It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outdoor Games
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Has this trend worn off yet? Can barely see the players yet alone the puck.

Cant they build a rink next to the Hockey HOF and invite the final 4 from the the previous season to play in a smaller 10,000 person outdoor facility? with fans actually on the ice and they can see.

Post subject: Re: Outdoor Games
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yea, no one gives a shit. It was fine at one game a year. Most of my hockey friends didn't even know the Kings and Ducks were playing outdoors last night. I checked it out for about 5 minutes before moving on with my night.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The one last night was horrible to watch. This one looks better but NY and NJ don't really interest me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:03 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
The one last night was horrible to watch. This one looks better but NY and NJ don't really interest me.

The one last night was the best setting since Wrigley. It was horrible to watch because the Kings decided not to show up.

I love the outdoor games. I do agree they could build a platform to get better camera angles for TV.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
The league said there will be fewer next year. Probably just the Winter Classic in Washington and maybe another game. Winnipeg is supposed to get the next Heritage Classic in 2016.

My preference would be to have the Winter Classic and the All-Star Game outdoors and that's it. Combining the outdoor aspect with the choose-up-sides teams would be the best way to do the Olde Tyme Pond Hockey thing they seem to want, even though most of these guys from suburban Toronto never played on anything but professionally maintained ice growing up.

The problem with the Ducks-Kings game was that it was a 10 pm start for the East Coast, 9 for us, Saturday night, which meant no one was really able to watch it outside of Western Canada and the scattered souls who live in California but also love hockey. But there, they got their freakin' outdoor game, now leave us alone. One of the worst things about the Winter Classic is how it gives rise to annoying fanbases who are like "wah wah, major-market bias, when will Nashville get to host?" Never. Roughly about nineteen-ninety-never. Fuck yourselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:30 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The problem with the Ducks-Kings game was that it was a 10 pm start for the East Coast, 9 for us, Saturday night, which meant no one was really able to watch it outside of Western Canada and the scattered souls who live in California but also love hockey. But there, they got their freakin' outdoor game, now leave us alone. One of the worst things about the Winter Classic is how it gives rise to annoying fanbases who are like "wah wah, major-market bias, when will Nashville get to host?" Never. Roughly about nineteen-ninety-never. Fuck yourselves.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The problem with the Ducks-Kings game was that it was a 10 pm start for the East Coast, 9 for us, Saturday night, which meant no one was really able to watch it outside of Western Canada and the scattered souls who live in California but also love hockey.

There were no other sports on last night of consequence. A Saturday night is better than a weeknight.

The setting was fine. The timing was fine. I watched it. The Kings were awful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:51 pm 

Yeah, you know, as bad as the Hawks have been this month, the Kings have really been shitting up the joint. But sandbagging it in the regular season and turning it on late has kind of been their thing, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Sutter is in trouble based on fans of LA I read on the FB NHL page.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:02 pm 

Well, installing an offense that's about as creative as a pot of oatmeal got them what it got them and now here we are. When even Anaheim's offense is outdazzling you, it's time to reassess where you are.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The camera angle from last night made it look like they were playing in a hall way. The view from the seats looked terrible because of the stadium. At least today they seem to have better views from the porch. The green grass weirded me out too last night....and why were the ducks in orange? Seeing Quick jump out of net and confront that one dude was cool even though he had his teammate to blame for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:05 pm 

This game has been entertaining today. 10 goals scored so far. :shock: :lol: :drunken:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Curious Hair wrote:
My preference would be to have the Winter Classic and the All-Star Game outdoors and that's it. Combining the outdoor aspect with the choose-up-sides teams would be the best way to do the Olde Tyme Pond Hockey thing they seem to want, even though most of these guys from suburban Toronto never played on anything but professionally maintained ice growing up.

It should only be the all-star game. I have a hard time with regular season games being played outdoors. Screwy conditions that aren't normal could mess the game up or cause an injury - after all, today's game was delayed because of the sun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:47 pm 

People used to say "Hockey is taking over New Years Day" from college football because college football had devalued it by having so many after New Years bowl games.

I guess they don't really care about the coveted "I'm home and hungover and I have to go to work the next day" crowd on New Years Day either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:54 am 

I'm not understanding your post. I don't think anyone ever said they had "taken over" the day so much as just cut out a niche for themselves. It's always going to be a college football day for most people, but there's room for hockey in there as well.

If they keep doing these at baseball parks, they really need to run the rink parallel to one side of the grandstand and put up temporary seating on the other side. Putting it across third base/first base makes for terrible sightlines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:18 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I'm not understanding your post. I don't think anyone ever said they had "taken over" the day so much as just cut out a niche for themselves. It's always going to be a college football day for most people, but there's room for hockey in there as well.
Well, there was plenty of talk that New Years Day was the NHL signature non-playoff event and it was taking the spotlight away from college football. "Taking over" may not be the right phrasing but "Building a NYD brand" and now they seemingly want to make it equal to January 26th.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:23 pm 

I don't know about that. I think they just wanted to do a few things this year and this year only:

1) capitalize on heightened hockey interest in an Olympic year,
2) get New York into the outdoor game fold while working around the Rangers' unique contractual obligations,
3) make up for the lockout year by milking a few big events.

We're not going to see six outdoor games next year or maybe ever again. Everyone's enjoying their games (though we'll see about that Vancouver one), but everyone's aware that it's getting to be a bit much. It sounds like next year they're going to scale it back considerably.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: sit down
Next up, the Cell:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/25265469 ... radar.html

Quote:
But the Hawks’ game at Soldier Field is the big one for many reasons — the market, teams, star players, circumstances, sponsors, the broadcast on NBC.

It’s for those reasons that the NHL is open to hosting a game at the White Sox’ U.S. Cellular Field. It would make for a unique trifecta of outdoor games in Chicago, starting with the 2009 Winter Classic at Wrigley Field.

“We know how great of a market Chicago is and how much it contributes overall to the league’s success,” Collins said.

U.S. Cellular Field?

“Sure,” Collins said. “Look, Chicago is a great market. We’ll get through the successes of this year and we’ll be able to sit down and really figure out what the plan is going forward. But yeah, sure. Comiskey is a great park.”

Collins said there have been discussions with the Sox — NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf are “very tight,” he said — but the dialogue in 2009 at least took a backseat to Wrigley Field, with Hawks president John McDonough’s Cubs connections.

But “[U.S. Cellular Field is] a great ballpark,” Collins said. “The president likes it.”

But why stop there.

“What else?” a smiling Collins said. “Northwestern? What is it, Ryan Field? We got to hit that one. Notre Dame? There’s a whole bunch.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:10 pm 

NearWessSideHussra wrote:
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf are “very tight,” he said

Bettman almost signed the Phoenix Coyotes over to Reinsdorf for no money down pending a deal where Glendale would create a taxing district and divert the tax dollars to Reinsdorf. Tight indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Too bad jerry doesnt own the park. Mind if I take a look at that offer Jerry?

Where are these ISFA assholes? Oh yeah, they are all handpicked political kickback favorites to those who made big donations.

So essentially the public gets screwed again with this deal by paying salaries of the ultimate in "Non Essential Board Members"

If you want to tell me the Sox have 100% control over everything, whats the point of a ISFA board?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Curious Hair wrote:
Bettman almost signed the Phoenix Coyotes over to Reinsdorf for no money down pending a deal where Glendale would create a taxing district and divert the tax dollars to Reinsdorf. Tight indeed.

"I'll buy that for a dollar"
\

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:28 pm 

I think it is safe to say that college football has reestablished itself on NYD.

It may be time to move this to NYE in the early evening. Going head to head with a bunch of good bowl games with people already excited for the big 2 games that night is going to overshadow this game no matter what.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the Minnesota Wild are expected to host the Chicago Blackhawks and the Colorado Avalanche will host the Detroit Red Wings in 2016 outdoor games.

3 straight outdoor games for CHI.

Quote:
As for the stadium-series game, the NHL originally wanted the Wild to play the Dallas Stars. The Wild requested the Blackhawks. According to MacKenzie’s report, the Wild got the Blackhawks. It will be Chicago's fourth outdoor game, Minnesota's first.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:38 am 

Winnipeg was supposed to get one but the fucking CFL team stonewalled them out of it. I wonder if the Jets wanted to play the Hawks too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:39 am 

I'd watch if they actually played the game on a lake. Otherwise, keep this shit to just exhibition games.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
I'd watch if they actually played the game on a lake. Otherwise, keep this shit to just exhibition games.

In March. Adds some excitement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:44 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

In March. Adds some excitement.

Fuck that, Stanley Cup finals. I'm rooting for Phoenix.