It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2013 Predictions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
What ya got? Here's a link to new Divisions if you need a refresh.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm

X's are my division winners

East
Boston- X
Detroit
Ottawa
Penguins- X
Rangers
Islanders
Confident about these 6, then it's a big log jam.
Flyers
Maple Leafs

West
Hawks-X
Blues
Stars
Kings-X
Canucks
Sharks
Ducks
Wild

Trophy Predictions:

Art Ross: Crosby
Hart: Tavares, but could go to any of 20 guys. Obviously hardest to predict.
Norris: Duncan Keith
Calder: Seth Jones
Selke: Bergeron
Vezina: Quick
Rocket Richard: Stamkos

Finals:

Bruins over Kings

Post subject: Re: 2013 Predictions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No specific order

East

Bruins
Leafs <---
Wings
Senators
Rangers
Penguins <---
Flyers
Jackets

West

Hawks <---
Wild
Blues
Stars
Ducks
Kings
Sharks
Canucks <---

The Canucks last gasp. Will play the Hawks in Conference Finals but come up short.

Leafs finally make the Finals after 51256732 years, they're fast and tough. Penguins find a way to blow it again because that's what they do.

Hawks over the Leafs in the Finals. Hawks are still the best team on paper. They stay healthy and it's a repeat.

I'm definitely reaching on most of these predictions except for the Hawks winning it all again, but in hockey you can't just make the safe predictions because they never pan out.

EDIT: My arrows are for who makes the Conference Finals. I can't do division winner predictions or I'll sit in front of my computer all day just thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:48 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
This new alignment sucks a big bag of small dicks. 32 out of 82 games are against the East. Yes, finally, we get to see the Hurricanes, Devils, and Lightning home and away every year; my life is fucking complete. Also, the season series are odd numbers of games, so you might only see Western teams, the ones that are supposed to be emphasized in this new playoff system, just once in your own barn. We're down to three games with Vancouver, two with Detroit, but we have like five against Colorado and Nashville. This is bullshit.

Anyway, if you're going to predict the standings, you have to do it by division, because the league doesn't seed by conference anymore. Instead, it's this goofy system where the top three seeds make the playoffs, plus two wild cards, which can get sent to playing either division winner. So it's back to the old system from the '80s, except

1) it's been made unnecessarily convoluted with the wild cards and the bullshit 14/16 setup

2) what's the point of trying to rekindle these old division rivalries when the makeup of the league has been changed so drastically? That is to say, what good is a Norris Division playoff when the Red Wings are out, the Maple Leafs are out, the Stars are in Dallas, and the Predators exist? Who in this world other than Crystal Lake Hoffy is jazzed about the Avs suddenly being a division rival?

3) The divisional playoff system sucked anyway because it kept feeding the same teams to the same teams every year to the point where their existences were virtually meaningless. No matter how good the Jets got, they'd just run into the Oilers. No matter how good the Whalers and Nords got, they'd just run into the Bruins and Habs. And our Norris Division put forth some teams so shitty that they didn't even belong in the league, much less the playoffs, but they'd still advance to the second round or better because someone had to.

But alas, this is what we have for now, so here's what I predict. X for playoff teams:

X - Los Angeles
X- Phoenix - They will have no business here if you look at the construction of this team, but having practices and training camp will make them better at their bullshit.
X -Anaheim
X - San Jose
X - Vancouver
Edmonton - They'll start really slow with their injuries and never quite recover.
Calgary - This team is going to shit up the joint big-time.

X - Chicago
X - St. Louis
X - Winnipeg
Minnesota - Predicting another big regression to the mean for these guys. They're really not that good.
Nashville - Again, better than they have any right to be. Their best scorer is probably Stalberg, guys!
Colorado
Dallas

X - Ottawa - Cup winners
X - Boston
X - Montreal
X - Toronto
Detroit - laugh and laugh as the Wings bitch and bitch about not getting to play enough road games in Eastern Time and then missing the playoffs when they finally do
Tampa Bay
Florida
Buffalo

X - Pittsburgh
X - Philadelphia
X - New York
X - Washington - It'll be another Capitals Special, you know, where they dog it all year and then bother to turn it on just enough to keep some much more interesting team out. Sorry, Isles!
Long Island
New Jersey
Columbus - They overachieved last year and now have a meat grinder of a schedule. Won't end well for the other bitch-about-time-zones team.
Carolina - Another team that will utterly shit up the joint.

Art Ross: KANER
Hart: Evgeni Malkin
Norris: Erik Karlsson
Calder: Nathan Drouin
Selke: Patrice Bergeron
Vezina: Ben Bishop
Richard: Stamkos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
East
Bruins
Penguins*
Senators*
Capitals
Blue Jackets
Rangers
Maple Leafs
Islanders

West
Blackhawks*
Blues
Wilds
Kings*
Canucks
Oilers
Sharks
Stars

Art Ross: Crosby
Hart: Toews
Norris: Suter
Calder: Nichushkin
Selke: Bergeron
Vezina: Lundqvist
Rocket Richard: Ovechkin
Lady Byng: Selanne
Jennings: Blues

Finals:

Blues over Senators

Clutching and grabbing is OFFICIALLY back!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:53 am 

Oh, I suppose I should note that my Final is the Senators over the Kings, as Daniel Alfredsson goes down as the world's biggest pudwhack.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

:lol:

Did the Avs and Lightning throw throw their picks into a cauldron and create the ultimate super prospect? Jonathan Drouin got sent back to Halifax FYI.

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:56 am 

I can't buy into the Senators hype. I just don't think they're that good and that the Leafs are a notch above them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:01 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Did the Avs and Lightning throw throw their picks into a cauldron and create the ultimate super prospect? Jonathan Drouin got sent back to Halifax FYI.

:wink:

Saw that too. Case of the Monday's for CH

Hockey Gay wrote:
I can't buy into the Senators hype. I just don't think they're that good and that the Leafs are a notch above them.

They are comfortably a playoff team. Eastern Conference on paper is significantly better than the West this year. I can make a compelling argument for 5 or 6 teams to make it to SCF.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:06 am 

...Why did I think they were both named Nathan? I must have forgotten that their shared trait was both playing for Halifax, not both being Nathan.

Also, the Sens are most certainly for real. Karlsson is the best offensive defenseman in the league, Walrus is one of the best coaches in the league, Spezza and Ryan are terrific, and they have an absolutely loaded pipeline that's ready to really make an impact.

Also, can we talk about how awful the West is? It's like there's the actual NHL in the East and then this assemblage of lost souls and also the Kings and Blackhawks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:21 pm 

Hawks over Senators

Kane for President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 pm 

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2013/stor ... redictions

Scott Burnside. Picking the Coyotes as Stanley Cup champs....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:03 pm 

It's not an unreasonable pick. They overachieve, and we know that the NHL will go out of its way to help them out. They're exempt from revenue sharing rules, for example.

Biggest lol on that link is Steve Levy picking fuckin' Kirk Muller as his coach of the year. Was Steve a big Habs fan in '93 or something? Because that's the only explanation I can come up with, considering the Hurricanes are about the most rudderless operation in this league. Their whole modus operandi appears to be "I dunno, just do shit out there," and shit is exactly what they do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:13 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It's not an unreasonable pick. They overachieve, and we know that the NHL will go out of its way to help them out. They're exempt from revenue sharing rules, for example.

Biggest lol on that link is Steve Levy picking fuckin' Kirk Muller as his coach of the year. Was Steve a big Habs fan in '93 or something? Because that's the only explanation I can come up with, considering the Hurricanes are about the most rudderless operation in this league. Their whole modus operandi appears to be "I dunno, just do shit out there," and shit is exactly what they do.

I love your irrational hatred of the Hurricanes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm 

The thought of the Yotes winning the Cup just makes my fuckin skin crawl.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:59 pm 

Their best forward is Mike Ribeiro, and for all the talk of their Great Defense, after Ekman-Larsson and Yandle there's not really that much there. Yet they could still win it. Somehow they turned failed Hawks prospect Rob Klinkhammer (1 GP for the Hawks) into a serviceable bottom-six wing.