It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: World Cup
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
For the final they should go to sudden death after the 30 minutes extra time. Have a regular "half-time" in advance of it. Allow each time one additional sub per 15 minutes of sudden death.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I thought there was a little bit of rest between regulation and the start of extra time -- but holy shit, between the 1st half and 2nd half of extra time, there may have been 2 minutes of rest. Networks playing the game all over the world should sell more commercial time and let the players take a few more minutes to relax and catch their breath.

Golden Goal was tried already and players were too defensive-minded. They didn't want to concede anything and had no interest in attacking. PKs aren't perfect to end a game but all these players have already run for miles and miles. You have to stop at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
At least they didn't go full pansy like baseball and place a "phantom forward" 10 yards away from the goal.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:28 am 

I don't mind penalty kicks to decide games, maybe its something I have grown up with over the past 40 years, it always seemed a natural way to end a game. Usually at the end of 120 minutes players are dragging, not much offense is being offered by either side. But this tournament was a bit different, there was more offense at the end of the overtime than we have seen in the past. Not just the final but the Argentina/Netherlands game and the Brazil/Croatia game seemed to be more open in overtime than in previous tournaments. I think part of it was the extra substitutions available.

I don't think penalties are necessarily a coin toss. There are goalies who are much better at penalties than others, they may be better at reading the penalty taker or they may be more agile and bigger. And your penalty takers need nerves of steel. Sometimes your best scorers are not good penalty takers or they might not want to take them. And there is the strategy, why Neymar, Brazils best player, did not take a penalty is quite dumbfounding. Leaving him to shoot 5th is idiotic considering he might not get a chance, and thats what happened.

For years it seemed like the Germans never lost in penalties, while the English always did. Was it coincidence? I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
my biggest take is that a mid-season world cup saw higher quality football. the best players who have long seasons were spared that long season.

This was my thought too. Honestly, Doing it in Nov/Dec is a smart move. For a couple reasons, 1. higher quality as you said. 2. For the leagues that hate it, it does suck to take a break midseason but then the players who played in the world cup (the best players) would get a better offseason without having the WC in the middle of the summer break.

I know it will not happen again for a long time, but the idea of in 2026 a game in Philly where it is snowing during the match would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
never really been a fan of penalties to end a match that needs a winner. fifa would say that both sides know the rules and up to you to practice them. in the old days, 3 subs/2 subs nowhere near enough to play on after 120 minutes. i like the additional subs and maybe even one more would allow for a sudden death type overtime after 120 mins. fatigue causes mistakes and mistakes lead to goals and i'm thinking that even a side than bunkers will make a mistake after 120 mins.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:22 pm 

Psycory wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
my biggest take is that a mid-season world cup saw higher quality football. the best players who have long seasons were spared that long season.

This was my thought too. Honestly, Doing it in Nov/Dec is a smart move. For a couple reasons, 1. higher quality as you said. 2. For the leagues that hate it, it does suck to take a break midseason but then the players who played in the world cup (the best players) would get a better offseason without having the WC in the middle of the summer break.

I know it will not happen again for a long time, but the idea of in 2026 a game in Philly where it is snowing during the match would be awesome.

yes, it was a very positive by-product of avoiding the heat and humidity during a qatari summer. that positive by-product was that the best players were fresh for this tournament. fifa is now juggling how to handle the extra sides qualifying for the next world cup. we'll see how they handle that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Spoiler alert: poorly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
The Reyna family delivering on a blackmail threat and outing the US coach for a past DV incident because he was mean to their kid.

Soccer makes the NBA look drama free.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:53 pm 

I've been shitting on the USSF forever, but it's quite possible the Reynas are the idiots here. I mean they all are, but specific to this thing. They need someone outside of US soccer to be the head coach.

KDdidit wrote:
That story is also quite possibly USSF cover your ass bullshit. I mean there's surely some truth to it, but the Fed, the coach, and the player all look worse for it so of course the USSF was dumb enough to leak it. "Off the record." Nothing's off the record dipshits. Reyna divaing up and down the pitch would have been easily better than Jordan Morris. He made an Insta fake apology though so let's go 2026!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
It's more than possible that the Reynas are the idiots here.

What they did was incredibly shitty and bordered on blackmail.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:41 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
The Reyna family delivering on a blackmail threat and outing the US coach for a past DV incident because he was mean to their kid.

And this was 31 years ago and with his current wife? Why did anyone even think people would care? Or is there video? Anything more than an angry soccer mom?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:34 am 

Regular Reader wrote:

And this was 31 years ago and with his current wife? Why did anyone even think people would care? Or is there video? Anything more than an angry soccer mom?

Apparently she was a roommate to Mrs. Reyna when this all went down and saw the marks amongst other things. Reyna's are complete Douches by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:41 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Apparently she was a roommate to Mrs. Reyna when this all went down and saw the marks amongst other things. Reyna's are complete Douches by the way.

I hope she realizes that her apparently lazy son will never play at a high level again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:56 pm 

Gio Reyna will be fine. He's actually pretty good. Doubt his German team will care and the US team seems to like him depending on a new coach. The USSF is such an incestuous little club. The two wives had been friends for decades. Gregg and Claudio teammates for just as long. Ernie Stewart, the sporting director of USSF, was teammates with both of them on the National Team. Same with the US Men's team general manager (Arlington Height's very own) Brian Mcbride. Last year Gregg's kid Sebastian was loaned to Austin FC where Cladio Reyna is the sporting director. People are saying because Austin FC didn't make the loan permanent Claudio fucked Sebastian over and Gregg's treatment of Gio stems from that. The US needs a coach from outside the organization who isn't wrapped up in all this garbage. Also Reyna's wife: would

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:53 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Gio Reyna will be fine. He's actually pretty good. Doubt his German team will care and the US team seems to like him depending on a new coach. The USSF is such an incestuous little club. The two wives had been friends for decades. Gregg and Claudio teammates for just as long. Ernie Stewart, the sporting director of USSF, was teammates with both of them on the National Team. Same with the US Men's team general manager (Arlington Height's very own) Brian Mcbride. Last year Gregg's kid Sebastian was loaned to Austin FC where Cladio Reyna is the sporting director. People are saying because Austin FC didn't make the loan permanent Claudio fucked Sebastian over and Gregg's treatment of Gio stems from that. The US needs a coach from outside the organization who isn't wrapped up in all this garbage. Also Reyna's wife: would

That honestly sounds a lot like higher level travel baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

That honestly sounds a lot like higher level travel baseball.

Runs counter to what you've said before about travel baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:38 pm 

I don’t think that I really referenced that ugly side, but I may be mistaken. It’s been awhile and my son stopped caring years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:15 am 

wow..to me, this is all very simple.

usa hosts and automatically qualifies for next world cup. want to get rid of berhalter because real housewife of new jersey is angry her son didn't start at the world cup? ok. the federation will quickly discover which top euro/s.american manager would want to manage here - only to find out a prima donna's mommy controls who the manager is, based on playing time. none. not one manager. stick with berhalter.

ok, stick with berhalter. call reyna's agent and let reyna know that bygones are bygones and tell your parents to STFU. one peep and you'll never get called to the NT again.

you can't let reyna's mom dictate his playing time because who will be the next player & family attempting to destroy the manager if player gets miffed at playing time or manager's attitude? you can't have this.

in other news, gianluca vialli passed away. under 60, for sure. i remember him being a substitute spark for italy at the 86 world cup. built like a dump-truck and played with a shaved head. RIP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12