It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegas Arena
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I meant to take a photo as we drove by, but too many people in the cab...so here is the website...

They might not have a team YET....but I think this should tell you, they are kind of Serious.

http://www.arenalasvegas.com/about/view-construction.aspx

Post subject: Re: Vegas Arena
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:55 pm 

Its right next to the Aria and Monte Carlo, FYI.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
are there odds on which NBA/NHL teams end up there?

It could and likely will be used by NHL/NBA owners the way NFL owners used LA for years: as an implied threat to move to if the local populace didn't tro enough fish at dere feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:48 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Las Vegas expansion team for 2016-17, unfortunately. The NHL's never had a bad idea they've been talked out of. The real question is where's the arena for the Seattle expansion team? Doesn't exist yet!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Just read a sale is in works for a billionaire to buy coyotes and move to Vegas

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:07 pm 

I'll believe it when I see it. The NHL has blocked at least four relocations of this franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:17 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
It is semi-ridiculous that Vegas doesn't have a major sports franchise. By MSA population, they rank #30... all 29 above them have at least one major sports franchise. Of the 19 below them, 12 have at least one major sports franchise. This whole worrying about corruption and gambling may have made sense in the 1940s, but in 2010s, anybody who wants to corrupt a team or player doesn't need them to be based out of Vegas to pull it off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:31 am 

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. It's a transient/transplant population with a highly competitive entertainment marketplace and a large segment of the workforce engaged in said marketplace. I think the landscape is still dotted with foreclosed real estate, and if it's not anymore, it's because Albertans bought second homes, and they're not really going to support a team. What's ridiculous is the idea that every medium-sized metro in the U.S. from Columbus to Oklahoma City needs a professional sports team, subsidized by local taxpayers and by teams in big cities. Doubly ridiculous is that Las Vegas would be gifted an NHL team, of all leagues, the one most reliant on locally entrenched fans and local revenue. If they need a team, give them an NBA team or something. I'm tired of the NHL dicking around in warm-weather cities of infinite sprawl while they tell Canada, New England, and the Midwest to go fuck themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:53 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't think it's ridiculous at all. It's a transient/transplant population with a highly competitive entertainment marketplace and a large segment of the workforce engaged in said marketplace. I think the landscape is still dotted with foreclosed real estate, and if it's not anymore, it's because Albertans bought second homes, and they're not really going to support a team. What's ridiculous is the idea that every medium-sized metro in the U.S. from Columbus to Oklahoma City needs a professional sports team, subsidized by local taxpayers and by teams in big cities. Doubly ridiculous is that Las Vegas would be gifted an NHL team, of all leagues, the one most reliant on locally entrenched fans and local revenue. If they need a team, give them an NBA team or something. I'm tired of the NHL dicking around in warm-weather cities of infinite sprawl while they tell Canada, New England, and the Midwest to go fuck themselves.

It is ridiculous because Vegas is a tourist destination -- if you had an NFL team in Vegas, you could easily sell 30k+ tickets to the visiting team week in and week out. For NHL and NBA, maybe it is a little bit more difficult, but you have less seating anyway. Say the Bulls were playing the Zephyrs on a Thursday night -- I could easily see a group of guys going out Thursday AM, watching the game that night, and then staying for the weekend. You're not getting that with Columbus or OKC. I don't see local fandom as a sustainable model of income for these teams, given the continuous rise in prices and the way that technology has caught or surpassed the live in person experience. You'll always have some fan base of personal and corporate accounts driving your income, but a state-of-the-art facility in a tourist destination is going to make money no matter what. For your specific complaints about hockey, the ability to generate money in a city like Las Vegas is much higher than any random Canadian city. I understand that emotionally, one may want teams to be in the areas with the most fans, but from a league perspective, they want teams in the areas where they will make the most money.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:56 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
It is simply astounding that Bettman & the NHL havent yet learned their lesson regarding expansion in the south.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:59 am 

newper wrote:
For your specific complaints about hockey, the ability to generate money in a city like Las Vegas is much higher than any random Canadian city.

o rly? The Canadiens make $68MM a year on French-language television rights alone. The Coyotes reportedly bring in about $80MM total.

In case Montreal isn't considered random enough, Edmonton brings in an estimated $119MM a year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:25 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
Las Vegas expansion team for 2016-17, unfortunately. The NHL's never had a bad idea they've been talked out of. The real question is where's the arena for the Seattle expansion team? Doesn't exist yet!

did they demolish the key arena or wherever the sonics played their basketball? i am of the mindset that every NBA stadium can be a perfectly cromulent NHL stadium because "sight lines" are for morons who haven't listened to enough danny beerstain to know that live games are for losers and ne'er-do-wells who either neglect or don't have families at home..... especially on school nights! for shame*!

* = unless you're one of the "good monied people" professions who doesn't sit in the upper deck with the riff-raff, cuz when you're a doctor or a lawyer or an architect or some profession that allows you enough ample disposable inxcome to sit in the good seats of an arena then you're clearly validated enough to be a REALLY. SMART. PERSON. who knows how to raise kids cuz, duh, god doesn't give money to idiots who don't deserve it. and when those anomalies happen go look up "the curse of lottery winners" or whatever to find out what happens when you give $$$ to people who have no business having a decent amount of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:42 am 

KeyArena is still standing. The deal there is that the old Supersonics owner had it renovated so that it couldn't accommodate the NHL, as you see here:

What's even better is that he applied for an NHL expansion team in the '90s, then got to the meeting with the league and said he didn't want a team anymore -- the whole maneuver was just to keep anyone else from getting a team to compete with the Sonics. Now they can't host the NHL and the Sonics left anyway. Also, he's dead.

Arenas that are built to be NBA-first (Charlotte, San Antonio, Indiana, Utah, Brooklyn, but not Milwaukee) can host hockey (and all but Utah do), but not without knocking out a whole end of seating. This makes them okay for the AHL but not ideal for the NHL. The Islanders are doing it anyway because they're getting paid an absurd amount of money to play in Brooklyn for reasons I still don't understand. On that note, I disagree fully that any arena is fine for hockey. You can't market your sport as the best in-person event and then make it suck to watch the event in person. Well, I guess you can when you get paid 25 mildo a year to be a tenant.

There's talk of building an arena next door to Safeco Field and the place where the Seahawks play, or building one down by the Sea-Tac airport, orrrr building one across the water in Bellevue, the Naperville of Seattle, but there aren't any shovels in the ground for any of the three, nor do there seem to be any plans more concrete than "this would be cool." There's a love triangle of the NHL wanting Seattle, Seattle wanting the NBA, and no one wanting to pay for anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:29 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
What's even better is that he applied for an NHL expansion team in the '90s, then got to the meeting with the league and said he didn't want a team anymore -- the whole maneuver was just to keep anyone else from getting a team to compete with the Sonics. Now they can't host the NHL and the Sonics left anyway. Also, he's dead.

i think the only thing left that could possibly make that any worse would be "and his 13 year old grandson was caught jerking off to pictures of caitlyn jenner..... he didn't know"

....NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH "THE NEW NORMAL" of course =D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:59 am 

newper wrote:
It is semi-ridiculous that Vegas doesn't have a major sports franchise. By MSA population, they rank #30... all 29 above them have at least one major sports franchise. Of the 19 below them, 12 have at least one major sports franchise. This whole worrying about corruption and gambling may have made sense in the 1940s, but in 2010s, anybody who wants to corrupt a team or player doesn't need them to be based out of Vegas to pull it off.

Would argue being in Vegas makes it harder as you might be seen at some point and time with someone you sholdnt be hanging with...AKA Billy Walters.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
NHL owners split the expansion fee amongst themselves. They will put a team anywhere, as long as someone ponies up the $500 mil plus expansion fee.

I think Vegas can handle that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:33 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
NHL owners split the expansion fee amongst themselves. They will put a team anywhere, as long as someone ponies up the $500 mil plus expansion fee.

For example, Columbus, even though Ohio State already had an arena and hockey team of its own and the government had to bail out the NHL team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:28 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

For example, Columbus, even though Ohio State already had an arena and hockey team of its own and the government had to bail out the NHL team.

Or Atlanta, or KC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:37 pm 

Atlanta was a good idea at the time: they had Ted Turner's money behind them. The AOLTimeWarner merger hurt, and the sale to Atlanta Spirit hurt the most, because they were only in it for the basketball and couldn't wait to kick the hockey team out of their arena -- which, by the way, I've read has fallen into such disrepair under Atlanta Spirit ownership that the new ATLHawks owner might move the team out to where the Braves are moving.

Of course, this is all discounting the fact that Atlanta doesn't give a fuck about pro sports and hockey will demographically be the hardest sell of all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
sinicalypse wrote:
i think the only thing left that could possibly make that any worse would be "and his 13 year old grandson was caught jerking off to pictures of caitlyn jenner..... he didn't know"

I'm sure we have at least a few fans of the original MILF Hunter here. There was an episode were Shawn absolutely fucked a post-op tranny. I mean, this "chick"'s voice was deeper than Barry White's. And she was tall. Granted a lot of the female talent looked tall next to little Shawn Rees. Anyway, the episode was quickly removed. I figured Shawn may have been taking some heat down in the bars of Fort Lauderdale for nailing a tranny on video.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Scorehead wrote:
It is simply astounding that Bettman & the NHL havent yet learned their lesson regarding expansion in the south.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:31 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:32 pm 

Good organizations will have fan followings anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:41 pm 

Every team can't be good every year. The NHL needs to be in big cities and northern cities. You can't trifle with Raleigh and Nashville and Las Vegas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:04 pm 

Las Vegas has a metro population of 2 million.

Add to that the tourists, and you're doing just fine.

Don't compare Las Vegas to Raleigh.

You strike me as one that doesn't travel much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:06 pm 

If Las Vegas were a great idea, a league smarter than the NHL would have done it already. Enjoy fitting a Hawks-Aces game into your next bro holiday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:18 pm 

Quote:
NEW YORK – The National Hockey League today released the following update relative to the NHL expansion application process:

"As previously announced, NHL expansion applications were made available to all potentially interested applicants on July 6. Since that date, we have received requests from, and responded by sending applications to, 16 separate groups/individuals.

"The deadline for filing an application and proceeding in the NHL expansion process was last night. We can confirm that we have received two applications: one from Bill Foley for a franchise in Las Vegas, Nevada, and one from Quebecor for a franchise in Quebec City, Quebec.

"Our purpose, in initiating the expansion process in the manner we did, was not only to explore the possibility of admitting new members to the NHL but also, at the outset, to set realistic guideposts to distinguish between bona fide expressions of interest (i.e., those which have at least substantial ownership capabilities and an arena or the realistic possibility of an arena) from those indications of potential interest which were, at best, merely hopes or aspirations. Apparently, only Mr. Foley and Quebecor have the confidence in their ability to secure an arena and suitable ownership capability to move forward with this process.

"We now intend to focus exclusively on the two expansion applications that have been submitted in accordance with the previously announced process. The process we have outlined for qualified applicants includes at least two more stages of documentation submission. We will provide no further updates until there is something substantive to announce."

Look at the spite and desperation in the third paragraph. "Well, apparently SOME people just don't take us, the NHL, seriously enough to give us two million dollars for nothing! That's fine! We never wanted them anyway! (Yes we did.)"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:41 pm 

If they let a team move to Vegas, they wouldn't get the expansion fee.

$500 mil divided by 30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:09 pm 

I have not looked into the design of the place, but you need a ton of luxury seating. Kinda like the Harris Club at the UC. Doesnt need to be a full sky box, you can sell luxury seats for a premium with drink service etc.

Maybe a massage girl and a Blackjack table wouldnt hurt...but...