It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Euro 2020
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
In that Italy had better players, I'd say the English players can take some blame.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucky Lil's
I mean the English players.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:12 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
That unraveled in a hurry for England, didn't it.

Its what happens when you let 3 non whites attempt pk's.

When Rashford attempted the Patrick Kane slo-mo goal and miffed it I was just like "oh nooooooo, I know who's getting blamed for this one."

That was egregious. You gotta make that if you’re gonna be that theatrical about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:22 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
When Rashford attempted the Patrick Kane slo-mo goal and miffed it I was just like "oh nooooooo, I know who's getting blamed for this one."

The Great Northern wrote:
The English players didn't lose that game.

folks,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:38 pm 

Sadly this thread unraveled in a hurry.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
It’ll be fine champ . Maybe you can find a more compelling thread somewhere else .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
KDdidit wrote:
In that Italy had better players, I'd say the English players can take some blame.

thought the worst player on the pitch was henderson, while mount was also poor, rice so-so..england got nothing out of sterling/saka/kane. all of england's attacking 1/3 players were sub-par for tactical reasons. i feel as though the early goal blinded southgate and he gifted italy 87 minutes to find the equaliser - which they found 64 mins later.

the italians moved chielleni up the pitch a bit, but technically, they are truly amazing. i never saw a bad touch when it really mattered. balls off the chest or thigh..close control. di lorenzo surrendered a corner early on with a poor touch - can't think of others.

italy started with 3 up top in chiesa/immobile/insigne and finished the match with 3 different attackers in berardi/belloti/bernardeschi. that's their 'b' side attackers and the italians were the 'padrone della casa' in wembley. i saw a bit of lineker/rio ferdinand/alan shearer/frank lampard after the match. rio and lineker shaded some blame on southgate, shearer didn't like kane's preformance at all and lampard says england need to support those who missed the penalties - as they are england's future. i also heard gary neville clearly put blame on southgate - england dropped too deep after the goal, more so, as the match wore on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:14 pm 

I mean Italy was better than they were too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:21 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
It’ll be fine champ . Maybe you can find a more compelling thread somewhere else .

Keep reveling in it little buddy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:01 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

I mean Italy was better than they were too.

Not really.

edit- actually, not at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:15 pm 

They lost because Saka, Sancho and Rashford choked. That's it.

Pickford made the save and hell even Maguire (who was obviously sent out there as a sacrificial lamb that would need to be rescued by the three lions) came through. Maybe they thought they could get cute when Chiesa got hurt, maybe it was the plan all along. Either way they deserve this loss. When one team takes the field of play trying to win and another team is out there trying to make some point the former will always win. Doesn't matter what sport.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:43 am 

Yeah, England was the better team, said no one who watched the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:50 am 

KDdidit wrote:

They played Italy to a draw for a hundred and twenty minutes. When Grealish came in England started controlling the ball way more and hitting the offensive. Those teams were very evenly matched.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
KDdidit wrote:

C'mon KD, I'm pretty sure that every citizen in Great Britian thought they had the better team.

And many others who watched the entire tournament thought so as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:15 am 

in blaming southgate, the italians feel slighted and not respected. this loss is gutting for any england supporter. 1-0 dream start in wembley and southgate folded up and closed the shoppe down.

really poor. anyone here could manage the england side in that manner. in club football, a 1-0 early home lead is akin to blood in the water. one more goal would seal the deal. one more goal against a rocked italy. just by putting pressure on italy, would cause a chiesa/insigne not to be so bold and they likely wouldn't have had the same attacking support from teammates. from being on the front foot, southgate preferred an england on their back foot and england could never fully recover after the italian equaliser.

going forward, i believe the FA will keep southgate for the world cup.

of course some of the england players will get abuse - from print media and the scourge, the bubonic plague of modern times, social media. some of the hits from social media are racial in nature. some assholes (including many from outside england) hurling racial abuse at the failed PK takers is not proof that england is racist. the sjw crew is pointing at this as proof....

i also believe that 'rule britania' was not played by the england supporters band/chanted after pressure from the FA and maybe some of the players. felt odd not to hear the familiar horns start the chant. 'and britons never, never, never shall be slaves' is pearl-clutching in 2021.

all in all, a good tournament..lots of goals..watered-down a bit. belgium and france disappointed, england disappointed in the final and i believe spain is back in the picture. something is wrong with germany and the new manager needs to sort that out asap, world cup will be in 15 months.

congratulations to italy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It's not like I'm a big follower of European football, but I will make a bet if I see a really bad line. Italy was widely considered the superior team going into the tournament but England was favored in the game. I suspect largely due to sentiment.

Still, I thought England played better and pretty much dominated in extra time, especially the first half of extra time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Seacrest wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

C'mon KD, I'm pretty sure that every citizen in Great Britian thought they had the better team.

Not really. England played with more desire...for about 2 minutes. England was a well built team...unlike the Wayne Rooney/Steven Garrard era teams that were a bunch of all stars that hated each other. Italy was easily faster. They didn't flop as much as usual...and got away with a bit more thuggery than usual. The worst thing that happened was England scoring 2 minutes in. They immediately took their foot off the gas and went into a Lovie Smith Tampa 2 style defense...they played not to lose, and lost because of it. They decided to start showing urgency around the 80th minute...I thought they might break through during Extra Time.

The penalty kicks are a different thing altogether. The Rashford miss hurt the most. Wide open and he hits the post. Saka just told his direction too soon. That said, Saka will take it harder because he's only 19. I think he'll take it as a lesson learned and will grow from it. He will need to...Arsenal is counting on him. Rashford doesn't care...he's just a ManYoo cog.

I love the Euro tournament. Just wish this year's ended better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:56 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
in blaming southgate, the italians feel slighted and not respected. this loss is gutting for any england supporter. 1-0 dream start in wembley and southgate folded up and closed the shoppe down.

really poor. anyone here could manage the england side in that manner. in club football, a 1-0 early home lead is akin to blood in the water. one more goal would seal the deal. one more goal against a rocked italy. just by putting pressure on italy, would cause a chiesa/insigne not to be so bold and they likely wouldn't have had the same attacking support from teammates. from being on the front foot, southgate preferred an england on their back foot and england could never fully recover after the italian equaliser.

of course some of the england players will get abuse - from print media and the scourge, the bubonic plague of modern times, social media. some of the hits from social media are racial in nature. some assholes (including many from outside england) hurling racial abuse at the failed PK takers is not proof that england is racist. the sjw crew is pointing at this as proof....

i also believe that 'rule britania' was not played by the england supporters band/chanted after pressure from the FA and maybe some of the players. felt odd not to hear the familiar horns start the chant. 'and britons never, never, never shall be slaves' is pearl-clutching in 2021.

all in all, a good tournament..lots of goals..watered-down a bit. belgium and france disappointed, england disappointed in the final and i believe spain is back in the picture. something is wrong with germany and the new manager needs to sort that out asap, world cup will be in 15 months.

All of this. I’m putting this more on Southgate but Italy deserves credit too. It would’ve been easy to get deflated being down 1-0 that early. But they didn’t falter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:19 am 

Kind of stupid to say team X was the better team when the game couldn't be decided in 120 minutes of play.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
W_Z wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

All of this. I’m putting this more on Southgate but Italy deserves credit too. It would’ve been easy to get deflated being down 1-0 that early. But they didn’t falter.

Chiellini plays like he's still 21. He's a joy to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:48 am 

Seacrest wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

I’m sure everybody in Great Britain and Anglophiles around the world thought they had the better team. That’s what generations of overrating their teams will do to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:34 pm 

starting 11s...it's 50-50 for me. whole roster? england with the edge.

coaching? another story.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's

Diversity was not their strength.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Yeah that was the most striking aspect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:49 pm 

Cue Dennis Hopper True Romance scene.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Not really sure where to put this, but man, what a difference 80yrs make…

https://www.espn.com/soccer/germany-ger ... lly-abused

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
starting 11s...it's 50-50 for me. whole roster? england with the edge.

coaching? another story.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:58 pm 

looking forward to the world cup, it's just about a given that england will be there.

if i'm southgate -

i'd definitely ditch the 5 (3 CBs and 2 wingbacks) in the back. go back to a traditional british 4-4-2 as your scheme and maybe a tactical nuance would be playing the wide attackers away off the touchline in and further up the pitch. no need for 3 CBs when just about everyone, including england, only play with 1 CF.

i'd say there a few spots up for grabs and addition by subtraction (remove kyle walker for an attack-minded player) just by changing schemes. one spot is saka..maybe a grealish/sancho/mount can play wide with sterling paired up with kane as 2 CFs. if bellingham progresses...another option in the CM. i'm thinking if foden is healthy, rice is out of the 11. as far as sancho, not sure how much time he will get at man. united.

overall, i'd say anything less than a semi-final appearance at the world cup will be a disappointment and will lead to southgate's exit.

i say all this as a bit more than casual fan of english football. never had a favorite english club, but i usually support england - whenever i can.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:07 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Not really sure where to put this, but man, what a difference 80yrs make…

https://www.espn.com/soccer/germany-ger ... lly-abused

70+ years of guest workers (turks) and a decade of millions of mostly non-white, muslim immigrants and the germans are now a very pragmatic and practical nation. german industry is crying for more immigrants, the majority of immigrants DON'T want to assimilate, conservative parties are rising in the polls and merkel has stated that the multicultural approach has "failed, utterly failed."

Quote:
Economy Minister Rainer Bruederle, a leader of the Free Democrats coalition partners, along with CDU ministers Ursula von der Leyen (Labour) and Annette Schavan (Education), have spoken out in favor of relaxing rules for foreign workers.

The German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (DIHK) says Germany lacks about 400,000 skilled workers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5