It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:56 am 

but it seems like the Blackhawks set themselves up for dominance in the next 5-10 years with the moves they made this off season

It's like a succession plan from the Kane-Toews era is already in place

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This team went from a team that was retooling this season to Cup contenders yet again in the span of about three weeks. I know they're hot right now but calling up some guys from the AHL who look like Real. Ass. Hockey. Players. has helped alot. Unreal how good this organization is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I don't see them as Cup contenders with one scoring line but I didn't think they'd win last year with only 4 defenseman either. They're better than I expected I guess.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Embrace it. We have become the great Red Wings that we had despised for so long.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:53 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Hockey Gay wrote:
This team went from a team that was retooling this season to Cup contenders yet again in the span of about three weeks. I know they're hot right now but calling up some guys from the AHL who look like Real. Ass. Hockey. Players. has helped alot. Unreal how good this organization is.

It's amazing what fixing up the back end has done. Getting rid of Daley, who wasn't good and wasn't trusted, was the first big step, then getting Erik Gustafsson up and working the Rozsival/Scuderi platoon was even bigger (though it's funny that every idiot with a keyboard said this was exactly what to do with Scuderi but the Hawks still tried him as a full-timer WITH Rozy for a while).

The Oilers have no paucity of reasons to kick themselves, but add to the list that they drafted Erik Gustafsson and didn't sign him, leaving the Hawks to scoop him up and get a bona fide second-pair D for nothing -- something the Oilers could use, God knows.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
So what's the deal with Teuvo and Dano?

Why isn't Teuvo making an impact this season, and why isn't Dano on the roster?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:50 pm 

Teuvo has had trouble playing out of position as a left wing for Toews and Hossa. He's been better at right wing with Desjardins and Danault, but obviously with less responsibility and less ice time. It's part of why I thought there was an outside shot he'd get flipped for Jonathan Drouin. I don't think he's been bad by any means, but he hasn't developed into the sure-thing top-six forward we thought he would be. Still too tentative when he gets looks with the big guys. Panarin had that problem early on but was disabused of it roughly one week into this season. This has been a problem for Teravainen since he got here.

Dano has just flat-out been unable to play for Quenneville. He showed flashes of brilliance with the Beej last year because they were completely awful as usual and the goals had to come from somewhere. Under high expectations, he's been lost without a map. I'm starting to doubt the organization sees him in their long-term plans, meaning that the trade from this summer was basically just Brandon Saad for Artem Anisimov str8^, which isn't a slam dunk but still a pretty good solution to what the problem was. If he gets moved by the deadline I won't be surprised at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:
Teuvo has had trouble playing out of position as a left wing for Toews and Hossa. He's been better at right wing with Desjardins and Danault, but obviously with less responsibility and less ice time. It's part of why I thought there was an outside shot he'd get flipped for Jonathan Drouin. I don't think he's been bad by any means, but he hasn't developed into the sure-thing top-six forward we thought he would be. Still too tentative when he gets looks with the big guys. Panarin had that problem early on but was disabused of it roughly one week into this season. This has been a problem for Teravainen since he got here.

Dano has just flat-out been unable to play for Quenneville. He showed flashes of brilliance with the Beej last year because they were completely awful as usual and the goals had to come from somewhere. Under high expectations, he's been lost without a map. I'm starting to doubt the organization sees him in their long-term plans, meaning that the trade from this summer was basically just Brandon Saad for Artem Anisimov str8^, which isn't a slam dunk but still a pretty good solution to what the problem was. If he gets moved by the deadline I won't be surprised at all.

Thanks for the info.

Based on his dynamic play in last season's playoffs, I expected Teuvo to be a major impact player for the Hawks this year.

It seems like the Hawks would be crazy to give up on a talent like Dano so quickly. But I guess they gotta shore things up for the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:42 pm 

I thought maybe Dano would head to Toronto as part of a package for the surprisingly affordable James van Riemsdyk, but then the guy blew up his ankle and will be stuck on Toronto's injured list for a couple months. I'm not sure what kind of blockbuster the Hawks could get in on now that would necessitate moving him, but if they think he can't play under Q, I guess he's gotta go.