopped team can not win a Cup. Their 1st Cup with him was lightning in a bottle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 am 

The West is far shittier than the East is. Their defense sucks, but Crosby, Malkin, and Iginla on one team is scary.

How do the Hawks respond to this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
My close up observations... Of course Sid is great. Malki. Has been out two weeks now with injury and has had concussion this year. Guy from Calgary is old and their defense really is a bunch of pylons. Also fleury turns into luongo ALOT. Good match up for hawks as they do not play that physical slogging game like in the west some teams do that frustrate the hawks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Well, I guess the Pens are serious on winning this season or else. They gave up quite a bit to take that shot.

I would LOVE to see the Hawks and the Pens in the Finals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 am 

pittmike wrote:
My close up observations... Of course Sid is great. Malki. Has been out two weeks now with injury and has had concussion this year. Guy from Calgary is old and their defense really is a bunch of pylons. Also fleury turns into luongo ALOT. Good match up for hawks as they do not play that physical slogging game like in the west some teams do that frustrate the hawks

Guy from Calgary IS old, but also would be the fourth in points on the Hawks roster...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Maybe so but I almost always disagree with those ideas. A leader in points on the Flames is not going to score the same way as a 3rd or 4th center on Hawks or Pens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:47 am 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Well, I guess the Pens are serious on winning this season or else. They gave up quite a bit to take that shot.

lol no they didn't. They gave up two NCAA prospects. If they were such good prospects, they'd have played junior.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:30 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

lol no they didn't. They gave up two NCAA prospects. If they were such good prospects, they'd have played junior.

If that wasn't a lot, then why didn't we get him? Also, didn't the Pens add a first-round pick to the two prospects?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
Curious Hair wrote:
Deal was all but signed, sealed, and delivered for him to go to Boston for two P-Broons and a first and then Pittsburgh out of freaking nowhere gets the deal done.

See you in the Final.

hahaha
no.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

If that wasn't a lot, then why didn't we get him? Also, didn't the Pens add a first-round pick to the two prospects?

He had a no trade clause and only LA, Boston and Pittsburgh were on his list of teams. Rumor was that the Hawks were on it but it came out after the trade that it wasn't the case. LA had no interest and was out of it right away so it came down to Boston and Pittsburgh. Boston had a deal set up yesterday and Calgary told Boston that Iginla was theirs. Even to the point where some outlets already reported that the trade was official. At the last second, Iginla told Feaster (Calgary's GM) that he wouldn't wave his NTC to play for Boston, only Pittsburgh. So that put Feaster in a bad spot that allowed Pittsburgh to get him for a 1st round draft pick and trash. The package Boston was offering was better. Calgary really got fucked in this whole thing but something is better than nothing. Yet when you look at The Morrow trade with Dallas, Dallas got Pittsburgh's #1 D prospect. Some Calgary fans are pissed at Iginla while some understand and are just pissed off at the situation as a whole.

The Hawks would of also had to of cleared 3-4 million in Cap to get Iginla on the roster this year which means either Bolland or Sharp would of had to go and I doubt Calgary would of wanted Bolland and Sharp is a better player than Iginla at this point of their careers, in my opinion. So that wouldn't of happened.

Thought I'd just give you the whole run down of the situation in case you didn't know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:48 pm 

See, I had heard the Hawks were on the list, hence my initial question.

Thank you, Gay, for the rundown.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:04 pm 

I could check capgeek and be proven wrong instantly, but I'm almost certain there's no way Iginla carries a $4MM cap hit for <25% of the season. That would require an annual hit of roughly $16MM, which is higher than the maximum value allowed (20% of the total cap).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I could check capgeek and be proven wrong instantly, but I'm almost certain there's no way Iginla carries a $4MM cap hit for <25% of the season. That would require an annual hit of roughly $16MM, which is higher than the maximum value allowed (20% of the total cap).

Iginla is a $7 million cap hit according to cap geek

By the way, Penguins have only allowed 9 goals now in 10 games. This is getting scarey...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Agree on cap hit. Hawks need another center an a goalie, not another winger. Would have liked to have him, but we have more pressing needs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
I just tried to put Crosby, Malkin, and Iginla onto the same roster in my NHL93 emulator.

Apparently there was a stack collision with the heap, and not only the program but also my laptop is no longer operable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:10 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Iginla is a $7 million cap hit according to cap geek

Right, but cap hits are calculated on a day-by-day basis. The Hawks would only be accountable for the remainder of the season; the rest has already been banked toward Calgary's cap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:24 pm 

Then why doesn't it work that way with Pittsburgh? I'm confused.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:00 am 

Maybe the shortened season is fucking up Capgeek's algorithms. I don't know. I just know the same principle is why teams can go "over the cap" after the deadline, provided that they had been correspondingly under it prior to an acquisition. Let's say for the sake of argument that the cap for the year is $64,000,000 and the season is 184 days. That means that every day, you have to be under $347,826 multiplied by days played. But the dollars you don't spend are banked over the course of the season for future acquisitions.

So let's now say we've gone through 120 days. The cap through 120 days is then $41,739,130. But let's say you've only had a payroll of about $56 million on the year. That means you've only spent $36,521,739 of what's been allocated to you, and the $5 millionish you didn't spend before can be spent going forward, so when you add it all up at the end of the year, you still come in under the total cap.

Of course, it's not real money being spent, just "cap hits." Oh, NHL!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 am 

You just blew my mind.

I had no idea the cap worked that way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 am 

@Jason1Goff: How ridiculous is your league when it's not real money being spent, just "cap hits." #iginla #nhl

:D