It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women’s World Cup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
My oldest is getting more & more into soccer so I wanted this to go well. Thought it’d be fun…

Turns out rooting for France in the men’s tourney was more enjoyable than rooting for our own country.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Franky T wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
I’ve decided to try to tune into the women’s world cup and the USWNT and give it the attention it deserves this year. When does it start?

I don't know what they paid for it, but FOX has to be pissed. I wonder what kind of ratings a Spain vs. England finals will delver?

Higher than the NBA

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Thankfully I’m still pissed I woke up in the middle of the night to watch the 2002 WC and Torsten Frings not get an obvious red for a handball costing the US an spot in the semis, so I wasn’t going to get up for this game. Big SJW guy, but still glad they lost.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:38 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
just saw the replay.

Team USA choked. 2 times they could have won the shootout but they got too cute trying to hit the corner. Just shoot the fucking ball with authority and it goes in. what a stupid way to lose.

it was cool team usa had the goalie take the pk. and she made it. they should change the rules that the goalies need to take a pk too in shootuot.

the game winner was close. right on the line - i thought there had to be space in between to be a goal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:28 am 

the sad thing is, this could've been a good learning moment for the younger players, that arrogance won't get rewarded without performance. since nearly all of the media is harping on the criticism rather than the US women's performance, they're just going to learn that being an ahole is more important than winning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:13 am 

I would never root against a US team. This one was lucky to even make it to the knockout round so they can't say it was a fluke. One win against the worst team in the tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
I would never root against a US team. This one was lucky to even make it to the knockout round so they can't say it was a fluke. One win against the worst team in the tournament.

I agree. I would never root against them. But they make it hard because I don't feel like they represent me either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
they picked the roster based on Q-rating instead of xG.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:34 am 

when the #1 seed in the whole tournament gets shut out twice and plays the way they did, every kind of criticism is earned.

Players have been killed in more interested countries because of a loss, if anyone needs perspective on if they are being treated fairly.

If you want the big bucks, you have to be able to take the ridiculous criticisms of big time athletes.

US fans will care, if at all, for about a week. This is a relatively easy storm to weather

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Can you imagine Herb Brooks coaching today? He would probably be imprisoned for hazing and cruelty. He would probably be sued by Tim Harrer for fraudulently using him just to motivate other players with no intention of putting him on the team.

At least Fitz never made his players skate back and forth for hours in a darkened stadium after playing a full hockey game. But then, Herb didn't tie a terrible women's team from Portugal or go 1-8 in the Big Ten either. He beat the greatest hockey team ever assembled.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:00 am 

good dolphin wrote:
when the #1 seed in the whole tournament gets shut out twice and plays the way they did, every kind of criticism is earned.

Players have been killed in more interested countries because of a loss, if anyone needs perspective on if they are being treated fairly.

If you want the big bucks, you have to be able to take the ridiculous criticisms of big time athletes.

US fans will care, if at all, for about a week. This is a relatively easy storm to weather

Hey the important thing is that the “Barbie” movie just made a billion dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Can you imagine Herb Brooks coaching today? He would probably be imprisoned for hazing and cruelty. He would probably be sued by Tim Harrer for fraudulently using him just to motivate other players with no intention of putting him on the team.

At least Fitz never made his players skate back and forth for hours in a darkened stadium after playing a full hockey game. But then, Herb didn't tie a terrible women's team from Portugal or go 1-8 in the Big Ten either. He beat the greatest hockey team ever assembled.

Herb Brooks would have been forced to put people's pronouns on the back of the jersey!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:25 am 

these last matches were like watching serie a.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:21 am 

I thought the tournament ended when the US was ousted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:22 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I thought the tournament ended when the US was ousted

One of my rules in life is that if Meghan Rapinoe isn't involved I'm not interested.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:44 am 

anyone have an educated guess on the final?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
didn't watch the final, saw the highlites. read the past few weeks (usa today, athletic, blogs) that the uswt had an incompetant (mediocre white male?) male manage them and that england's swedish woman manager would be the perfect candidate for the usa post. unfortunately today, an unknown spanish male managed spain to the title and spoiled that lovely narrative. today's usa today article told me that the manager should get a tiny amount of credit, the rest to the footballers - apparently, the spain goal scorer's father passed away and the sad news wasn't broken to her until after the match.

should be mentioned that england's swedish manager appears to be a stickler for discipline and she didn't start england's most explosive FWD, who happened to stomp on an opponent's back last week.

england's 'keeper saved a penalty in the 2nd half and you'd have thought it would have jolted them back into bossing a match that needed them to score, but spain had them stymied. certain sports have grey areas and a 'keeper moving before a penalty is struck is a grey one. i thought for sure the penalty would be retaken. looks like it depends on the circumstances. a few months ago, saw a spanish ref give m'bappe a 2nd bite after greece's 'keeper saved his 1st penalty in france. m'bappe didn't miss the re-take and france won 1-0.

i saw usa fox network you tube highlites and it was j p doing the game on american network tv. i watched fox sports 2 show and they used the australian (i believe) feed. yeah, j.p. was good doing atlanta thrasher hockey...he is brutal doing this sport.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

This is a false choice. John Wooden never physically, emotionally, or mentally tortured anyone and he is arguably one of the top five American coaches in any sport of all time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:55 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Spain won

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

What in the world do Fitz's penile totalitarianism and racial bullying have to do with the 1980 Olympic hockey team?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:23 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

What in the world do Fitz's penile totalitarianism and racial bullying have to do with the 1980 Olympic hockey team?

Something about being "Woke" if you don't agree with people rubbing their dicks on teammates in the locker room.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: What??
conns7901 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Something about being "Woke" if you don't agree with people rubbing their dicks on teammates in the locker room.

I don't agree with having people rubbing their dicks on teammates. But it ain't the holocaust. Lawrence wants to send kids to Cook county jail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:22 am 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't know if it's "woke" or not, but it is obviously learned helplessness and victimhood. They were so traumatized they never said a word- in fact, many posted positive things about the program- but suddenly when they think there's money to be made, they've all been devastated by having to walk past a couple cocks. I believe the kids call that "a grift."

Anyway. I'm surprised Mike Eruzione isn't suing the Estate of Herb Brooks for being mean to him. I'm sure he suffers trauma to this day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:34 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
The question of whether or not the players were actually traumatized or not is a red herring.

If the Coach allowed, encouraged or ordered the penile hazing and/or racial bullying, he is unemployable at the vast majority of higher education institutions in the country.

There may be a small subset of "anti-woke" schools that would take him to defend an atavistic concept of social identity, but they would be subjecting themselves to unnecessary legal risk, especially for a guy who is nothing more than an average or above average football coach.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Son, we play in a conference that has championships, and those championships have to be won by men with balls. Who's gonna do it? You? The Chairperson of the Gender Studies Department? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lloyd Yates, and you curse the Northwestern Football Program. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Yates's hazing, while tragic, probably won football games; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins Bowl Games. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at faculty meetings, you want me winning those Bowl Games -- you need me winning those Bowl Games. We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent winning football games and promoting the University. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very success that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you put on a jockstrap and try to beat Michigan. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I ORDERED THE PENILE HAZING!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub

i suppose if he was looking at her bosom or face, the uproar would be justifiable in my opinion. spain scored and took the lead in a match they were not expected to win. the spain manager looked to celebrate with anyone near and this female coach happened to be right next to him. if he commits 'accidents' all the time like this, then it's just more of the same and maybe he thinks he has a hugh hefner type clause in his contract to allow him to do this. i'd need to hear and see more proof of lecherous behavior.

the articles expressing outrage have come fast and furious. the head of the FA planting a kiss on the lips of hermoso was way out of line and may still be a hanging offense: career-wise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:42 am 

This has to be the only World Cup coverage I’ve ever seen that has went out of its way to make misogyny a target for criticism. Since the US women’s team blew it (plenty of US born women played for other countries), we can’t celebrate it. We have to take down the patriarchy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
W_Z wrote:
This has to be the only World Cup coverage I’ve ever seen that has went out of its way to make misogyny a target for criticism. Since the US women’s team blew it (plenty of US born women played for other countries), we can’t celebrate it. We have to take down the patriarchy.

Or you could say it's shitty that misogynous men inject themselves into a spotlight that should be on women. He did a bunch of garbage things and then gave the sorry if I offended anyone non-apology. The US public was never going to care that Spain won, maybe if England did, seems an appropriate thing to cover that the head of the FA is a doofus. Happens right as ManU are doing Northwestern-like PR job with Mason Greenwood.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Who went home with the hardware? Maybe if the USWNT coaching staff engaged in a little more inappropriate horseplay with Megan Rapinoe she wouldn't have duffed that PK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next