All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
http://www.azcentral.com/live/?event=Ph ... -deal-vote

Lots of passionate folks out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:08 am 

That's OK. :)

Now the technicality guy is going over the agreement they are passing and listing all of these things that are wrong (from a technicality point of view.) -- i.e., it says see section 2, paragraph 3 for damages, but when you go to that part of the document, there are no damages listed.

Looks like everyone is a bit tired of this hearing at this time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:13 am 

Amendment #1 - docs ready by July 8th 2013, closing August 5th 2013
Amendment #2 - accept technical modifications 5.1, 6.1, 9.13, 16.1.6 version 4 of the professional management services agreement
Amendment #3 - modify 6.1b and exhibit A of the non relocation agreement in the event of a relocation of 9m/year or portion of year - an early termination is not a relocation default, and any other default provides to the city all rights to the city at law an equity, but not the liquidation agreement which only results in a relocation (I think this means if the league folds the team?)
Amendment #4 - Add provision to arena managment agreement to modify 3.3 to state that in the event of early termination by arena manager, the arena manager will pay to the city, the accumulated losses that the city has had during the first 5 years in excess of 6.0 million.
Amendment #5 - Delete section 3.4.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:17 am 

Councilman Hugh states that he feels a risk to public safety by not funding the police or fire department by funding the Coyotes. He feels it is a big risk, locking in to a 15 year lease. He's also nervous they won't hold concerts there and that people will abandon the arena. Says fire chief tells him he will have to shut down a fire department due to constraints. My take: Hugh is a nervous nelly.

Councilman Sherwood says that it is in the deal that the arena manager must try to book events during non hockey times to add business to the arena, but concedes that there is nothing that forces them to do so. City must pay $15 million per year for the company to manage the contract. He is rebutting much of this -- mostly saying the budget issues were not involved with this, and not supported by facts. Underlying the fact that a lot of the businesses in that Westgate area will shutter doors if the hockey team leaves due to lack of traffic. My take: Sherwood is probably the most awesome of the council members.

Council member Alvarez is shaming Sherwood for sharing private information to the public, at which point the crowd laughed at her. She is being admonished by council not to share what was going on in executve session. She claims this will not be -- her issue is the termination clause. She claims they needed a termination clause. She's not in agreement with this. Alvarez wants to vote on this now, but she is put down by the mayor. My take: Alvarez hates the Coyotes. Wow she is a whiner -- she is abstaining for a further vote that doesn't involve the Coyotes.

Council member Martinez will speak though. Sounds to be on the Sherwood team... claiming things never came up in discussion as far as lease/buy back program, and he is unhappy. He's upset two earlier items were pulled from voting regarding digital signs. Mayor is upset because this has nothing to do with the voting, Martinez pissed because we are at a voting meeting and it wasn't brought up. Oh by the way, he doesn't like it if the Coyotes leave. Media not happy that he is taking way too long. He's trying to take the public attention and readdress to his own issues. Now he is reading emails. :-/ My take: Martinez votes for Coyotes but is not elected again, can't stick to a point and is not very coherent.

After about 100 minutes, Council member Chavira is asking that the ombudsman clarify that there's a possibility that holding a NHL franchise in town might include growth in Glendale, but the forecast says they don't want to include that in a future revenue stream because he needs to be cautious. He then calls up a member of the management on the line (Mr. LeBlanc) -- verifies that there is an aggressive marketing plan -- they chime in that the hockey side is moving along fine, and he is looking to improve the business side and he has a 75 page plan to improve their marketability. 2nd question -- if you fail, will you be "done?" -- his reply is yes. 3rd question - Chavira says he is a firefighter and he sees the same spirit in a firefighter that he does in Mr. LeBlanc (not really a question?) Had a great comeback line for humor. My take: Chavira is a good speaker, will vote for the Coyotes, and should be elected mayor one day.

Vice Mayor Knaack is recapping the history of Phoenix/Glendale hockey which lost a lot of money. "With 41 games a year, being on a national stage, no other tenant will bring the revenue that this team will bring." We have been through 5 years of uncertainty and tonight that will end. She loves LeBlanc and wants to have his babies, and thanks the other folks and wants to give them a beeg. Go Arizona Coyotes is her conclusion. My take: She is kind of boring, but she likes the Coyotes

Mayor Weiers is ready to call for vote -- a lot of objections as to what is being voted to. One vote as to roll call, and one vote as to the passing. Weiers now talking about what the best deals are, he turned down the initial offer, and he feels this management team will do so. He's not happy that there's not a deal for either the Coyotes or Glendale to get out of the deal. He feels they are taking all the risk, but have no way to get out of the deal or improve the deal. He's upset there are no guarantees in the deal. He admits that this vote is going to go 4-3 in favor of keeping the Coyotes. He pledges to support the deal 100% if it passes. My take: It sucks to be a mayor. He admits it is better, but not great.

Last edited by newper on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:00 am 

And it passes 4-3.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
5 more years of everyone losing a shit ton of money and hockey games in front of crowds of 8,000 people. Fuck yea!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:47 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
The one chick with nice tits that spoke was the highlight of the event, easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:19 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
The city of Glendale is trying to void the agreement with the Coyotes because the city's old attorney went to work for the Coyotes and negotiated a contract with the city. They're voting to terminate the lease tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Curious Hair wrote:
The city of Glendale is trying to void the agreement with the Coyotes because the city's old attorney went to work for the Coyotes and negotiated a contract with the city. They're voting to terminate the lease tomorrow night.

Have sort of followed this story and saw they are voting to terminate the lease. Was surprised to see that they had the right to cancel the lease, but here it is.

The agenda posted for the meeting cites a state statute that allows government entities to end a contract within three years of being signed if a person involved in negotiating the contract for the city is, in effect, an employee or agent of the other party to the contract.

In other news, the former Coyotes owner is hired by The City of Glendale to build a new building for JOBING.com which Glendale borrowed $180 Mill to build this building, which will then fund the paying down of the debt on the Glendale Arena.

Sounds like a city I know...and I can only imagine another 5 levels we dont know about exists.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:46 am 

bigfan wrote:
The agenda posted for the meeting cites a state statute that allows government entities to end a contract within three years of being signed if a person involved in negotiating the contract for the city is, in effect, an employee or agent of the other party to the contract.

I'd like to get some board lawers to chime in on what happened.

Basically, the city attorney had long been in the tank for the Coyotes, finding ways to have petitions against the subsidy thrown out on technicalities, running interference on FOIA requests, stuff like that. Then he resigned from the city, stayed on for a while as a consultant, and then found himself hired as general counsel for the Coyotes.

Everyone was, if you'll pardon the expression, howling with how blatant this conflict of interest looked, and that was two years ago. To me, it seems like fantastic arrogance on the part of the private sector.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:56 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
bigfan wrote:

I'd like to get some board lawers to chime in on what happened.

Basically, the city attorney had long been in the tank for the Coyotes, finding ways to have petitions against the subsidy thrown out on technicalities, running interference on FOIA requests, stuff like that. Then he resigned from the city, stayed on for a while as a consultant, and then found himself hired as general counsel for the Coyotes.

Everyone was, if you'll pardon the expression, howling with how blatant this conflict of interest looked, and that was two years ago. To me, it seems like fantastic arrogance on the part of the private sector.

Our lovely city claims to have some similar, 'laws"...rules....guidelines? Suggestions?

Building Commisioner gets fired for taking bribes from Big Co. A, next week he is employed at Big Company A, Co. A, still has city deals.....because 'they were in place before said situation arose" lol....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:20 am 

Here's a timeline from last July, where it appears they tried to bust the Coyotes for this but it didn't take:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /13199545/
Quote:
In February 2013, Weiers and three other council members asked Tindall to resign from the city. At the time, the mayor cited a vague need to move in a pro-business direction with the city attorney's position.

Tindall formally relinquished his duties on April 1, but retained the title of special counsel and stayed on the city's payroll for six months while he drew his full municipal salary. The arrangement was made to spare the city a lump-sum payout of Tindall's severance package.

His separation agreement required him to respond to questions by city officials about matters he previously handled for Glendale, but prohibited him from providing legal advice to city officials. He remained in contact with some council members who generally were favorable to reaching a high-dollar deal with the Coyotes.

On July 2, the council voted 4-3 to pay the Gosbee-LeBlanc group $15 million a year for 15 years to manage the arena, a critical factor for the investors to buy the Coyotes from the NHL and keep the team in Glendale.

On Aug. 20, the Coyotes owners hired Tindall as the team's general counsel. On Sept. 20, Tindall asked the city to release $1 million from an escrow account funded by a previous team owner to the Gosbee-LeBlanc group, which is known as Ice­Arizona. At that time, Tindall was on both the city's and the team's payrolls.

"After our investigation of this matter we have decided to dismiss the allegations because this is not clear and convincing evidence of an ethical violation," Perlmeter wrote in the letter to Halaby, which was obtained by The Arizona Republic.

That's not an ethical violation? Wow, Arizona.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:28 am 

Of course the issue is muddled and they are in the shit, but the money is spent the building is up and the net at this point probably does benefit the city...

the worst case scenario is you kick them out and you have an eyesore just sitting there doing nothing, except for 1 shitty play every 3 months...

Its like the Cell. Its a terrible deal for the state, we all know it, but at this point you make the best of it, even though in the case of the Sox, shutting it down might actually be better for the city and state, it would stop the annual payments to the Sox to make more play areas for fans and kids (Ya know they only watch baseball at the Cell, HARD CORE GRINDERS)...and then you have a decnt facility, lots of parking and with some modifications maybe a certain football team would acquire it? On sale of course.

I know the Sox fans would be up in arms about this thought even being floated, but its a unique situation to have an NFL team without s decent place to play in these days....unless you are the Raiders....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:36 am 

bigfan wrote:
Of course the issue is muddled and they are in the shit, but the money is spent the building is up and the net at this point probably does benefit the city...

the worst case scenario is you kick them out and you have an eyesore just sitting there doing nothing, except for 1 shitty play every 3 months...

I have to think they'd lose less money closing the place down and selling the real estate than losing $15MM a year right off the bat in "arena management fees." I would also guess that an arena-management firm working on commission rather than a flat rate wildly out of tune with the market would show a little more hustle in getting events booked. I realize that the Arizona climate means that outdoor concert venues can compete for more dates than they can up here, to say nothing of the Suns' arena in downtown Phoenix, but there's hardly anything going on at that arena besides Coyotes games.

I don't think this is going to kill the team, sadly. Even if the council terminates the lease, they'll surely just negotiate a better one, and the NHL has shown us that it will not give up the Phoenix market under any circumstances. In the last fifteen years, they've successfully kept the team from moving to Portland, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Portland again, and Seattle. They love that low revenue in Boston and Toronto.

Quebec City's new arena is gorgeous, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:55 pm 

Terminated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Hello Wisconsin!!!! Time to jump on that Bucks arena bandwagon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:02 pm 

This won't kill the Coyotes, as much as we'd like. The Suns want a new arena. The NHL will hold things up in court for a while and then the two Phoenix teams will move in together.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Curious Hair wrote:
This won't kill the Coyotes, as much as we'd like.

And on this we agree. Phoenix doesnt deserve an NHL team. Las Vegas shouldn't get a team either. I would love to see a team in Wisconsin. Wisco is the only Northern State that doesnt have a team. They deserve a team.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I don't understand how my new home state of Wisconsin can not get an NHL team. They are scratching to keep the Bucks and trying to get a new arena....how can they not do a combined package and get an NHL team? The city of Milwaukee supports the Bucks but the State of Wisconsin would support an NHL team. This is truly an if you build it they will come situation IMO.......yet it seems like its impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:14 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
These hayseeds in AZ are about to get legally wangwhipped by the NHL's real smart lawyers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:02 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Good bye?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... agreement/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I don't understand how my new home state of Wisconsin can not get an NHL team. They are scratching to keep the Bucks and trying to get a new arena....how can they not do a combined package and get an NHL team? The city of Milwaukee supports the Bucks but the State of Wisconsin would support an NHL team. This is truly an if you build it they will come situation IMO.......yet it seems like its impossible.

The Bradley Center was built for hockey but Bill Wirtz wouldn't let Milwaukee get a team. Now they're building a new arena which I understand will be a basketball-first setup (think Brooklyn, Phoenix, Indiana, Charlotte, San Antonio, etc, etc) because they don't like the hockey-first setup they have now.

As I posted in some other thread, Wisconsin is 9th in registered USA Hockey participation, the highest state without an NHL team. It's been a series of huge mistakes not to maximize hockey in Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

The Bradley Center was built for hockey but Bill Wirtz wouldn't let Milwaukee get a team. Now they're building a new arena which I understand will be a basketball-first setup (think Brooklyn, Phoenix, Indiana, Charlotte, San Antonio, etc, etc) because they don't like the hockey-first setup they have now.

As I posted in some other thread, Wisconsin is 9th in registered USA Hockey participation, the highest state without an NHL team. It's been a series of huge mistakes not to maximize hockey in Wisconsin.

I don't think Milwaukee could support two winter sports, and now the Bucks are going to be further entrenched with the new arena.

Is Madison feasible? Slightly bigger metro area than Quebec City.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:20 pm 

What? No, not at all. They couldn't co-exist with the Badgers. You can't compare the two; Quebec City would have a considerable regional broadcast territory (Quebec + Maritimes), not to mention a sizable portion of their schedule on a national francophone channel. Right off the bat, their television deal is worth more than a Wisconsin team's.

I think Milwaukee could support the Bucks and an NHL team. The Bucks are popular in and around Milwaukee but hold little sway with the rest of the state. Without the adversarial relationship between the NBA and the college game wherein most people pick the college game (GUESS WHY), an NHL team would build a statewide fanbase with ease.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
shift the money saved to funding schools....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Milwaukee - Great point on the college game competing with the Bucks. We can also factor in the Bucks are not and have not been good. The Bucks will stay, but they'll continue to be an afterthought in Milwaukee.

I think an NHL team could do well in Milwaukee. A Milwaukee team would certainly fare better than the Coyotes, Panthers, and Hurricanes. Obviously the NFL feels a bleeding team in a warmer climate has a better chance of growing the NHL. I disagree, but I don't get a vote.

This is nothing more than a pissing match between Glendale and the Coyotes. Glendale will lose, as the Coyotes and Suns will hold Phoenix or some other suburb hostage and get the arena deal they want...and they'll likely have the NHL and NBA backing them.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:14 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
I think an NHL team could do well in Milwaukee. A Milwaukee team would certainly fare better than the Coyotes, Panthers, and Hurricanes.

Precisely the problem. The NHL wants teams that don't bring in revenue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 am 

Coyotes now risk being locked out of their arena/offices if they don't post bond to the court.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
This is getting good...grab the popcorn

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.