It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Babcock?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Hockey peeps help!

Some say he is the best coach in the NHL?

Is it just a salary dispute now between him and detroit? and he is essentially a FA?

and if he is that good, why not any offers?

and....are the Hawks really considering him?

Post subject: Re: Babcock?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Rozner says they should. Apparently he is going to switch, but who knows where he'll end up. It's nice to be talking about a different kind of coc.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:51 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:

Many do, but if you hate the way Quenneville fucks with lines and falls in love with old plugs, you probably won't like a guy who once boat-anchored Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg with the remnants of Todd Bertuzzi. Did you know Bertuzzi cuts the skin between his toes and puts snuff on the cuts? This isn't germane to anything, but is that gross or what?

Quote:
Is it just a salary dispute now between him and detroit? and he is essentially a FA?

The read I've gotten is that Babcock and Kenny Holland have kind of reached the end of their relationship, with Babcock wanting more input on personnel (if not a shared coach/GM duty outright), which the Ilitches aren't gonna do. His contract expires on June 30th, so he's still under contract with Detroit, but they're letting him talk to other teams who want to get a jump on negotiations. However, the NHL has a new rule that teams who hire other teams' executives must send back compensation in the form of draft picks even if it's a promotion -- a rule that was enacted because Holland himself wouldn't stop bitching about everyone hiring away his lieutenants.

Quote:

There have been offers, notably from Buffalo and Toronto (Edmonton was a longshot but they seem to be casting their lot with erstwhile Babcock assistant Todd McLellan) but they've been done through Dan Bernstein's Back Channels™ because of the aforementioned compensation issues.

Quote:

Quenneville is signed through 2016 and eight wins away from a third Stanley Cup, so I'm guessing no, unless Quenneville retires after a life spent in hockey, which I broached the other day but had shot down.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
bigfan wrote:
Hockey peeps help!

think bill parcells

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 am 

Todd McLellan to the Oilers is now official, so for Babcock it's pretty much down to Toronto, Buffalo, or staying in Detroit.

Good move for the Oilers. McLellan did the best he could under a general manager who can't draft/develop for shit.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Quote:
Although the Wings hold exclusive negotiating rights on Babcock through June 30, both he and Holland hope to resolve the issue much sooner. But first, Babcock said, he needs to speak to his boss.

"Everyone thinks Ken Holland is my boss, but actually it's my wife," Babcock said, adding that he spoke with her about it for the first time on Thursday.

"That conversation didn't go very well," he said. "It didn't last that long."
Why not?

"It got heated up pretty quick," he said.

So where does his wife stand on the issue?

"You'd have to bring her down here and ask her that yourself," he said to a throng of about 35 media people on hand for the annual locker-cleanout day.

Babcock's wife likes Detroit and wants to stay there, is the informal report. I think she likes being Mrs Red Wing in that relatively small ( celeb-wise ) market. So that'd give Buffalo an edge over Toronto or Chicago.

Pretty good break down from the Toronto Sun from a few weeks ago (with a pic of Babcock and his wifey):

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/01/mi ... ture-plans

Not the first time Babcock has bowed to his wife publicly:

Quote:
Of course not everybody in Babcock’s life was apparently OK with the comment. The coach’s wife sent him an email telling him that under no circumstance should he talk about childbirth without consulting her first.
“I got an email from my wife, said I’m not allowed to say the things I said yesterday about giving birth so I apologize in advance,” Babcock said. “I didn’t know guys were that sensitive.”

The comment his wife dressed-down Babcock over?

Quote:
It was a hot topic on Detroit radio: Should Wings defenseman Nik Kronwall play in tonight’s game 4 while his girlfriend is in labor with their first child?
As you might imagine, the debate got pretty heated as some felt the father being there for the birth is much more important than playing in a game — while others believe the exact opposite. Wings head coach Mike Babcock was asked on Wednesday if Kronwall would play and delivered one of the more humorous responses I have heard in quite some time.
“Why wouldn’t you? Babcock said. “They’re not giving birth.”

Audio at this link:
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/04/24/ ... h-response

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:05 pm 

I don't know how nice Buffalo's best suburbs are but I'm guessing they fall well short of Bloomfield Hills and the Grosse Pointes or wherever they live.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Babcocks live in the area between Detroit and Ann Arbor, Novi. Their 3 kids all went to Detroit Catholic Central (which isn't in Detroit, but in suburban Novi). Oldest, Alexandra, just graduated from Univ Michigan. Mike Jr, middle child, plays junior hockey and will be attending/playing for Merrimack out near Boston in the Fall. Their youngest, Taylor, graduated from high school this spring and is fucking off to the west coast, University of Portland. Taylor prolly got tired of hanging around punch-face Babcock, her uber-hockey mom and her over-achieving siblings.

So if they are gonna leave Detroit, not a bad time to do it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:20 pm 

$50MM over eight years with Toronto. Reunited with Shanahan (even though I don't think Babcock coached Shanahan more than a year).

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:
$50MM over eight years with Toronto. Reunited with Shanahan (even though I don't think Babcock coached Shanahan more than a year).

Huh. Hey, why not? I take it he's gonna get some personnel say-so.

So, who takes over the Wing?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:30 pm 

Presumably Jeff Blashill, who has been overstaying his welcome in Grand Rapids almost as much as the players he coaches.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:08 pm 

Remember that Toronto also fired their GM, but with the money and term they gave Babcock, you get the feeling that he'll have significant input on the personnel side of things. I could see a situation like Colorado where Patrick Roy is technically Joe Sakic's boss, if not de jure, at least de facto: they'll have a general manager in name whose job is to do what Babcock wants him to do. I think this was how Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli worked.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Paying a coach $6+ mil, and they are still in tank mode. Still have to clear the decks of Fatboy Kessell and Sissy Phaneuf.