It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gone Draftin'
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:03 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hawks are pretty much sitting this one out what with having traded their top picks away, but maybe we'll get one back for Sharp tonight? I dunno. Here's a thread in case.

Hawks picks:
30 to Phoenix for Vermette
54 from NHL for not signing Kevin Hayes, the guy who fell down a flight of stairs and didn't win a Stanley Cup
61 to Philadelphia for Timonen
161 from Los Angeles for Carcillo

Post subject: Re: Gone Draftin'
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
GRAHAM KNOTT L CAN 6' 3" 190 OHL NIAGARA

I know nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Don Cherry wrote:
Good ol' Canadian boy! From Torunna area so you know he'll have that grit and toughness unlike those 10-ply Russians!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Now I'm starting to believe that the Sabres might just be building something, what with the addition of O'Reilly, and Eichel who looks like a cant miss prospect...then again there have been many cant miss prospects who were misses.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:33 am 

Scorehead wrote:
Now I'm starting to believe that the Sabres might just be building something, what with the addition of O'Reilly, and Eichel who looks like a cant miss prospect...then again there have mant many cant miss prospects who were misses.

Sabres will make the playoffs next year and the Oilers will finish with a record of 18-55-9 and Mcdavid scores 24 points. Hilarity ensues.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Niemi to Dallas for a seventh; welcome back to the bench.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:49 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Now I'm starting to believe that the Sabres might just be building something, what with the addition of O'Reilly, and Eichel who looks like a cant miss prospect...then again there have mant many cant miss prospects who were misses.

Now you're believing it? They've been stockpiling assets for two years to get to this weekend. This was always going to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:43 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Scorehead wrote:
then again there have been many cant miss prospects who were misses.

semantically speaking, wouldn't they NOT be "can't miss" prospects then? obviously i get what you're saying about them said to be can't miss prospects who thusly missed, but at that point don't we just chalk it up to hyperbole by the "draft experts" to get you into their world of bullshit and re/define them as never truly being a "can't miss" prospect?

when i think of recent/ish "can't miss" prospects i think of names like lebron and sidney crosby. hell now we've got babe bryant, babe schwarber, and maybe even good ol carlos correa down in houston if he counts.... but outside of lebron and sid the kid i can't say that i've personally really felt that guys are 100% "can't miss" unless they're [THEIR-SPORT]-jesus and the beyond obvious #1 pick and all that.

so yeah, who else would you say is a "can't miss" prospect out of my lebron/sid-crosby offerings? ESPN is in the business of getting you to watch these drafts so they're going to say every year has a bunch of can't miss prospects, but really there's only a few every decade or so, if even that.... and that's spanning the big 4 sports. i'd love to see a "can't miss" MLS prospect, altho by that point they'd get that label they'd prolly be in a european club's system.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:31 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
i'd love to see a "can't miss" MLS prospect, altho by that point they'd get that label they'd prolly be in a european club's system.

Precisely why MLS will always be kinda bullshit, even as interest in soccer keeps rising here.

Anyway, this was hyped as a particularly strong draft, supposed to be the strongest since 2003 (Seabrook, Vanek, Getzlaf, Perry, Carter, Mike Richards, E. Staal, Parise, Suter, Howard, Crawford, et al), especially at the top, where Jack Eichel would have been a first overall most years. Just with first overall picks, there have been some guys who have fallen a little short of can't-miss. Nathan MacKinnon is certainly a top-six player but hasn't quite felt like a franchise player after his sophomore year. Nail Yakupov has languished in Edmonton and could probably use a trade.

Anyway, I don't know a thing about anyone the Hawks drafted, but I guess it's good that Stan finally drafted a guy from the top junior league in the world again instead of fucking around outsmarting himself with USHL guys or Minnesota HS kids. Yeah, still bitter about passing on my guy Ho-Sang to pick a college-bound kid.