It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:12 pm 

This came up today when I was getting lunch with my old man and uncle. My uncle is a big Bruins fan, going back to the 60s. I don't think he necessarily believes Orr is better than Gretzky but he mentioned how some people think that he was the greatest player ever. I brought up Lemieux and then my old man brought up Gordie Howe. I know I used to hear that about Super Mario when I was a kid. The argument being he'd have better numbers if he had the same guys as Gretzky/didn't have so many injuries/didn't get cancer. Is it sacrilege to even suggest this? I haven't followed the sport since the 90s so I'm not aware of the current consensus amongst hockey fans as to whom the greatest is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Orr was a special player. There had never been anything like him. You could make a good case for Howe too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Orr was a special player. There had never been anything like him. You could make a good case for Howe too.

great players, but not as good as 99

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Mario like Sid today is just a level below. I have no idea of Orr as I am too young but Mario at no point ever did I say he was close to Gretzky. He was MJ x10. If anyone tries to say anyone is greatest besides #99 punch them hard.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Zizou wrote:
This came up today when I was getting lunch with my old man and uncle. My uncle is a big Bruins fan, going back to the 60s. I don't think he necessarily believes Orr is better than Gretzky but he mentioned how some people think that he was the greatest player ever. I brought up Lemieux and then my old man brought up Gordie Howe. I know I used to hear that about Super Mario when I was a kid. The argument being he'd have better numbers if he had the same guys as Gretzky/didn't have so many injuries/didn't get cancer. Is it sacrilege to even suggest this? I haven't followed the sport since the 90s so I'm not aware of the current consensus amongst hockey fans as to whom the greatest is.

The Orr / Gretzky debate isn't apples to apples because they played different positions. That being said, Orr is the Gretzky of defensemen. No other player on defense has ever been as dominant or changed the game like Orr did at that position and its not even close. Its as open and shut a case as can be had, period. The Gretzky / Lemieux debate is an interesting one but the thing thats hard to get by is even if Gretzky never scored 1 goal in his career, he's still the fucking career points leader :lol: I guess you could make a case that Mario was as talented and yes, did have the shortened injury / cancer plagued career so its hard to say where he would've ended up numbers wise. Arguing against Gretzky being the best ever is pretty much a losing prop though.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:15 pm 

Oh please stop. Shove your Bobby Orr up all of your asses. There have been 10 better defensemen since 1980 that would make him cry like a bitch. Of course he was great as was Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe. Just shut the fuck up he doesn't belong. It is like trying to roll out the fucking Bill Walton. Good guy. Top 5 never.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
Oh please stop. Shove your Bobby Orr up all of your asses. There have been 10 better defensemen since 1980 that would make him cry like a bitch. Of course he was great as was Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe. Just shut the fuck up he doesn't belong. It is like trying to roll out the fucking Bill Walton. Good guy. Top 5 never.

This is a bad thought. Bobby Orr had far more impact on the game than Gretzky. The difference between Orr and whoever was the next best defenseman of his time was vast. A guy like Doug Harvey was a great player, but Orr was playing a different game.

Lemieux nearly averaged as many points per game as Gretzky and he scored more goals per game as have several others including Ovechkin, Bossy, and Pavel Bure.

Orr just absolutely changed the way defense was played. I have no problem with anyone who wants to say Gretzky is the greatest player. He's the best offensive player that ever played. But he didn't change the game the way Orr did.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:37 pm 

Being the player that had the most impact does not make someone the greatest of all time.

Greatest of all time is Gretzky hands down.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Being the player that had the most impact does not make someone the greatest of all time.

It's not hands down. Many guys who know more about hockey than anyone who posts on this board will tell you it's Orr or Howe. And I would say that a guy who single-handedly changes the way a sport is played certainly has a fair claim to being called the greatest. I'm not sure I'd say Gretzky was better than Jean Beliveau. No, Beliveau didn't score like Gretzky, but the game was played differently. He was a big dude who stick-handled like Patrick Kane. It's not as open and shut as you want to believe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:47 pm 

If you want to slurp Orr or Howe or Beliveau be my guest.

In the meantime, Gretzky is the greatest of all time.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Anyone who says Howe is an idiot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:48 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It's not hands down. Many guys who know more about hockey than anyone who posts on this board will tell you it's Orr or Howe. And I would say that a guy who single-handedly changes the way a sport is played certainly has a fair claim to being called the greatest. I'm not sure I'd say Gretzky was better than Jean Beliveau. No, Beliveau didn't score like Gretzky, but the game was played differently. He was a big dude who stick-handled like Patrick Kane. It's not as open and shut as you want to believe.

Ok Jorr just stop. No one is disrespecting Orr. Just don't even bring that crap here. If you only take Gretzky's assists and not even goals he would be the best. Stick to baseball.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:51 pm 

BTW the title of this thread is just a fucking troll stupid crap thing.... Orr or Lemieux. Lol Lemieux is behind Roy and Brodeuer. Stupid idiots don't give goalies respect.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:55 pm 

pittmike wrote:

Mike, stick to girlfriends. I don't know how much you've had to drink tonight but thats one of the worst thoughts ever posted on the board. Sure Gretzky's on top. Orr is right behind him and ahead of anyone else.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:58 pm 

pittmike wrote:
BTW the title of this thread is just a fucking troll stupid crap thing.... Orr or Lemieux. Lol Lemieux is behind Roy and Brodeuer. Stupid idiots don't give goalies respect.

Lemieux behind Roy and Brodeuer? :shock:

You should have quit while you were ahead.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Hockey Gay wrote:
Anyone who says Howe is an idiot

Anyone who dismisses Howe out of hand doesn't know as much about the game as he thinks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:01 am 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Lemieux behind Roy and Brodeuer? :shock:

You should have quit while you were ahead.

I don't think you can really put goalies in the conversation. They have to be judged on their own.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:08 am 

To JORR's point , Gretzky didn't necessarily change the way centers played hockey. There were always high scoring centers, he just did it better than any else else. Orr literally changed the way a defenseman plays the game, and controlled games from the fucking red line to red line. No other player has ever done that. Not even close.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:11 am 

Ok so I exaggerated a bit... But you dismiss goalies out of hand? I am taking advice and going to bed so I agree Orr was the first offensive defensman... But being the first does not make you the best.

Hockey changed in the 80's by a huge margin. Paul Coffey would make Orr look like a rube.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:16 am 

pittmike wrote:
Ok so I exaggerated a bit... But you dismiss goalies out of hand? I am taking advice and going to bed so I agree Orr was the first offensive defensman... But being the first does not make you the best.

Hockey changed in the 80's by a huge margin. Paul Coffey would make Orr look like a rube.

Yeah Mike it changed by a wide margin and Coffey still didn't sniff Orr's numbers. Orr did everything better than Coffey. Its a joke you're even comparing them.
Edit: Amended for accuracy. In their respective highest scoring single season, Orr beats Coffey by 1 point. Partial point to Mike. Orr still did everything better than Paul Coffey.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Fuck Gretzky. Cherry picking soft little bitch.

Give me Howe, Super Mario, or Maurice Richard over him any day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:30 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Just like there is no debate who is the greatest NBA Basketball player ever, there is no debate who is the greatest NHL player ever. 99.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:37 am 

1) Gretzky
2) Mario
3) Crosby
4) Lidstrom
5) Hasek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:42 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
1) Gretzky
2) Mario
3) Crosby
4) Lidstrom
5) Hasek

:lol:

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:46 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Crosby?

Just as soft as Gretzky.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:49 am 

I go by how players in the past couldn't compete in today's game. Orr skated by everyone in a time no one else knew how to skate. Gretzky took advantage of an era where the only requirement to being a dman was having a pulse. Plus the goalies sucked then too. Still, what him and Mario did can't be argued.

If Crosby played in that era he'd have 300 points a season. Probably the most gifted hockey player of all time.

Lidstrom is the greatest dman to ever live, hands down. Perfect player.

Hasek was incredible. He pretty much won the Gold for the Czechs by himself...as a goalie.

Honorable mention to Sakic and Jagr.

I don't mind if someone thinks Orr is the best though. That's someone's opinion and it's not a bad one. There's so many great players, everyone's top 5 will look different. Gordie Howe being the best just seems silly to me though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:00 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
I go by how players in the past couldn't compete in today's game. Orr skated by everyone in a time no one else knew how to skate. Gretzky took advantage of an era where the only requirement to being a dman was having a pulse. Plus the goalies sucked then too. Still, what him and Mario did can't be argued.

If Crosby played in that era he'd have 300 points a season. Probably the most gifted hockey player of all time.

Lidstrom is the greatest dman to ever live, hands down. Perfect player.

Hasek was incredible. He pretty much won the Gold for the Czechs by himself...as a goalie.

Honorable mention to Sakic and Jagr.

I don't mind if someone thinks Orr is the best though. That's someone's opinion and it's not a bad one. There's so many great players, everyone's top 5 will look different. Gordie Howe being the best just seems silly to me though.

You actually said that Crosby, Lidstrom & Hasek are the 3rd, 4th, & 5th best Hockey players of all time.
You also said that Crosby would have 300 points a season if he played back in the day.
You deserve a 4 minute major for bad hockey thoughts. Really bad. Really really bad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:28 am 

How is the most gifted hockey player, the best goalie and arguably the best all around defenseman in my top 5 hockey players of all time a bad thought?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:15 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
How is the most gifted hockey player, the best goalie and arguably the best all around defenseman in my top 5 hockey players of all time a bad thought?

Because neither of the 3 are what you said they are. Hasek the best Goalie? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:48 am 

Ummmm, the guy won 6 Vezinas on less than great Sabres teams and even lead one of those teams to the Finals. He was a wall.

Lidstrom won 7 Norris trophies. Pretty much impossible to beat 1 on 1, always made the right play. An excellent PP QB who could put his shot wherever he wanted. He was pretty much perfect.

Crosby is just the most gifted player I've ever seen. I'm not old enough to see all the games of Mario and Gretzky in their prime but if you let Crosby play in that generation of goalies and defenseman that they played against, he'd of put up similar to even better numbers. It's a different game now. Mario and Gretzky would have nowhere near the numbers playing vs the competition that is around now. Goalies are just so much better that it's not even fair. Defenseman are so much better as well. Also, pretty much everyone plays a two way game now where as back then there was no real emphasis on backchecking as a winger.

You're either trolling me or you don't know the game of hockey that well if you keep thinking Lidstrom and Hasek in a top 5 of all time is a joke.